The Student Room Group

First name causing confusion

My first name is not common (anywhere in the world) so it doesn’t show whether it’s a male or a female name. its not usually a problem, it doesn’t bother me personally however when I’m sending emails to professors or any uni office, or when applying for a job, people often assume I’m “Mr” or “him”
If it’s in an email to a prof/academic stuff – I don’t care
BUT when im applying for a job through e-mail, how can I tell the person, in a polite way, that im female? Or should I just ignore the issue :confused:

Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply 1
By putting 'Miss' before your name when you write it?
Reply 2
Just out of interest, if you dont mind me asking. What is your name?

Could you just write "Ms X Best" at the end of an e-mail?
Reply 3
Whats your name?
tony?
Reply 5
Cummon tell us your name.....they may name their babies after you!!!:biggrin:
Reply 6
The Best
My first name is not common (anywhere in the world) so it doesn’t show whether it’s a male or a female name. its not usually a problem, it doesn’t bother me personally however when I’m sending emails to professors or any uni office, or when applying for a job, people often assume I’m “Mr” or “him”
If it’s in an email to a prof/academic stuff I don’t care
BUT when im applying for a job through e-mail, how can I tell the person, in a polite way, that im female? Or should I just ignore the issue :confused:

Any ideas?
Thanks

come on whats the name!!
Reply 7
Yours sincerely,

Bob Smith (Miss)

That's the usual way to do it
Reply 8
wesetters
That looks very old-fashionned to me, I wouldn't like it at all.

Well if you want a correct way to do something, quite often you have to look to the past.

Basically because our culture today is degenerate, decedent and generally pish.
Reply 9
aaaaaaaaahh, ingenious, Juno! When I moved schools people thought they were getting a "he"..i couldnt figure out why, because my first name is "hana"..think it was my surname that confuddled them..
put Miss before it
failry obvious i thought
Reply 11
lol its not that interesting! my name is Mayar
Reply 12
Thats a very nice name....what does it mean?:smile:
BBGirl
Thats a very nice name....what does it mean?:smile:

Tell us in this special thread, dedicated to what our names mean. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending