random647
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I would ultimately like to apply to Oxford or Cambridge with the hope to study French and Spanish. My A level choices are;

• French
  • Spanish
  • Maths
  • Classical Civilisation

I would study these subjects at AS and drop maths at A2. What do you think? I have the possibility of getting my full Maths A level next year but would that distract me from spending more time on languages with the end result being the university not recognising it as anything great as Maths isn't related at all to anything i want to do?

Thanks
Jamerson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by random647)
Hi, I would ultimately like to apply to Oxford or Cambridge with the hope to study French and Spanish. My A level choices are;

• French
  • Spanish
  • Maths
  • Classical Civilisation

I would study these subjects at AS and drop maths at A2. What do you think? I have the possibility of getting my full Maths A level next year but would that distract me from spending more time on languages with the end result being the university not recognising it as anything great as Maths isn't related at all to anything i want to do?

Thanks
Of course I'm not an expert, but wouldn't Oxbridge prefer maths to Classical Civilisation?
random647
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Jamerson)
Of course I'm not an expert, but wouldn't Oxbridge prefer maths to Classical Civilisation?
That's what a few people have said but maths isn't related to anything i want to do, i want to study languages and so wouldn't classical civilisation and the origin of languages and civilisation in Europe be more relevant than the ability to integrate?

A teacher said classical civilisation would be more important as if you wanted to study Medicine at Oxbridge you wouldn't study art or media studies at a level
llamaspoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's what a few people have said but maths isn't related to anything i want to do, i want to study languages and so wouldn't classical civilisation and the origin of languages and civilisation in Europe be more relevant than the ability to integrate?

A teacher said classical civilisation would be more important as if you wanted to study Medicine at Oxbridge you wouldn't study art or media studies at a level
Classical Civilisation isn't a 'hard subject', whereas maths is. I would recommend that you contact someone at Oxford and ask whether they would accept Classical Civilisation as a third A-Level.
Puffin Boffin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
By studing maths you show that you are a broad candidate who can do a wide range of skills. Plus if after your degree you want to go into business it would help. To be honest what you chose should make too much of a difference and only you are able to truly make the decision. Best bit of advice speak to your teachers and see what they say, email Oxbridge with this query and try looking at a-level past papers, you won't know how to answer the question but it gives an insight into how the course is assessed.

If your worried that maths is difficult - don't, it is easily accessible to a good GCSE student and is straightforward in how iris assessed.
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

• French
  • Spanish
  • Maths
  • Classical Civilisation

Thanks
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Check that ^
As it said, arts applicants should have at least 2 A1 or A2 subjects. All your subjects are on the A lists so your fine.

I would advise to keep the maths if you can though - although you say it's unrelated to languages I was told when I applied that maths is considered an advantage for Japanese applicants as it shows you have the logic skills necessary to cope with things like grammar. So I can't see how it would damage your chances at all (unless it did make your language grades suffer).

Plus more and more students are taking 4 A Levels, shows different skills etc etc.
And.... if you know your stuff it is way way easier to get an A* in maths than the others. After all, maths is right or wrong. I say this having dropped maths after GCSE and then picking it up and doing the full A Level in Year 13. It was my only A* and I scored so highly that I could have got a 0 in my 6th module and still have got an A* overall.

Whereas I got As in my three languages - got screwed over by the essay question in the French exam and got asked some very unexpected questions that I then blanked on in the German oral
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (688)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (865)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads