The Student Room Group

This thread may offend people... But let's try not to turn it into a slanging match.

Okay, well every other day we have a new "How to attract women", "How to get a girlfriend" thread.

We do occasionally get these thread from women about men, but the fact is - men feel (rightly or wrongly) that it's much easier for women and that they hold all the cards.

When such threads pop, up you'll have guys who'll state things like:
"Don't compliment women, until such and such a time..."
"Don't do X,Y & Z on the first date."
"Don't say X, Y & Z until such and such a time"

Whereas the girls will immediately state that the above advice is nonsense, a guy should just 'be himself', and 'no formula works for all girls.'

My question is - Is this really the case?
Obviously nothing will ever work for every person on earth, but does doing certain things (even things girls claim they hate) increase your chances?

Do most women (and men, but like I said it's a problem men feel more) actually truly desire what they say they do, in your experience?

I ask this because I was hanging out with a friend of mine, who I hadn't seen since college, and he said he's had an epiphany since university, and that he no longer (or very very rarely) compliments women he's interesting in on their appearance, which has resulted in him becoming 'successful' with the ladies. He isn't rude to them or anything. Just simply doesn't compliment them on their appearance.

Obviously most women would claim they'd never like that. But his theory is that women hear it all the time, and by not complimenting them (even if they compliment him) they become more interested.

So do we (both men and women) actually know what we want?

Inb4 - 'The type of woman that doesn't like compliments isn't worth it, or whatever.'
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Being yourself doesnt work if you're a ****.
Original post by Double Agent
Being yourself doesnt work if you're a ****.

Can confirm :sexface:
Girls who say just be yourself are lying. Girls love bad boys because they're girls and lack maturity.

Women want men. Women know what they want because they're mature enough to know a decent guy who may not be as attractive is a better potential partner than an attractive guy who's an arse and treats them bad.

The same could be said of boys and men. That stage of maturity is vital. Its when you grow up and realise what really matters.
Reply 4
all that matters is looks.
Personally, I'd want you to be yourself. That way, I know from the beginning whether or not I'm really attracted to you. Wouldn't want to be in a relationship with the wrong idea of someone.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous Coward
Okay, well every other day we have a new "How to attract women", "How to get a girlfriend" thread.

We do occasionally get these thread from women about men, but the fact is - men feel (rightly or wrongly) that it's much easier for women and that they hold all the cards.

When such threads pop, up you'll have guys who'll state things like:
"Don't compliment women, until such and such a time..."
"Don't do X,Y & Z on the first date."
"Don't say X, Y & Z until such and such a time"

Whereas the girls will immediately state that the above advice is nonsense, a guy should just 'be himself', and 'no formula works for all girls.'

My question is - Is this really the case?
Obviously nothing will ever work for every person on earth, but does doing certain things (even things girls claim they hate) increase your chances?

Do most women (and men, but like I said it's a problem men feel more) actually truly desire what they say they do, in your experience?

I ask this because I was hanging out with a friend of mine, who I hadn't seen since college, and he said he's had an epiphany since university, and that he no longer (or very very rarely) compliments women he's interesting in on their appearance, which has resulted in him becoming 'successful' with the ladies. He isn't rude to them or anything. Just simply doesn't compliment them on their appearance.

Obviously most women would claim they'd never like that. But his theory is that women hear it all the time, and by not complimenting them (even if they compliment him) they become more interested.

So do we (both men and women) actually know what we want?

Inb4 - 'The type of woman that doesn't like compliments isn't worth it, or whatever.'

Your friend probably just acts a lot less needy now and is more confident that he can get girls! If a guy wants a girlfriend simply for the sake of having a girlfriend and proving to himself that he is good enough to get one, then girls will pick up on that and think *oh he doesn't actually know or like me, he just wants someone to fancy him to make him feel good so he is acting really nice to me*

I do think guys should just be themselves, but if themselves is just wanting to get a girlfriend, any girlfriend but preferably not ugly, then they can't expect girls to start liking them because it shows.
I hate compliments about how I look, well excessive ones, so yes.
Reply 8
Original post by Orthonym
Your friend probably just acts a lot less needy now and is more confident that he can get girls! If a guy wants a girlfriend simply for the sake of having a girlfriend and proving to himself that he is good enough to get one, then girls will pick up on that and think *oh he doesn't actually know or like me, he just wants someone to fancy him to make him feel good so he is acting really nice to me*

I do think guys should just be themselves, but if themselves is just wanting to get a girlfriend, any girlfriend but preferably not ugly, then they can't expect girls to start liking them because it shows.

I can guarantee that it will have been purely coincidental that op's friend started doing better with women when he was less desperate. Women do not pick up on desperation - it's a myth. He probably just came across women who found him physically attractive.

As soon as a woman sees a man, she immediately decides whether she finds him attractive, and it is all based on looks. If a woman finds you physically attractive, how you behave won't matter at all.
Reply 9
Original post by quads1992
I can guarantee that it will have been purely coincidental that op's friend started doing better with women when he was less desperate. Women do not pick up on desperation - it's a myth. He probably just came across women who found him physically attractive.

As soon as a woman sees a man, she immediately decides whether she finds him attractive, and it is all based on looks. If a woman finds you physically attractive, how you behave won't matter at all.

I disagree, but of course I can't speak for all women. If a guy acts either quite forward towards me or clingy, I get scared away regardless of their appearance. I would be worried or suspicious that they're trying to use me for sex. I appreciate attention from attractive guys, but it doesn't take much to make me feel uncomfortable that they just want to take from me. (no, I'm not a virgin)

You must be trying to wind me up, because if your statement were true then every attractive guy on the planet would have a girlfriend, and there are a lot of attractive guys! I've turned down/broken up with attractive guys!
Women want money.

/thread
Reply 11
Women say what they want for other people; not themselves. They think that other women should like someone to "just be themselves", but miss the point that it's the most redundant piece of advice ever.
Original post by brownbearxo
I hate compliments about how I look, well excessive ones, so yes.

Good thing you dont get alot
Original post by Clip
Women say what they want for other people; not themselves. They think that other women should like someone to "just be themselves", but miss the point that it's the most redundant piece of advice ever.

I think the whole point of being yourself is that you attract the right person for you. The person you NEED rather than the person you might want and not be right for you. If you pretend to be someone else, you might end up with them, but they would be connecting with the character you're presenting rather than the real you which isn't a good long term solution.

I can see your point though if you're just looking for a cheap and nasty shag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Clip

I want guys to be themselves, but that doesn't mean I will like them. I mean that I don't want them to try to make me think they're someone they're not, because a person can't pretend like that for ever. The only way you're going to find someone you're actually compatible with is if you act like yourself. Don't act like someone else just because it'll get you what you want in the short term.

I can understand that if someone is looking for casual sex, they might act differently because that's part of the excitement and it's casual so their emotions aren't at stake. But if you're looking for something serious then it's all about being comfortable with that person and accepting each other for who you are, so truly being yourself is the most effective way even if there are rejections along the way.
Original post by Pennyarcade
Good thing you dont get alot

Indeed :wink:
I'd really appreciate people being themselves instead of trying to be someone who you're not, or just for the purpose of attracting someone. :confused:
Reply 17
all that matters is looks.

Then why are so many ugly people in relationships?

Such overgeneralised statements make my brain pucker.
Reply 18
Original post by Orthonym
I disagree, but of course I can't speak for all women. If a guy acts either quite forward towards me or clingy, I get scared away regardless of their appearance. I would be worried or suspicious that they're trying to use me for sex. I appreciate attention from attractive guys, but it doesn't take much to make me feel uncomfortable that they just want to take from me. (no, I'm not a virgin)

You must be trying to wind me up, because if your statement were true then every attractive guy on the planet would have a girlfriend, and there are a lot of attractive guys! I've turned down/broken up with attractive guys!

Original post by Mequa
Then why are so many ugly people in relationships?

Such overgeneralised statements make my brain pucker.

I come on here to troll, but i always feel guilty afterwards because the responses are often so reasonable. lol!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
I come on here to troll, but i always feel guilty afterwards because the responses are often so reasonable. lol!

Haha! so you agree with us really then? Have you had experiences that made you feel like girls don't pick guys for the right reasons?

Latest

Trending

Trending