Why are whites solely blamed for the slavery of black people? Watch

Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Firstly, I really don't want this to turn into some race hating thread or cause any racist remarks so please keep them to yourselves. But I am genuinely interested to know the answer to this.

It seems like only white people get the stick for this however....

Black people started enslaving white people in the 16th century, far before the trans atlantic slave trade began. English coastal towns were ransacked by African pirates who would work the slaves to death or kill them. Ireland was also heavily plundered and even an entire townsfolk were taken.

Furthermore, the black slaves who were taken to America were not free men, they were already slaves chained up and ready to be sold.

Although the enslavement of black people was much more prevalent in the Arab world whose history of black slavery lasted for 1800 years!

Also a very large proportion of black people are Christian, and we already know the connection with slavery from the Bible. So it seems hypocritical to follow a religion that condones slavery yet at the same time hold deep offence at any mention of slavery.

So taking all that into consideration. Why is it that in modern times, only white people are held accountable for slavery?
JayDiveManc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
Firstly, I really don't want this to turn into some race hating thread or cause any racist remarks so please keep them to yourselves. But I am genuinely interested to know the answer to this.

It seems like only white people get the stick for this however....

Black people started enslaving white people in the 16th century, far before the trans atlantic slave trade began. English coastal towns were ransacked by African pirates who would work the slaves to death or kill them. Ireland was also heavily plundered and even an entire townsfolk were taken.

Furthermore, the black slaves who were taken to America were not free men, they were already slaves chained up and ready to be sold.

Although the enslavement of black people was much more prevalent in the Arab world whose history of black slavery lasted for 1800 years!

Also a very large proportion of black people are Christian, and we already know the connection with slavery from the Bible. So it seems hypocritical to follow a religion that condones slavery yet at the same time hold deep offence at any mention of slavery.

So taking all that into consideration. Why is it that in modern times, only white people are held accountable for slavery?

I know of no-one who has been affected by the Christian slave trade. I know no one who has been affected by the Arab slave trade nor do I live in a country that has been shaped and continues to be shaped by that trade. That is quite untrue about the Atlantic slave trade. Barclays bank and Llyods bank all were started from the slave trade.

The central impact of the African Transatlantic Slave trade you nonchalantly brush aside is the LEGACY. And it’s that legacy that connects us and everyone else posting in this forum today and will continue until the day it’s resolved or addressed.

You cannot (and here is the challenge if you are up for it) point to any other form of slavery (present, past or pre-historic) that has had such an immense and global impact on this planet than the African Holocaust

The outcome of that operation is the crucial factor which in terms of scale and magnitude has gone unsurpassed and has had a profound effect on millions worldwide. Not just because of slavery, that was just the starting point. But because white supremacy would not allow themselves to see blacks as humans and it carried on long after the slave trade was abolished.

Although the slave trade was abolished, slavery was not. So whites who wanted to do the cool thing at the time and be progressive said ” Sure, we’ll stop bringing slaves over from Africa, but I’ll be damned if I give up the ones raising my children and tending my land.”

You argument is a silly as me robbing a bank and then saying “Hey !! Why are you getting at me ? Lots of people have robbed banks !!”

Right and wrong are not proved by what everyone does.

A simple way to determine right and wrong, without getting deep into religion or philosophy, is the Golden Rule, which is not “Do unto others as some others have done”, as your argument would have it, but “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.”

Acts of racism fail this test by their very nature
Jebedee
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayDiveManc)
I know of no-one who has been affected by the Arab slave trade. I know of no-one who has been affected by the Christian slave trade. The same cannot be said of the Trans-Atalantic slave trade.

The central impact of the African Transatlantic Slave trade you nonchalantly brush aside is the LEGACY. And it’s that legacy that connects us and everyone else posting in this forum today and will continue until the day it’s resolved or addressed.

You cannot (and here is the challenge if you are up for it) point to any other form of slavery (present, past or pre-historic) that has had such an immense and global impact on this planet than the African Holocaust

The outcome of that operation is the crucial factor which in terms of scale and magnitude has gone unsurpassed and has had a profound effect on millions worldwide. Not just because of slavery, that was just the starting point. But because white supremacy would not allow themselves to see blacks as humans and it carried on long after the slave trade was abolished.

Although the slave trade was abolished, slavery was not. So whites who wanted to do the cool thing at the time and be progressive said ” Sure, we’ll stop bringing slaves over from Africa, but I’ll be damned if I give up the ones raising my children and tending my land.”

You argument is a silly as me robbing a bank and then saying “Hey !! Why are you getting at me ? Lots of people have robbed banks !!”

Right and wrong are not proved by what everyone does.

A simple way to determine right and wrong, without getting deep into religion or philosophy, is the Golden Rule, which is not “Do unto others as some others have done”, as your argument would have it, but “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.”

Acts of racism fail this test by their very nature
Can you outline some of the ways this has deeply affected you in your life time? Plus explain why those experiences are more important than those felt by families affected in the Arab or African slave trade.
JayDiveManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you outline some of the ways this has deeply affected you in your life time? Plus explain why those experiences are more important than those felt by families affected in the Arab or African slave trade.
Stop being silly will you

Unless you think, once slavery ended racism just stopped ?

Like white people just said "Go free and BAM !! every thing was all good"

Racism has it's roots in slavery. That is why racism is here today. Indeed black people were not enslaved because of colour. It was because they were not christian, all the excuses for slavery came afterwards. That's when you got the "blacks are subhuman" "blacks are not as good as whites"

And that still exists today

So why all the excuses ?

Because part of your sense of self worth is built on being white and how white people are better than everyone else, particularly blacks. A view that does not stand up to an honest look at their past.

After all you did the post. Not me. I don't think I have ever seen a post in TSR blaming white people for slavery. Have you ? But yet you want to plat the victim card ?
Jebedee
Rep:
?

Like white people just said "Go free and BAM !! every thingswas all good"

Racism has it's roots in slavery. That is why racism is here today. Indeed black people were not enslaved because of colour. It was because they were not christian, all the excuses for slavery came afterwards. That's when you got the "blacks are subhuman" "blacks are not as good as whites"

So why all the excuses ?

Because part of your sense of self worth is built on being white and how white people are better than everyone else, particularly blacks. A view that does not stand up to an honest look at their past.

After all you did the post. Not me. I don't think I have ever seen a post in TSR blaming white people for slavery. Have you ? But yet you want to plat the victim card ?
You've got me all wrong here, listen to any black comedian and they will tear white people apart. Relatively modern tv shows and movies have shown black families reject their son or daughter's white boyfriend/girlfriend but without painting it in a negative light. Black people in society are sensitive about slavery, which is fine....but it always falls on the shoulders of white people.

I'm not some ku klux clannie or someone with as you say my "self worth is built on being white".
I'm looking to rationally discuss something here and get some solid answers. If you can't do that without casting silly aspersions about my characters then please step aside and allow someone else to discuss it.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Like white people just said "Go free and BAM !! every thing was all good"

So why all the excuses ?

I should hope not, you only joined yesterday.
JayDiveManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've got me all wrong here, listen to any black comedian and they will tear white people apart. Relatively modern tv shows and movies have shown black families reject their son or daughter's white boyfriend/girlfriend but without painting it in a negative light. Black people in society are sensitive about slavery, which is fine....but it always falls on the shoulders of white people.

I'm not some ku klux clannie or someone with as you say my "self worth is built on being white".
I'm looking to rationally discuss something here and get some solid answers. If you can't do that without casting silly aspersions about my characters then please step aside and allow someone else to discuss it.
What answers are you looking for ?

Are you looking to try to concoct an argument to justify slavery because "well other people have done it"

Well guess what ?
Everyone does that

Indeed scan back at TSR slave post history and you will see that most people pass it off via one of these arguments

"African sold there own"
"Arabs sold them first"
"White abolished slavery"

I have never seen a post in TSR that attacks whites for slavery.

Secondly

How can black people tear white people apart ?

What can I, as a black person, say to you, or any white person that has same impact as N***R ? What ?Honky ? C'mon. A black person can’t even annoy you with a verbal racial word

When a group of people have no power over you, they don’t get to define the terms of your existence, they can’t limit your opportunities, and you needn’t worry much about the use of a racial word to describe you, since, in all likelihood, the slur is as far as it’s going to go.

So let all these comedians or whatever say what they like about white people

What are we going to do next? deny you a bank loan ? Yeah, right.

It’s tough to "tear apart" a group whose power and position allows them to define or redefine the meaning of another group’s attempts at humour

The process doesn’t work in the reverse that's why no black person, no Asian person, no Chinese person can call white person a racial name which does not sound pathetic

Where as white comedian making fun of black people or Asian people

Now this is total different ballgame

Because what they say is not the issue.

The issue is that white peoples insults slurs take place against a backdrop of systemic and institutional racism. And that backdrop–of housing and job discrimination,racial profiling, rise in BNP and Neo-Nazi's, rise in Islamphobia and a media that regularly presents blacks in the worst possible light makes verbal slights take on a meaning well beyond the moment of they happened.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
What answers are you looking for ?

Are you looking to try to concoct an argument to justify slavery because "well other people have done it"

Well guess what ?

Everyone does that

Indeed scan back at TSR slave post history and you will see that most people pass it off via one of these arguments

"African sold there own"
"Arabs sold them first"
"White abolished slavery"

I have never seen a post in TSR that attacks whites for slavery.

Secondly

How can black people tear white people apart ?

What can I, as a black person, say to you, or any white person that has same impact as N***R ? What ?Honky ? C'mon. A black person can’t even annoy you with a verbal racial word

When a group of people haveno power over you, they don’t get to define the terms of your existence, theycan’t limit your opportunities, and you needn’t worry much about the use of aracial word to describe you, since, in all likelihood, the slur is as far asit’s going to go.

So let all these comedians orwhatever say what they like about white people

What are we going to do next? deny you a bank loan ? Yeah, right.

It’s tough to "tearapart" a group whose power and position allows them to define or redefinethe meaning of another group’s attempts at humour

The process doesn’t work in the reverse that's why no black person, no Asian person, no Chinese person can call white person a racial name which does not sound pathetic

Where as white comedian making fun of black people or Asian people

Now this is total different ballgame

Because what they say is not the issue.

The issue is that white peoples insults slurs take place against a backdrop of systemic and institutional racism. And that backdrop–of housing and job discrimination,racial profiling, rise in BNP and Neo-Nazi's, rise in Islamphobia and a media that regularly presents blacks in the worst possible light makes verbal slights take on a meaning well beyond the moment ofthey happened.
[/FONT]

I'm not concerned over previous posts in TSR, my point is that in society it is considered acceptable to rib on white people because nothing which is said or done to us will ever be as bad as what white people did to black slaves. Which is true, but since Africans were enslaving people way before, I think that means you can't use it as ammunition.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
because most people don't care much about history. Btw its only in america where they're blamed for slavery lol, no one really holds that opinion here.

Slavery was common place everywhere in the world back then and the chiefs in africa used to sell their people as slaves to whoever would buy them.
JayDiveManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not concerned over previous posts in TSR, my point is that in society it is considered acceptable to rib on white people because nothing which is said or done to us will ever be as bad as what white people did to black slaves. Which is true, but since Africans were enslaving people way before, I think that means you can't use it as ammunition.
You are just repeating an argument you have said before.

You are trying to justify slavery because other people have done it too which is like me killing someone and saying "What's your problem ? Other people have killed !!"

Secondly

Africans were not selling "their own”, they were selling their enemies. They were no more selling “their own” than, say, “whites” were killing “their own” during the Holocaust.

Plus most African countries did not sell slaves and some even fought against it. But because Europeans back then could control the supply of guns there was little Africans could do to stop it.

The Transatlantic slave trade was on a much greater scale than anything the Africans or anyone else ever did in the history of slavery. Countries were destroyed and millions died. Over 12 million were sold in less than 400 years, something so huge that it changed the genetic map of the world.

The Transatlantic slave trade was racist. The African slave trade was not that.

But it is as a derailing argument that your arguments comes into its own:

Your main purpose is to draw attention away from what white people did by turning the tables.

Africans sold their own people as slaves.
Africans are still selling slaves.
Arab traders sold slaves too.
Slavery goes back thousands of years.
Whites stopped slavery.
Blacks are better off here than in Africa

And on and on
Jebedee
Rep:
?
My god, I never said I was justifying it! What is your problem? My point is that modern white people are being held accountable for something which happened before they were born. But so did many other races before you were born! I don't see why the scale makes much difference. A murderer who kills only one person is still a murderer. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are…..n and on
A) No, the argument is that why are white people only blamed for it. It is not about justifying slavery

B) Who cares if it was racist?

C) The slave trade has existed for thousands of years. There is nothing special about the Transatlantic slave trade except for the fact it took place relatively recently in History and over very large distances.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My god, I never said I was justifying it! What is your problem? My point is that modern white people are being held accountable for something which happened before they were born. But so did many other races before you were born! I don't see why the scale makes much difference. A murderer who kills only one person is still a murderer. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.
No one with a brain holds all white ppl responsible for the actions of their ancestors. That would be dumb.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
A) No, the argument is that why are white people only blamed for it. It is not about justifying slavery

B) Who cares if it was racist?

C) The slave trade has existed for thousands of years. There is nothing special about the Transatlantic slave trade except for the fact it took place relatively recently in History and over very large distances.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to express with my poor attempt at words.
JayDiveManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Who is holding you accountable ? If it don't apply to you, then y are you getting defensive ? You don't offended by things that don't apply to you

And please don't try and take center ground here. You know where try make out like your the calm, rational one, when your up here basically saying "killing millions of black people was not that bad because other people have killed too"

No person has ever been able to give an example of anything anyone has said that promoted white people feeling guilty. It is completely in your head. It's a big impotent rage party going on inside of you.

Maybe you just can't bear white people being seen in negative light ?

And it's the old

argument

Talking about race is too much for you because you do feel guilty. Acknowledging someone else's oppression at the hands of "your people" (and yourself) makes you feel too terrible. You want something easier - something that makes you feel good.

I think that feeling guilty is one preliminary step that many white people go through when they begin to realize the enormity and depravity of white supremacy and how you have all bought into it to some extent.

No one likes to admit that they've been fooled, and many experience a little self-blame when the reality of racism begins to dawn on them.

Or maybe you do not feel guilty at all ?

Maybe you would be more than happy if we were back in chains ?

Maybe you feel no guilt about the past and how you benefit from it ? Maybe you ENJOY (secretly) the doings of the past BECAUSE of the power and ego boost it gives you ?

A murderer who kills only one person is still a murderer. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.
There was no slavery in Africa comparable to Trans-Atlantic slave trade,

A murderer who kills 3 people will be dealt more harshly than a murderer who kills one person
Jebedee
Rep:
?
x
Please go away, you're really irritating. I don't feel guilty about it because I didn't do it. I empathise with people who were slaves but none of them are around anymore so there isn't much I can do about that.

I don't feel like I'm in some sort of a group because I am white. All I'm saying is that the race card is not a card that can be used because all races are guilty of slavery. No race deserves any extra sensitivity from any other race. That's how equality works.
KingCrab
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
because liberals are mainly white people whereas other cultures don't give a ****.
Callumfm
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find it amazing that the starter of this post has been accused of receiving an "ego boost" and wanting blacks "back in chains" from a completely valid question that doesn't suggest anything even remotely like that.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
If anything, he is unwittingly illustrating my point.
SamTheMan95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You say you dont want to start an argument about race, yet you begin a very sensitive topic by pointing the finger at blacks and Arabs. Too many of these threads are popping up and giving TSR bad rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise