The Student Room Group

Calling out Mauricio Pochettino

So much hype and praise for Pochettino when as far as I can read from the PL table, Soton are 8th and but 2 points ahead of Newcastle who have an inferior squad and a manager who is widely considered to be terrible.

He inherited a team that was roughly in the same position(8th), that was littered with talented players like Lallana, Lambert, Shaw and in the summer he was handed nearly £50m, £15m of which was spent on Osvaldo who was a complete disaster.

Just going to point out that not long before he landed the Soton job he was sacked by Espanyol, so wondering what he's actually done in his career to warrant the praise and football-hipster love in?

To add insult to injury, he hasnt learned any English in well over a year, so Mauricio, if you are reading this(presumably with the help of Google Translate), I'm calling you out amigo!

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't say he's done a bad job or a great job but Southampton play decent football. I'd give him another season before judging him. Don't forget that Osvaldo went to Juventus so he can't be a terrible player.
I'd say Newcastle are slightly fortunate to have accumulated as many points as they have. They've been terrible in a lot of games.

Southampton on the other hand have played some great football, also Pochettino is giving a lot of young players (JWP, Cork etc.) first team experience and getting good results.

I'm also led to believe his English is reasonable but he prefers to use Spanish in interviews to avoid being misquoted.
Reply 3
Not taking the bait.
3/10
Reply 5
Inb4 Moyes joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Fans of many clubs would love to be in the same position as Southampton- of those promoted in recent years think of Crystal Palace, Norwich, Hull for example. I wonder if his English is perfectly adequate to do interviews but he chooses not as he is not that comfortable dealing with the media.
Original post by barnetlad
Fans of many clubs would love to be in the same position as Southampton- of those promoted in recent years think of Crystal Palace, Norwich, Hull for example. I wonder if his English is perfectly adequate to do interviews but he chooses not as he is not that comfortable dealing with the media.

ive heard this too, apparently he can express himself better with a translator. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-translator-southampton-manager-2922166
but in the dressing room he speaks english to players, dont know how credible it is tho.
It would make sense. I think he can probably speak a bit but as you said its easier for him to express himself.

Give him another season at least its not like hes ****ing them up is he? :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Zürich

He inherited a team that was roughly in the same position(8th), that was littered with talented players like Lallana, Lambert, Shaw and in the summer he was handed nearly £50m, £15m of which was spent on Osvaldo who was a complete disaster.

Weren't Southampton close to the relegation zone when he took over? They finished 14th last season and they're looking much better this season.
Reply 10
Original post by Zürich
he hasnt learned any English

Learnt*
Reply 11
Original post by xDave-
Learnt*

:rofl: will rep later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by xDave-
Learnt*

Either is correct, just one is the preferred use in the USA.
I think he can almost definitely speak english he just won't do it to the cameras for one reason or another.

He's done an OK job, about par for the course. Soton just had a really good start to the campaign which blew him slightly out of proportion, he does have them playing a nice style of football though. The trouble with how they play is he doesn't have a big enough squad for it, tiring, hard working football and he doesn't have the players to take out key people like Lallana and rest them without sacraficing quality.
Original post by barnetlad
I wonder if his English is perfectly adequate to do interviews but he chooses not as he is not that comfortable dealing with the media.
He's probably got an acute case of 'Fabio Capello syndrome' where his grasp of English varies depending upon the difficulty of the question being asked.
Original post by Pete_91

So wrong?
Reply 16
Original post by blue n white army
So wrong?

Both are English in origin, one has become the primarily used in the USA however.

I prefer learnt though, distinguishes itself from the use of learned in the context of expertise ("he's a very learned person").

Neither is wrong though.
Reply 17
Original post by Pete_91

Nope, learned is an adjective in British English e.g. a learned individual. It's only American English that they're the same.
Reply 18
Original post by xDave-
Nope, learned is an adjective in British English e.g. a learned individual. It's only American English that they're the same.

Not according to the OED, I addressed the second part in a previous post. It's the same thing people say about using z in place of s. The use of z is actually British English in origin whereas s comes from french influences. Americans adopted the z and we assume that z is something they came up with.
Reply 19
Since when has the Football forum become Countdown's dictionary corner?

Original post by Zürich
So much hype and praise for Pochettino when as far as I can read from the PL table, Soton are 8th and but 2 points ahead of Newcastle who have an inferior squad and a manager who is widely considered to be terrible.

Debateable (despite the last result).Certainly pre-Cabaye's departure anyway. I think Southampton's squad is slightly overrated. Shaw looks a great prospect, but is a prospect nonetheless. I think there's nothing in it, and the league table shows pretty much as much.

They're still on course for a higher placed finish than last season.

Quick Reply

Latest