NinjaJazz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am a 16 year old currently at a school studying my GCSES. I was just looking at some apprenticeships online and saw that most of them have a starting date of before August, does this mean I will have to wait to find vacancies nearer the time of results day? Can I contact businesses informing them of my situation?

Thanks for responses in advance
samsama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm speaking from experience as an engineering apprentice, but it may be different for other industries.

If you want to start an apprenticeship this year, you'll need to be quick and apply ASAP. Many companies advertise vacancies in January/February and the deadline for applications is usually around February/March. The reason for this is because there are different stages in the application process including taking tests, and an interview which can take place over several weeks.

Of course, the exact dates will differ for each company, with some being much earlier or much later; you can find this information on the company's website.
NinjaJazz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by samsama)
I'm speaking from experience as an engineering apprentice, but it may be different for other industries.

If you want to start an apprenticeship this year, you'll need to be quick and apply ASAP. Many companies advertise vacancies in January/February and the deadline for applications is usually around February/March. The reason for this is because there are different stages in the application process including taking tests, and an interview which can take place over several weeks.

Of course, the exact dates will differ for each company, with some being much earlier or much later; you can find this information on the company's website.
I have already been accepted into a sixth form and college but I was just browsing apprenticeships to see if I could find one that would give me equal/better qualifications whilst getting paid. I was looking at one that stated the closing date for apps is 2 weeks, and the start date is in a month. Does this mean I can start before I get my results? Just a bit confused
samsama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't recommend doing an apprenticeship just because it's paid; you'll typically get paid less than £6/hour (which is worse off than stacking shelves in a supermarket). It's also hard work - you'll be in the real working world, so no summer holidays and half terms. You'll have to wake up early every morning and work harder and for longer each day and it can be quite stressful sometimes!

However, you do get valuable work experience, and decent qualifications out of it. With some apprenticeships, the company will also sponsor you for higher education at a local university. It is worth noting though, that to do a degree part-time, it will take you twice as long (6 years part-time vs 3 years full-time), although you will have no debt. Doing an apprenticeship is a big commitment; it's four years of your life in one company. I would definitely make sure it's the right thing for you before you decide to jump into it.

As for your question whether you can start before your results - you'll have to contact and ask the company/training provider directly. Generally speaking you need to be predicted at least a grade C in English, Science, and Maths, but again this differs between different schemes.
markjonesaaa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi

Apprenticeships are a great way to earn whilst you learn, as mentioned above, you should just do an Apprenticeship because you get a wage. It needs to be because you want to get valuable experience in the workplace and actually get your foot on the career ladder.

Quoted from the National Apprenticeship Service:
"A real job.
All apprentices should work for at least 30 hours a week, apart from in exceptional circumstances. [7]
Over 150,000 employers are offering Apprenticeships in more than 200,000 locations.[2]
Apprenticeships are available at Intermediate, Advanced and Higher (degree) level, covering more than 170 industries and 1500 job roles, from advertising to youth work via environmental engineering and nuclear decommissioning."

Many employers now are more likely to take on an Apprentice rather than a graduate as they are willing to put the time in and start the Apprentice from the bottom and work them up (raising wages from the very beginning) rather than taking on a graduate at (eg. 19k) and they have no work experience and take longer to settle into the routine,

I was an Apprentice 2 years ago, I left 6th form after 2 months and joined an IT Apprenticeship, Best decision of my life, i wouldn't be where i am today if i had stayed on in school!.

If you need any more info on Apprenticeships you can find it all on www.apprenticeships.org.uk

Best Wishes,

Mark Jones
Apprenticeship Vacancy Coordinator
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads