Space Sloth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am studying AS OCR Philosophy + Ethics. In the exam there are two parts: A01 and A02. I am unsure whether it is necessary to do a summary at the end of part A01. I am quite slow at writing so I don't want to write a summary if it's not necessary because it would leave me less time to write up A02. I don't see how writing a summary would give me any more marks because it would just be summarizing all the points I have already gone through. Should I bother writing one or not?

Does anyone else feel that 45 mins is not enough time to write a ~4-5 page essay? I find it impossible to do without completely rushing it.
:mad:
Clareicles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would suggest that a summary is superfluous at the end of an a) question. If you've got the time, feel free, but you're right to prioritise.

As for 4-5 sides - I cannot think of a single examiner who would be expecting you to write that much in 45minutes.
emma7645
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Space Sloth)
I am studying AS OCR Philosophy + Ethics. In the exam there are two parts: A01 and A02. I am unsure whether it is necessary to do a summary at the end of part A01. I am quite slow at writing so I don't want to write a summary if it's not necessary because it would leave me less time to write up A02. I don't see how writing a summary would give me any more marks because it would just be summarizing all the points I have already gone through. Should I bother writing one or not?

Does anyone else feel that 45 mins is not enough time to write a ~4-5 page essay? I find it impossible to do without completely rushing it.
:mad:
I totally agree, I'm doing the same course and I'm absolutely terrified! How is it going for you at the moment?
my_baby_turtles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A in AS OCR Philosophy and Ethics last year.
I'd recommend just a brief sum up in your conclusion. Don't leave it until the end to sum up/ put forward an idea. Don't waste time repeating yourself as it is a lot writing for 45 minutes. I wrote about 3ish sides of exam script for my A01 answer. I write about 5 now for A2. You'll be surprised how much you write in the exam.
Hope this helps.
_alf24
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's best to do some sort of summary even if it pretty much just re-tells the question with a few other points that you've mentioned as it concludes the essay better rather than just stopping.
belzwantswood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm taking the same course! Only two years early...and in half the time (4 hours a fortnight instead of the usual 8). Our teacher told us to aim for no more than 2 sides of A4, as this will make us be more concise. Some may struggle with this, but after you pass 1 side of A4, you'll know you should be past halfway with your essay and ready to wrap it up. It means you only get the essentials in and don't take as much time. Hope this helped!
balletgirl10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We're not told to write anymore than 2 and half to 3 pages for a 25 mark question as you should be able to fit everything in your answer in this space and then write a page to a page and half for a 10 marker
Amethysst
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have never got less than 22/25 for a 25 Marker and i only ever write 2 sides, 2 and a half at most so dont worry
I got 10/10 in a 3/4 page 10 marker once so dont worry!
JonnyD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doesn't matter so much how much you write but how much of the good info is in there... If you're succinct you can write very little and still get full marks. The general rule we learned is spend 30 mins on the 25 marker and 15 mins on the 10 marker.

I don't think you get extra marks for a conclusion, but it reads better if you do a short summary at the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.75%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (304)
29.89%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (493)
48.48%

Watched Threads