girldoingherGCSE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
We have a controlled assessment coming up soon. We have to write a short story. I am currently getting As in English but I want to aim for a A*. I just can't think of a plot, I have been looking for inspiration for the last week and nothing. anyone got any ideas? I want it to be quite a dark story nothing to cheesy? Thankyou
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by girldoingherGCSE)
We have a controlled assessment coming up soon. We have to write a short story. I am currently getting As in English but I want to aim for a A*. I just can't think of a plot, I have been looking for inspiration for the last week and nothing. anyone got any ideas? I want it to be quite a dark story nothing to cheesy? Thankyou
Hmm, I'm sure we can all help here. First of all, I've moved your thread into the English forum where it will hopefully get a better response.

Let's start with, what are your favourite stories in the same genre? Do you have any ideas for some characters?
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How about having a depressed character who visits this deserted house. Reader is initially unaware of whose house it is, then do like a twist then where you reveal the character is in fact a ghost and is visiting his family home.

I recently did my short story essay for iGCSE Eng and have done something like the above...

Good luck!
girldoingherGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jalal Uddin)
How about having a depressed character who visits this deserted house. Reader is initially unaware of whose house it is, then do like a twist then where you reveal the character is in fact a ghost and is visiting his family home.

I recently did my short story essay for iGCSE Eng and have done something like the above...

Good luck!
This is actually a really good idea, thankyou xx
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is actually a really good idea, thankyou xx
Glad I could be of any help.

Your username made me laugh:rolleyes:
rocket0612
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We have a controlled assessment coming up soon. We have to write a short story. I am currently getting As in English but I want to aim for a A*.
What will get you the A* is 2 things closely linked. First, pay close attention to the form of a short story. A short story usually doesn't start at the beginning (nor should it have a middle or and ending - which i will explain), it starts at a moment in a character's life. We learn little about the character and receive succinct, short descriptions. Plot is not what a short story is about either, given it is short you don't have time to build this. I would focus on a story with a message, moral or maxim exposed by a Joycean epiphanic moment which comes at the end - yet at the end you will have a climax without conclusion - this gives the reader something to think about, just as the great short story writers did. Secondly, use different literary techniques when telling your story.

I hope this helps, but do have a quick read up on the form of a traditional short story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
girldoingherGCSE
Rep:
?
i was thinking about doing something along the lines of this- starting at a point and working back; however I was unsure as it it different to alot of formats of short stories. Thankyou
girldoingherGCSE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jalal Uddin)
Glad I could be of any help.

Your username made me laugh:rolleyes:
Your welcome, every username I tried seemed to be unavailable so this is what i settled for
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.38%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (263)
58.84%
No (151)
33.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise