The Student Room Group

volume of revolution with a circle

Hi,

Suppose I have to find the volume of revolution of a unit circle (centre 0,0 radius r) for the first quadrant when it's turned about the x axis.

As x2+y2=r2y2=r2x2 x^2 + y^2=r^2 \rightarrow y^2=r^2 - x^2 and I need to set the intergrand up in terms of y2 y^2 I have:

π0rr2x2dx \pi \int_0^{r} r^2 - x^2 dx, but then when I integrate and sub in r and 0 respectively for x, I get 0. Have I arrived at the
wrong intergrand?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by marcsaccount
Hi,

Suppose I have to find the volume of revolution of a unit circle (centre 0,0 radius r) for the first quadrant when it's turned about the x axis.

As x2+y2=r2y2=r2x2 x^2 + y^2=r^2 \rightarrow y^2=r^2 - x^2 and I need to set the intergrand up in terms of y2 y^2 I have:

π0rr2x2dx \pi \int_0^{r} r^2 - x^2 dx, but then when I integrate and sub in r and 0 respectively for x, I get 0. Have I arrived at the
wrong intergrand?

How did you get 0? when you evaluate the integral you should get 23πr3\frac{2}{3} \pi r^3 which is correct.
Reply 2
When I sub in r or 0 for x I get π(r33r33)π(r33033)\pi (\frac{r^3}{3}-\frac{r^3}{3}) - \pi(\frac{r^3}{3} - \frac{0^3}{3} ) So not 0 but πr33 -\pi \frac{r^3}{3}

Am I being totally stupid?! :colondollar:
Reply 3
When I sub in r or 0 for x I get π(r33r33)π(r33033)\pi (\frac{r^3}{3}-\frac{r^3}{3}) - \pi(\frac{r^3}{3} - \frac{0^3}{3} ) So not 0 but πr33 -\pi \frac{r^3}{3}

Am I being totally stupid?! :colondollar:

I would not say totally

In the integrand r2r^2 is a constant so the integral is r2xr^2x - you have a 13\frac{1}{3} there suggesting you turned this into r33\frac{r^3}{3}

:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
I would not say totally

In the integrand r2r^2 is a constant so the integral is r2xr^2x - you have a 13\frac{1}{3} there suggesting you turned this into r33\frac{r^3}{3}

:frown:

...but of course! Yes, totally stupid.

Thanks Sir!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
...but of course! Yes, totally stupid.

Thanks Sir!!!! :biggrin:

Madam :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
Madam :biggrin:

I totally made an assumption that you were a man! I have no idea why!

I consider myself sufficiently chastised!

Quick Reply

Latest