The Student Room Group

Job Seekers problem

I am currently on job seekers looking for full time work before university in September, I have stated I'm looking for full time work yet they have told me to attend an apprenticeship interview. If I tell them I do not want to attend the interview due to personal circumstances and the need of a full time job does anyone know if they will see this as a valid reason or not?

Any nh opinions will be welcomed
Reply 1
You may sanctioned for failing to attend the interview.
Reply 2
I was in a similar position as you. I was unemployed but wanted to attend university this september. I never had to attend to apprenticeship interview though. What I would do is contact the national careers service for advice, they were REALLY helpful and you can get advice without involving the job centre. They can also help with university applications.

I would speak to the Job centre in person and tell them about your plans, if they say that you still need to attend the interview, tell the interviewer about your plans, that might/should stop them form picking you :wink:. If the job centre tell you not to attend then get this writing so you have evidence, (just in case they sanction you).

When it comes to looking for a job, i would look for temp and permanent roles. When it comes to the interview for the permanent role, don't mention your plans about university, i know its sneaky but you won't get the job if you tell them about your plans to leave in September. Temp roles are easier in that they don't last long, but I found that they want someone with a lot of experience but call centre jobs etc may not. Finding a job ATM is tough so I think its best to keep all options open. Good Luck !
Reply 3
Cheers for the help, I have a meeting in the morning so hopefully they won't make me go to the interview as I believe it will be sadly a waste of mine and the companies time. Although interview experience can never hurt
Reply 4
Honestly I wouldn't even mention uni, play dumb go to the interview and ensure you dont get the job. Job centre are good at finding reasons to sanction people, they will probs try to hold you off till September when they will be shot of you..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go to the interview and make sure you don't get it, like the previous poster said I wouldn't tell the job center about your uni plans. The job center would only use it against you
Just go along and say all the wrong things. JSA has no idea about getting young people working, you are just a statistic to them, do what they ask to keep them off your back and focus on getting yourself something that suits you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending