What size rucksack is best?!

Watch
brooksclaire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hellooooo!

I'm travelling to Southern Belize to sub-tropical rainforest for my dissertation research and wanted to see if people had any general advice?!

Ultimately - I don't know what size rucksack I need?
I've been looking at 60-65 rucksacks - but I don't know if I need that much space...

I need to take 5 tshirts, 2 vests, 3 trousers, 1 nice outfit, wellies/trainers/boots etc
The rest of the stuff I will be taking is equipment - or mosquito repellent

What size rucksack do you guys think?
Any MUST TAKE items?

Cheers,
Claire
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The size that doesn't smash people in the face when you turn around
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The following article is the best thing I've ever read on packing for travelling:

http://www.travelindependent.info/whattopack.htm
lauralocket
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I have a 100lr backpack which is one of the larger backpacks that I have seen available.
If you're taking what you're claiming above, then I'd recommend a 60lr backpack, the brand that I'm using at the moment is Vango if you're looking for a recommendation.
It's better to have a backpack too big than too small if you want to take home some trinkets and whatever.
My essentials when travelling in hot countries would definitely be a water spray in a can, it saved me multiple times when I was travelling around Mexico last Summer!
Don't pack any denim! It ends up making your backpack REALLY heavy!
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Clothes in a 20l compression bag then guestimate the volume of your equipment then leave some for extras

6 months in Australia and I now have (most lists online are what people packed which is never the same as what you keep):

7 sets of boxers/socks
2 pairs of jeans (did have two shorts then 1 & 1 because of weather)
swimming trunks
kag in a bag
hoody (never goes in my rucksack, it takes up too much room so gets worn or round waist)
1 shirt
4 vests
2 tshirts

shampoo
soap
toothbrush
toothpaste
deorderant
no other toiletries aren't worth carrying around imo

1 travel towel
no proper towels cause they take up too much room. It dries quick enough to be handwashed if needed before clothes washing day

my gym crap
my belt takes up a silly amount of room but I couldn't not have one for a year

walking boots (never in rucksack, always worn)
flipflops
trainers (skate, all black so can pass for smart)

laptop, charger and usb cable for phone

With all clothes in a 20l compression bag (I can't recommend them enough but you do need to get over your clothes being crushed/ironing a lot more often than normal) I have loads of space left in my 65l bag (vango too but primarily because it fit me best, that matters a lot). The space is good because I end up with tuppaware and tape and olive oil and useful stuff that I don't want to keep buying every new place.

I don't think anyone needs 3 pairs of trousers (I wear my board shorts in case of some odd trouser emergency). In my limited experience of sub-tropical rainforest, you don't need wellies, walking boots will do, and it may get chilly or wet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads