B.Carmine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
HI, i want to get a Minimum A in triple Biology, i have set aside a good amount of time but i have no idea how to revise for it...

i don't see similarities within past papers like the chemistry papers, so i am stuck as to how to effectively revise, i have core, additional and triple revision guides..

thanks in advance..
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well don't do what I done: leave revision until a week before the exam, although I didn't really do much revision at all I still walked away with a B 3 marks of an A.

The best way to revise for biology, is to read your notes and do exam questions based on the topic you just revised. Then move on to past papers to work on exam techniques and get used to the type of questions they throw you.

Also it would be useful to make a list of key words for every topic and remember them, if you do that then you really wouldn't struggle on how to answer those questions.
B.Carmine
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Well don't do what I done: leave revision until a week before the exam, although I didn't really do much revision at all I still walked away with a B 3 marks of an A.

The best way to revise for biology, is to read your notes and do exam questions based on the topic you just revised. Then move on to past papers to work on exam techniques and get used to the type of questions they throw you.

Also it would be useful to make a list of key words for every topic and remember them, if you do that then you really wouldn't struggle on how to answer those questions.
Sorry! thanks for your reply!

yeah, i've gotten B/C with no revision, miraculously! Some questions though i find misleading.. like it was a question about diet and it showed a graph of people trying to lose weight and the question was "what should they eat?" To which the answer was "a balanced diet"...

would you recommend any resources that offer exam questions? i can look on the AQA websites for past papers..
ThePhoenixLament
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just went through my revision guide a lot, did some BBC Bitesize exercises, made flashcards on key words and their definitions and did SAM Learning activities.
B.Carmine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
I just went through my revision guide a lot, did some BBC Bitesize exercises, made flashcards on key words and their definitions and did SAM Learning activities.
What grade did you get? And were you on AQA?
ThePhoenixLament
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by B.Carmine)
What grade did you get? And were you on AQA?
I was on AQA, and I got an A* in Physics, A in Chemistry and A in Biology. I dropped the overall marks thanks to my ISAs.
joeymr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Flashcards! Put a question on the front and the answer on the back- ideal for revising on the bus, in bed, on the way to an exam I got an A* in GCSE biology doing this (obviously along with practicing exam questions). Good luck!
Lisah:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing Triple Biology and had the same issue as you, I ended up scowering every inch of the internet for any resources I could use and I found a bunch of booklets, fill-in exercises etc that could be printed. I can send to you if you want them or think it would help?
Attached files
B.Carmine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lisah:))
I'm doing Triple Biology and had the same issue as you, I ended up scowering every inch of the internet for any resources I could use and I found a bunch of booklets, fill-in exercises etc that could be printed. I can send to you if you want them or think it would help?
Yes please!
B.Carmine
Rep:
?
(Original post by joeymr)
Flashcards! Put a question on the front and the answer on the back- ideal for revising on the bus, in bed, on the way to an exam I got an A* in GCSE biology doing this (obviously along with practicing exam questions). Good luck!
what kinds of questions, like keywords or what? I'm a little unsure of how they would work in terms of effective revision (obviously it wouldn't be the only revision but you know what i mean)..
joeymr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what kinds of questions, like keywords or what? I'm a little unsure of how they would work in terms of effective revision (obviously it wouldn't be the only revision but you know what i mean)..
Questions which test your knowledge of the syllabus. For example I'm doing A2 biology at the moment so I might make some flashcards around photosynthesis. One flash card might say 'what happens during the light-dependent stage of photosynthesis?' and on the back I will have written the answer using key words that are used in the specification

Through doing this, you not only consolidate the key knowledge of the GCSE, but also learn to use the correct key terms that AQA are looking for when you're answering the exam questions
B.Carmine
Rep:
?
Questions which test your knowledge of the syllabus. For example I'm doing A2 biology at the moment so I might make some flashcards around photosynthesis. One flash card might say 'what happens during the light-dependent stage of photosynthesis?' and on the back I will have written the answer using key words that are used in the specification

Through doing this, you not only consolidate the key knowledge of the GCSE, but also learn to use the correct key terms that AQA are looking for when you're answering the exam questions
Ok, i see. thank you!!
joeymr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, i see. thank you!!
No worries, good luck for your exams!
B.Carmine
Rep:
?
No worries, good luck for your exams!
You too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?