Lochy99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The question I've got is:
Compare the ways in which Larkin and Abse write about music in their poetry.
Could anyone give me any help because I'm not sure what to write. The poems I'm thinking of using are 'For Sidney Bechet' and 'Broadcast' for Larkin and 'At the Concert' for Abse
Sloppy Jumpers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there!

Well, have you got any ideas so far? And any parts of the texts you want to draw attention to? If so, upload them here and we can exchange ideas!

SJ
Lochy99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Sloppy Jumpers)
Hi there!

Well, have you got any ideas so far? And any parts of the texts you want to draw attention to? If so, upload them here and we can exchange ideas!

SJ
All I've really thought of so far is that Larkin seems to present music in a really positive life, for example in 'For Sidney Bechet' he states that "my crescent city is where you're speech alone is understood and is greeted as the natural noise of good" which suggests that music is his (Sidney Bechet's) language and the speaker understands it and that it's a natural thing and that it's a good thing.
Also, in 'Broadcast', Larkin describes "your face among all those faces, beautiful and devout before cascades of monumental slithering" (the monumental slithering I'm assuming is the music) which may be him saying that he likens her face to beautiful music. Again this is really positive.
However, Abse seems to see music differently in 'At the Concert', he seems to almost mock the whole idea of the concert and suggests that "I pretend to listen to Klump's news free-form yawn-fecund Machine of Dissonances" which also suggests his boredom.

I've noticed that it seems the tables have turned - normally Larkin is quite bleak, detached and depressing whereas Abse is more personal and full of hope but in this respect it seems to be the opposite - Larkin is the positive one whereas Abse is the negative one - maybe I could mention this as well?

Apart from this, I haven't really thought of anything else!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads