The Student Room Group

One legged workouts? Anyone recommend?

I have sprained my ankle badly and the doctor has told me not to put any weight on it for the next few weeks. I don't want to give up exercising. I figure there are loads of disabled athletes that manage, so why can't I for a couple of weeks.

Can anyone suggest some exercises I could do for core, upper and lower body? Obviously I can't keep going to the gym.
Reply 1
Swimming and light cycling I wouldn't imagine would be too strenuous.
Reply 2
Using a wheelchair is good exercise
Original post by Moura
I have sprained my ankle badly and the doctor has told me not to put any weight on it for the next few weeks. I don't want to give up exercising. I figure there are loads of disabled athletes that manage, so why can't I for a couple of weeks.

Can anyone suggest some exercises I could do for core, upper and lower body? Obviously I can't keep going to the gym.

If I hurt my ankle I would just do leg exercises that didn't antagonize it, i.e. leg extension or leg curls on the machines

Original post by pjm600

I disagree, swimming and 'light' cycling would require you to move your ankle extensively. On the rotation for the stationary cycle and whilst kicking for swimming.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nopenopenope
disagree, swimming and 'light' cycling would require you to move your ankle extensively. On the rotation for the stationary cycle and whilst kicking for swimming.

Sure, but the OP didn't mention not moving it, only not putting any weight on it.
Reply 5
Original post by pjm600

Am not allowed either :/
Reply 6
Original post by pjm600
Sure, but the OP didn't mention not moving it, only not putting any weight on it.

Sorry thought that would be obvious but nope, not allowed to move it either, it's a very bad sprain.
Reply 7
Why can't you go to the gym? I've watched people on crutches train before.

Bench with no leg drive, raise your legs if need be. Overhead press seated. All cable rows and pull downs. All arm stuff. Any core stuff without your feet on the ground- leg raises and v sits for example. As mentioned, leg curls and extensions for lower body.
Original post by pjm600

Bar the ankle movement required to swim or cycle, you have to push against something to do both exercises anyway, which is weight

Quick Reply

Latest