MedicOllie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok so I've got an offer from both of these medical schools, but I'm having trouble knowing which one to pick. I've done all the stuff people normally do in this situation; make lists of pros and cons, think about what I want etc, but I'm no closer to a decision. Therefore it would be great to hear what you guys think!
ukmed108
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
SGUL, because its London.
matilda ---
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In which can you see yourself more come September?
matilda ---
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ukmed108)
SGUL, because its London.
So if a uni / medical school is in London...?
ukmed108
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matilda ---)
So if a uni / medical school is in London...?
Its automatically better as its more well known, has better hospitals with diverse cases and tends to have better consultants since London draws in talent.

Now of course this doesn't mean all London schools are better than all non-London schools obviously, but it does make SGUL better than Plymouth.
matilda ---
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its automatically better as its more well known, has better hospitals with diverse cases and tends to have better consultants since London draws in talent.

Now of course this doesn't mean all London schools are better than all non-London schools obviously, but it does make SGUL better than Plymouth.
But league table wise, St George's isn't really that good of a med school - in the below case, ranking 31st, of 31, with Plymouth taking 6th place...

http://www.theguardian.com/education...uide-medicine1
ukmed108
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But league table wise, St George's isn't really that good of a med school - in the below case, ranking 31st, of 31, with Plymouth taking 6th place...
Oh i know, SGUL is worst in the league, but come on... its plymouth.

Try telling anyone in one breath you go to this school: Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry

They would have fallen asleep long before you hit "Medicine".

Also, any league table that placed Plymouth 6th in the UK isn't worth its salt. Looking at it now, they placed Imperial behind Plymouth .. I don't think anyone in the world believes that. I don't even think the authors of the table believe that...

IMO, a more realistic league table is to sort the rankings by entry tariff.
matilda ---
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh i know, SGUL is worst in the league, but come on... its plymouth.

Try telling anyone in one breath you go to this school: Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry

They would have fallen asleep long before you hit "Medicine".

Also, any league table that placed Plymouth 6th in the UK isn't worth its salt.
So you would say George's over other med schools outside London, even though it's ranked the worst med school in the country, purely because it's in London?

And is this an accurate representation of national opinion in medical circles? Would St George's also be viewed in a more positive light than UEA for example say?
ukmed108
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you would say George's over other med schools outside London, even though it's ranked the worst med school in the country, purely because it's in London?

And is this an accurate representation of national opinion in medical circles? Would St George's also be viewed in a more positive light than UEA for example say?
Probably not around the country, but if you were to poll the people in London, they would probably say so.

I would say SGUL is viewed in a slightly more positive light than UEA. I mean at least with SGUL, you get a University of London medical degree which you won't even have to explain in Abu Dhabi. You would be explaining UEA to everyone the moment you leave East Anglia. Whether you think that's fair is up to you, i don't, but its just true.

I need to add a disclaimer that in practice, no one cares where you went to medical school...
matilda ---
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably not around the country, but if you were to poll the people in London, they would probably say so.

I would say SGUL is viewed in a slightly more positive light than UEA. I mean at least with SGUL, you get a University of London medical degree which you won't even have to explain in Abu Dhabi. You would be explaining UEA to everyone the moment you leave East Anglia. Whether you think that's fair is up to you, i don't, but its just true.

I need to add a disclaimer that in practice, no one cares where you went to medical school...
Hmm .. okay.

You haven't, by any chance, firmed St George's have you? :-D
ukmed108
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm .. okay.

You haven't, by any chance, firmed St George's have you? :-D
Haha no i don't study at St. Georges, that would be incredibly biased of me and i probably would have added a little more substance to my vacuous arguments.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So much awful advice on here.....

Pick where you want to be for the next 5 years of your life.

Forget league tables and forget about prestige. I picked a non London uni over a London uni because I felt happier.
someone01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you visited both universities? I don't know if you have realised but st george's is in the ****tist part in London, seriously that area is horrible! (I live in London and I have been there many times, Tooting is a horrible place, I wouldn't spend 5 years going to uni there). Whereas when I went to Plymouth I absolutely LOVED the place, the university is so nice and new and the city is beautiful! right by the coast, I loved it. I might be a bit biased because i firmed Plymouth (It was for dentistry though, but I firmed it over Barts which is in London and over Newcastle who is high up in the league tables). I don't how different their dental and medical programmes are but for dentistry I love the way they teach it, and they start seeing patients really early. So I personally advice you to go to Plymouth, but it is your choice, just have a good look at the way they teach medicine and the place in general, where do you see yourself spending 5 years? Best of luck with making the decision! (and with getting the grades if your offer is conditional)

Posted from TSR Mobile
MedicOllie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I've thought about it a lot more and I'm leaning more towards plymouth because as someone has already said, I think I will be happier there and the style of teaching appeals to me more. But at other times I think that I like the idea of London more.
ukmed108
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Miel Purple)
So much awful advice on here.....

Pick where you want to be for the next 5 years of your life.

Forget league tables and forget about prestige. I picked a non London uni over a London uni because I felt happier.
Different strokes for different folks. Obviously, you pick what makes you happy... Don't deny that for some this is prestige, for others its city, course, family, for others its a mix.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Different strokes for different folks. Obviously, you pick what makes you happy... Don't deny that for some this is prestige, for others its city, course, family, for others its a mix.
Prestige in medicine counts for little-ask any doctors or med students on here.

Internationally may be a different matter but a degree from the uk is prestige in itself. Boo hoo London.
ukmed108
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prestige in medicine counts for little-ask any doctors or med students.

Internationally may be a different matter but a degree from the uk is prestige in itself. Boo hoo London.
Depends on your goals. If you are planning on staying in the UK, it doesn't matter, if you are planning on going abroad it probably does.

The only 2 fellows from a non-US medical school at the MGH's GI fellowship program are from Oxford and Cambridge.
http://www.massgeneral.org/gastroent...t_fellows.aspx

The fact still remains that some UK medical schools are more competitive than others, and when provided multiple offers, students will consistently choose some schools over others.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on your goals. If you are planning on staying in the UK, it doesn't matter, if you are planning on going abroad it probably does.

The only 2 fellows from a non-US medical school at the MGH's GI fellowship program are from Oxford and Cambridge.
http://www.massgeneral.org/gastroent...t_fellows.aspx

If prestige truly didn't matter at all, why are some UK medical schools more competitive than others?
Liverpool and Bristol are very very competive if you look at applicant per place...why? Because they don't use the UKCAT.
Statistically it's easier to get an interview from Oxford than from Liverpool.

Competition isn't based on prestige, it's based on what the medical schools look for. Non UKCAT unis are v.popular.
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prestige in medicine counts for little-ask any doctors or med students on here.
Prestige doesn't count for much in medicine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter to students applying to those schools (whether or not is should is another issue entirely).
hopes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lolz. So much BS in this thread. Truthfully, I hate Plymouth as a city. But again I'm not a huge fan of the southwest anyway. Course wise, Plymouth is really really good. Initially it seems like jumping into the deep end of a disjointed way of learning. As you progress through, you appreciate it's teaching style.

St.George is in a grim part of London so for all the people hyping up the so called "London" prestige, pay a visit. League tables mean jack but as the final PCMD cohort I'd be lying if I said we didn't take great pride in coming 6th. For the person above saying nobody would believe us coming ahead of Imperial, do a little research. Independent surveys of foundation year doctors has consistently shown Peninsula students to be top 3 for their clinical competence and skillset. Surely we're doing something right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.7%
I'm not sure (11)
3.03%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (124)
34.16%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.65%
I'm not a current university student (165)
45.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed