Newbie Gamer Question

Watch
skunky x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello!

So I am a newbie gamer, and the grand old age of 22. Basically I played assassins creed 2 because I am a history nut and wanted to wander round all the cool stuff. So I've played up until AC3 and loved it. AC4 however. I cannot do. All my housemates will testify that I am ok with the assassinating stuff, but the ship stuff, again, I can't get my head round it. The first little tutorial to board one ship took me 16 attempts.

Now I am attempting to play Mass Effect, as I have heard the plot is really good with great characters.So, I'm playing, and because it's 3rd Person, I need to invert the camera. Which you can't. So I am really struggling playing just because of the camera. I know it's stupid but I can't get used to it. It just doesn't work with my brain.

So. I am here to ask - games, on the xbox 360 which I can invert the camera on, and are heavy on plot and character as opposed to free roam, though if it has free roam, bonus! Recommend me things!

Thanks in advance!
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go to your Xbox dashboard, preferences then control options and set your default controls to inverted. That'll make pretty much every game (where applicable) play with inverted controls.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
skunky x
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Go to your Xbox dashboard, preferences then control options and set your default controls to inverted. That'll make pretty much every game (where applicable) play with inverted controls.

So would that affect Mass Effect which doesn't have the in game option to switch?
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by skunky x)
So would that affect Mass Effect which doesn't have the in game option to switch?
Yup!

skunky x
Rep:
?
Yup!

Awesome. That has made me very happy.
skunky x
Rep:
?
Yup!

So I just checked and you can only invert the y- axis. Not the x- axis. Which is the one I struggle with most.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So I just checked and you can only invert the y- axis. Not the x- axis. Which is the one I struggle with most.
Oh right! That's a rare option tbh.

skunky x
Rep:
?
Oh right! That's a rare option tbh.

So I have just discovered from my friend. The way I describe it is when I am playing 3rd person, I am controlling the camera, bit where the character is looking, and obviously it's opposite in cameras I.e. If you want to look right you turn the camera to the left.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So I have just discovered from my friend. The way I describe it is when I am playing 3rd person, I am controlling the camera, bit where the character is looking, and obviously it's opposite in cameras I.e. If you want to look right you turn the camera to the left.
Yeah, I get you. You're not the only person I know who thinks like this.

Honestly, I'd force myself to learn non inverted. You'll find more games you can play then.

Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That is an awkward problem, it might be worth battling on and learning non inverted. It's a rare preference that's counter intuitive to most games. :sadnod:
skunky x
Rep:
?
I have been. Playing now non inverted and it is horrible but I shall have to get used to it. Also just boarded my first ship on the first go. So go me. The question still stands - games to recommend?.
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have been. Playing now non inverted and it is horrible but I shall have to get used to it. Also just boarded my first ship on the first go. So go me. The question still stands - games to recommend?.
Mass Effect 2 and 3, and the recent tomb raider reboot. All of them have a fair bit of exploration and freedom.
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have never heard of anybody liking the X axis being inverted. I do play with the Y axis inverted, though. Hopefully you can get used to it, because I don't know if most games allow for the other option. If you're a relatively new gamer, I'm sure you will be able to train yourself to get used to it.

Continue with Mass Effect. It's the best series from last gen, in my opinion.

In terms of games to recommend, it depends on what type of genre you like. The games you've mentioned here are third person action-adventures and RPG's. Do you like other types of games? If you like games based around the plot and characters, you may like Final Fantasy. It's an RPG. Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are on the 360. Free roam isn't available at the beginning, but they open up when you get further into them.
Stinkum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure mass effect lets you invert the camera. That's mass effect 3, I've never played 1 or 2.

I'd strongly recommend Far Cry 3, easily on the best games I've ever played. Absolutely gorgeous graphics, beautiful setting, good story, decent characters, amazing gameplay features, lots of hunting, weapons, weapons, levelling up, collecting stuff, free roaming, attacking enemy outposts all over the map. Really amazing open world game, one of the best I've ever played. I wouldn't say it's very heavily driven by its story and characters...it's more about the gaming experience, including things like combat, hunting and exploring.

I'm sure you'd love borderlands (1 and 2), really great games those ones. You can easily spend over a thousand hours playing borderlands 2, it's addictive and offers so many things to do. Decent story, pretty funny, some really hilarious characters and moments. Definitely check out borderlands 2.

There are so many games out there, literally tons of them. It's very hard for others to recommend something that you're guaranteed to like. That's the thing with gaming, you have to try out loads of different games for yourself. You will love some games forever, you will hate some games, you will find some games boring...each person has their own taste.

Anyway, you might want to look at something like Skyrim. I haven't played it but I've heard it's great.
Zorg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Elder Scrolls RPGs have some great breadth and free roaming. Perhaps stick to Skyrim or Oblivion at first, they not as pure RPG as the earlier titles so may be easier to jump in to. Morrowind was an epic game though if you can get your head around some of the elements of the genre.
JoeLen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Farcry 3, Tombraider, SleepingDogs. Some of my favs of other year
Fango_Jett
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Any of the Elder Scrolls except for Skyrim or Onine. Skyrim is casualized rubbish and Online is a very expensive disaster.
Клейтон
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello!

So I am a newbie gamer, and the grand old age of 22. Basically I played assassins creed 2 because I am a history nut and wanted to wander round all the cool stuff. So I've played up until AC3 and loved it. AC4 however. I cannot do. All my housemates will testify that I am ok with the assassinating stuff, but the ship stuff, again, I can't get my head round it. The first little tutorial to board one ship took me 16 attempts.

Now I am attempting to play Mass Effect, as I have heard the plot is really good with great characters.So, I'm playing, and because it's 3rd Person, I need to invert the camera. Which you can't. So I am really struggling playing just because of the camera. I know it's stupid but I can't get used to it. It just doesn't work with my brain.

So. I am here to ask - games, on the xbox 360 which I can invert the camera on, and are heavy on plot and character as opposed to free roam, though if it has free roam, bonus! Recommend me things!

Thanks in advance!
Good for you! You've got about 70 years+ left to game (it's scientifically proven you play games for about 50 years and over from the age u start. My dad started playing in the 90's. He's 47 now... Still no signs of him slowing down) but I would agree with the gentileman above me and say that Bethesda has no reward for loyal customers and this stupid ESO Sub fee better stop right now!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe the phrase you are looking for is FPS (First Person Shooter (or just First Person perspective)).

Elder Scrolls and Fallout games have some great plot, but I'm guessing that's not what you are looking for. Bethesda (that's the people who made them) games tend to have a HUGE amount of content, story, and lore. However you need to go and and find it, and make it. It's not scripted and fed to you through the main story campaign, instead you go out and make important decisions and actions which have a dramatic effect and causing completely different outcomes to the story. For example will you support the NCR and lead the people of the Mojave into a democracy? Support the Legion and kill and enslave everyone? Or fight for your own cause, and create a free New Vegas that you control? Within these games are countless stories, I don't think any 1 person in the world has experienced them all, gone through every possible out come, heard every piece of dialogue, read every single book. It's impossible, they are truly limitless worlds.

If you're looking for games where the plot and story is decided for you then I wouldn't recommend them. If you are? THEN BUY THEM! BUY THEM NOW!!! Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. All are AMAZING games and all winners of countless game of the year awards, and not those bribed or fan boy awards given to every COD and Fifa game made! All these games are Third and First person btw.

The only REALLY good games with scripted story I can think of are all Third Person games. Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Dragon Age, etc.

I'm afraid most the good story games aren't in first person. These are the only ones I can think of atm that are first person: Deus Ex, Dishonored.

Hope this helps.
cisforcallan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas would be my recommendations - fantastic gameplay and the world just gets inside your head!

Also I'd suggest giving Skyrim a go, pretty much for the same reason, but there are dragons!

They can all be picked up quite cheaply nowadays.

Good luck with your gaming!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise