The Student Room Group

AQA SCLY3 Mass Media June 2014

Thought I'd just start this thread for those (supposedly few) of us who are doing Mass Media for Unit 3... :smile:

I was actually hoping to ask for some help if anyone can possibly offer it? I'm doing great in Sociology (should get an A, targeted at A*) but I've been looking for some model answers to any possible essay question that could come up in Units 3 and 4 (my teacher always rabbits on about me writing too much in my essays for homework so I'm trying to figure out how to decrease my work count while retaining all the essential information). I've found this awesome workbook with answers for Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods essays (I'll stick it on here if anyone wants it) but the guys who put that online did Beliefs in Society for the Unit 3 model answers (I'm guessing that's the one everyone does...) I was wondering if anyone had some exemplar model answers for 18 and 33 mark Mass Media questions that are do-able under exam conditions (in 30 minutes and 50 minutes respectively) so I can have something good to plan and revise with? Will be very grateful if anyone can help. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Hi! I have a past paper I did that got 15/18 and 25/33, if that's high enough? :smile:
Original post by Mzeykinns
Thought I'd just start this thread for those (supposedly few) of us who are doing Mass Media for Unit 3... :smile:

I was actually hoping to ask for some help if anyone can possibly offer it? I'm doing great in Sociology (should get an A, targeted at A*) but I've been looking for some model answers to any possible essay question that could come up in Units 3 and 4 (my teacher always rabbits on about me writing too much in my essays for homework so I'm trying to figure out how to decrease my work count while retaining all the essential information). I've found this awesome workbook with answers for Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods essays (I'll stick it on here if anyone wants it) but the guys who put that online did Beliefs in Society for the Unit 3 model answers (I'm guessing that's the one everyone does...) I was wondering if anyone had some exemplar model answers for 18 and 33 mark Mass Media questions that are do-able under exam conditions (in 30 minutes and 50 minutes respectively) so I can have something good to plan and revise with? Will be very grateful if anyone can help. Thanks :smile:

Hey guys, I'm doing Mass Media AQA too. Do you have any tips on revising for this. Because the workload is ridiculous and it's nearly impossible to remember all of them. And what is the work book you were talking about?

And does anyone have some predictions on what might come up?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by thunguyen168
Hey guys, I'm doing Mass Media AQA too. Do you have any tips on revising for this. Because the workload is ridiculous and it's nearly impossible to remember all of them. And what is the work book you were talking about?

Thanks

Well I don't really like to make assumptions. Is there anything you need help with specifically? I posted a list of key studies for this on a thread called "A2 SCLY4 Crime and Deviance Sociology Exam June 2014" if you wanted to look at that
Reply 5
Original post by thunguyen168

Thanks

My teacher seems to think that two of Gender/Sexuality, News, Ethnicity and Disability are likely to come up, although that's purely off the top of my head from the list he gave us (still looking for it...) and according to what's come up previously...I guess with Mass Media because the essay question is optional, you could perhaps not know one topic as long as you know the rest...still, better revise everything! xD You never know when they could throw in last year's ones again...um, what were last year's questions again? :smile:

Oh, and Google "Sociology AQA Unit 4 Hodder Education Workbook", or something like that. You should be able to download it as a word document somewhere :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scjman
Well I don't really like to make assumptions. Is there anything you need help with specifically? I posted a list of key studies for this on a thread called "A2 SCLY4 Crime and Deviance Sociology Exam June 2014" if you wanted to look at that

I've been watching that thread too. I personally don't have any problems with c&d. Just mass media. Especially with the 33 mark question, sometimes there are too many things to talk about, sometimes you don't even know what to write.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi! What revision guide are you using for Mass Media? My teacher photocopied us a few sheets and that's all we got, but I've been comparing that stuff to things on getrevising.com and i'm reading about things i've never been taught before!
Reply 8
Original post by chellls
Hi! What revision guide are you using for Mass Media? My teacher photocopied us a few sheets and that's all we got, but I've been comparing that stuff to things on getrevising.com and i'm reading about things i've never been taught before!

I'm currently using the AQA Sociology A2 book by Stephen Moore, and my teacher uses a lot of the stuff in there before adding his own stuff so as to help us evaluate (because, unless it's on topics involving lots of perspectives, their isn't much active evaluation in Moore). It gives you loads of detail and good stuff you can pick from to construct essays :smile:
Reply 9
my predictions are essay on media representations on gender/ethnicity and 33 marker, pluralist view on ownership and control/ globalisation.
Reply 10
I'm currently using the AQA Sociology A2 book by Stephen Moore, and my teacher uses a lot of the stuff in there before adding his own stuff so as to help us evaluate (because, unless it's on topics involving lots of perspectives, their isn't much active evaluation in Moore). It gives you loads of detail and good stuff you can pick from to construct essays :smile:

oh okay thank you! i'm feeling so hopeless for this exam! and the crime & deviance one too :confused:
Reply 11
Found it!

Based on what has come up recently (past questions from last few years are listed here too if anyone wants practice at them), attached is what my teacher reckons could come up for the 33 marker for Mass Media this year (you'll need to scroll down to the bottom for the predicted topics bit). Enjoy! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by chellls
oh okay thank you! i'm feeling so hopeless for this exam! and the crime & deviance one too :confused:

Need any help with anything specifically?
Heya,thank you i have found the document very useful.How is everybody's timing for the exam?
Does anyone have any tips for 33 mark question?
Does anyone have any tips for 33 mark questions?
Reply 16
Original post by SassQueen13
Does anyone have any tips for 33 mark question?

You've got about 50 minutes or so to do it; plan for the first 5 minutes-it helps if you start fretting later on. When planning, bring in any possible perspectives you can relate to the specific topic (e.g. for Ownership: Marxism, Pluralism, Glasgow Uni Media Group...) When writing, introduce it in a manner that unpacks the question and briefly outlines the perspectives in your answer; demonstrate explicitly that you are answering exactly the question set for you. When discussing perspectives, case studies and examples are crucial for good marks as they demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the topic. Try to make good, relevant evaluative points at the end of each paragraph and this can help rack up the evaluative marks. Keep each paragraph brief and precise so that you have more time to write about different perspectives. When concluding, refer explicitly back to the question and summarize perspectives discussed...have fun! :biggrin:
You've got about 50 minutes or so to do it; plan for the first 5 minutes-it helps if you start fretting later on. When planning, bring in any possible perspectives you can relate to the specific topic (e.g. for Ownership: Marxism, Pluralism, Glasgow Uni Media Group...) When writing, introduce it in a manner that unpacks the question and briefly outlines the perspectives in your answer; demonstrate explicitly that you are answering exactly the question set for you. When discussing perspectives, case studies and examples are crucial for good marks as they demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the topic. Try to make good, relevant evaluative points at the end of each paragraph and this can help rack up the evaluative marks. Keep each paragraph brief and precise so that you have more time to write about different perspectives. When concluding, refer explicitly back to the question and summarize perspectives discussed...have fun! :biggrin:

Thank you! This is really helpful...no matter how hard I try I can never get high marks in 33 markers, I'm always capped for some reason:frown:
Reply 18
Original post by SassQueen13
Thank you! This is really helpful...no matter how hard I try I can never get high marks in 33 markers, I'm always capped for some reason:frown:

Same :frown: Although I did a Mass Media 33 mark mock in January and managed to get 28, which was quite good I felt :smile: And for the Unit 4 theory essays I've had 2 occasions where I managed (magically) to get 32, but not under exam conditions-I did these for homework using material and ended up with 7-8 pages for each! Not good! xD
Same :frown: Although I did a Mass Media 33 mark mock in January and managed to get 28, which was quite good I felt :smile: And for the Unit 4 theory essays I've had 2 occasions where I managed (magically) to get 32, but not under exam conditions-I did these for homework using material and ended up with 7-8 pages for each! Not good! xD

I somehow always end up getting no more than 23! :frown: Wow that's really good! What question was it for? :3 And haha how on earth did you manage 7-8 pages?! I never know what to write and end up babbling like an idiot

Quick Reply

Latest