Watch
This discussion is closed.
Iunius Vestalia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey all here:

Currently, I am in the process of deciding which universities to attend to continue my graduate study.

Given the fact that I am a Canadian, I applied to many Canadian schools.
I got accepted to:

1. Western Ontario (Canada), Master of Financial Economics.
2. Imperial College London, Master of Investment and Wealth management.

I run into some significant troubles in deciding which universities to attend. But first, I would like how these two universities are perceived in Canada/U.S. in general? From what I know so far, it is next to impossible to stay in UK upon graduation.

Any input is deeply appreciated!
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Reputation-wise, overall, UToronto is the only university in Canada that comes anywhere close to ICL.

Obviously, it depends on the field, too, and I'm not familiar with yours.

I did my undergrad (engineering) at UBC, and will be doing MSc Advanced Computing at ICL. In the engineering field, at least, ICL is very well regarded.
Jannie10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm having the same trouble as you.
I have already received the offer from u of Toronto and Imperial to do chemical engineering.
But I'm at my wit ends to make a decision
Iunius Vestalia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks for all the help. I have made my decision. Besides, congratulation to both of you for receiving offer from ICL.
LordChemE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what did u decide? I am in similar situation!
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Quite obviously Imperial >>> whatever school that was you mentioned.
username1082104
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it was science, without a doubt it would be Imperial, but I'm not sure how good Imperial's Business School is.
WorriedApplicant
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, not sure if this thread is active... Looking for some advice.

I am an International student from India. Which postgraduate program (MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering at Imperial, MEng Chemical Engg at UoT) is better in terms of prestige, employer reputation and future prospects?
LordChemE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well ICL, UCL, U of T, McGill, UBC, and maybe Waterloo these days (escp for jobs and internship) are all similar level schools. As a guy who studied in the US and Canada, ICL and UCL are known quite well alongside Cambridge and Oxford (however these two schools are extremely famous). And to be brutally honest, all these schools are not very strict with their intake standards like Ivy schools in the US. In fact, I know ppl who went from my school to ICL and UCL for internships, later joined their as Ph.D. or Postdoc, purely because of research topics and group. So, I think it is just a matter of your choice. Unless you have a great scholarship, or specific research or place preference, all these schools are same level. Ranking wise, McGill and U of T top the chart every year, among these schools.If you don't speak French, U of T is better as McGill is in Quebec (though teaching might be in English, you need to know french for many activities outside the school). It all depends on your merit to earn a scholarship or ability to spend money from the pocket. If money not a deal than place is the deal. Toronto is not a cheap place..ooooooooof so as London. Good luck
Oblivid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by WorriedApplicant)
Hi, not sure if this thread is active... Looking for some advice.

I am an International student from India. Which postgraduate program (MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering at Imperial, MEng Chemical Engg at UoT) is better in terms of prestige, employer reputation and future prospects?
Hi, I am an international student myself and I think there is no contest here. Even though both universities are well regarded in their research quality, Imperial College London is one of the best institutions for engineering (the best one in the UK), and they are particularly good at chemical engineering. Their reputation and research level in chemical engineering are outstanding as corroborated by their 16th position worldwide in the NTU Ranking, their 22nd place in the ARWU (Shanghai) ranking, and their 10th place in the QS subjects ranking. The University of Toronto reaches 128th, 101-150th, and 27th respectively.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads