pkflame
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am re-taking AS Geog Unit 1 (last year only got a C )

Do you think the CPG Geog AQA revision guide in enough for an A in unit 1 geography.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pkflame)

Do you think the CPG Geog AQA revision guide in enough for an A in unit 1 geography.
do you have a link to what this book looks like (i.e. amazon) so i can recognise it?

although to be honest unless you are self teaching i don't think a textbook is the key to getting an A. I never use them cause they are often out of date and don't provide current case studies.
pkflame
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by tgwktm)
do you have a link to what this book looks like (i.e. amazon) so i can recognise it?

although to be honest unless you are self teaching i don't think a textbook is the key to getting an A. I never use them cause they are often out of date and don't provide current case studies.
OK thanks, btw here is the link if you wanted to check it out :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Geogra.../dp/1847624170
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OK thanks, btw here is the link if you wanted to check it out :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Geogra.../dp/1847624170
CGP books are always good for summarising things and filling in the gaps so i don't see the harm in that one. but i find the best way to achieve in geography is to take an interest in geographical things around you such as events you hear about through the news. if something interesting happens that you could use as a case study, research it and make a few notes and it will be a lot easier to remember cause you found it out and it is relevant to you. an example of this for me was the recent Chile earthquake, i made notes on that and almost all of my notes for flooding hazards come from the recent UK storms
TheStudent18
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Hi,

Bit of a late response... But I fully agree with what tgwktm has said. CGP books are really useful as you get some good information on case studies and they offer a nice concise, easy-to-read set of text. Having said this however, it is vital that you use the CGP book in conjunction with 'core' text books (i.e. those specifically written for your specification - I know some CGP ones are, but I mean the more in depth books) as these books offer a bit more detail.

Personally, I do revise quite a lot from CGP books, but I always have my other text books open and give them a quick read through just to get the basis of the geographical process, then use the CGP book to get some nice case study information! But geography is one of those subjects that you can expand on once you have the basic knowledge of the topic.

Again, sorry its a bit late, but I just thought another view on it (practically the same as tgwktm's advice) might help you out a little bit more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads