The Student Room Group

AQA SCLY3 Mass Media June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by HopeSavannah
Hi everyone,

My teacher told us that predictions for the media paper would be...
Representations, possibly gender and sexuality, ethnicity, age, class, disability and possibly the news and she said they haven't come up in a while.

Anyone agree/think differently? :smile:

I agree. plus i think representations are fairly straightforward compared to the other topics. news came up as the 18 marker in the june 2013 paper ' asses sociological views of the selection and presentation of the news'. it could appear as a 33 marker but i think globalisation/moral panics or mass media and audience topic may appear as a 33 marker - but who knows!:redface:
Original post by Jawja99
I agree. plus i think representations are fairly straightforward compared to the other topics. news came up as the 18 marker in the june 2013 paper ' asses sociological views of the selection and presentation of the news'. it could appear as a 33 marker but i think globalisation/moral panics or mass media and audience topic may appear as a 33 marker - but who knows!:redface:

I totally agree! I think globalisation will come up as a 33 marker. I think if the news will come up it will be a 9 marker and it will ask us for news values which would be great! exactly, who knows but i just hope its a fair exam and the wording of the questions aren't stupid because that's what will throw a lot of people off including myself so fingers crossed:rolleyes:
That was so helpful thank you :smile:
I don't think news will come up tbh!
Reply 184
I totally agree! I think globalisation will come up as a 33 marker. I think if the news will come up it will be a 9 marker and it will ask us for news values which would be great! exactly, who knows but i just hope its a fair exam and the wording of the questions aren't stupid because that's what will throw a lot of people off including myself so fingers crossed:rolleyes:

Ahh news values as a 9 marker would be beautiful! Aqa I find are usually pretty fair and simple in their questions - let's hope for the best!

what would you include in globalisation? i really hate that topic! :frown:
Reply 186
Original post by chellls
Is it bad I have never heard of any of the theorists you mentioned? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any of the theorists in your textbook? If not look up mass media and postmodernism scly3 and something should come up on the internet about them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucyxxx
what would you include in globalisation? i really hate that topic! :frown:

Hey!!

I would include the following...

i would start the essay by defining globalisation

talk about how the world is shrinking (skype, facebook, youtube)

talk about neophiliacs and cultural pessimism (Neo's think because media is growing, consumers have more choice whereas CP think we are actually being restricted because there will be even more media to manipulate us)

talk about convergence (companies coming together to make one product)

marxism- believes globalisation restricts choice

Pluralists- argue with marxists saying no because consumers actually have what it called the fallacy of choice)

Talk about westernisation has created disneyfication and McDonaldation and because of this cultures are being lost :frown:

and could add in postmodernism and talk about Strinati and how he says the media is is shaping consumer choices and we live in a media saturated society, then say that we live in a 'hyperreality' making people think that what they see on the TV (TOWIE, big brother...) is the norm

That's all i have, i hope that's helpful to you?! Here to help!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jawja99
Ahh news values as a 9 marker would be beautiful! Aqa I find are usually pretty fair and simple in their questions - let's hope for the best!

haha literally!! I would cry with happiness if news values came up as a 9 marker!! in my opinion 9 markers are vital and in order to get a good grade you need to be spot on with the 9 marker, so if news came up i will be celebrating in my little chair in the exam hall haha:biggrin:
Hey!!

I would include the following...

i would start the essay by defining globalisation

talk about how the world is shrinking (skype, facebook, youtube)

talk about neophiliacs and cultural pessimism (Neo's think because media is growing, consumers have more choice whereas CP think we are actually being restricted because there will be even more media to manipulate us)

talk about convergence (companies coming together to make one product)

marxism- believes globalisation restricts choice

Pluralists- argue with marxists saying no because consumers actually have what it called the fallacy of choice)

Talk about westernisation has created disneyfication and McDonaldation and because of this cultures are being lost :frown:

and could add in postmodernism and talk about Strinati and how he says the media is is shaping consumer choices and we live in a media saturated society, then say that we live in a 'hyperreality' making people think that what they see on the TV (TOWIE, big brother...) is the norm

That's all i have, i hope that's helpful to you?! Here to help!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

thankyou!!! you've helped alot! i thought this would come up in the exam but i'm praying it doesn't!
Original post by lucyxxx
thankyou!!! you've helped alot! i thought this would come up in the exam but i'm praying it doesn't!

pffft you and me both! to be honest i don't know what i want to come up:s-smilie: i think that whatever is to come up for both the 18 and 33 marker i think both will have its positives and negatives if you get me!

I just want good karma!! I want Karma to reward with me lovely questions haha, im not asking for much, all i need is a D overall to get into uni.... a D haha!! Im not that confident so i am praying i will be lucky because a D is all i actually need! (Im doing a dance degree so all i really need is an A* in dance which i've got!) so i just want a little D !:thumbsup:
pffft you and me both! to be honest i don't know what i want to come up:s-smilie: i think that whatever is to come up for both the 18 and 33 marker i think both will have its positives and negatives if you get me!

I just want good karma!! I want Karma to reward with me lovely questions haha, im not asking for much, all i need is a D overall to get into uni.... a D haha!! Im not that confident so i am praying i will be lucky because a D is all i actually need! (Im doing a dance degree so all i really need is an A* in dance which i've got!) so i just want a little D !:thumbsup:

I want gender, ethnicity or ownership and control! But I know owner ship and control is very unlikely :frown: I realllly don't want new media, globalisation or postmodernist because I find them really hard to get my head around!:frown: But I suppose with the 33 marker you can choose which question! I need a B, so I need two high Cs in this and crime. Hopefully all goes well :tongue:
Original post by lucyxxx
I want gender, ethnicity or ownership and control! But I know owner ship and control is very unlikely :frown: I realllly don't want new media, globalisation or postmodernist because I find them really hard to get my head around!:frown: But I suppose with the 33 marker you can choose which question! I need a B, so I need two high Cs in this and crime. Hopefully all goes well :tongue:

yeah ownership and control would be rather good to be fair! Jeeeesh don't remind me about crime and deviance, that is stressing me out! It's sooo complicated and there is so much to remember! I'm hoping suicide will come up in crime and deviance as a 21 marker because i did a past question and got full marks but the chances of that coming up is unlikely!:frown:
Yes, fingers crossed, good luck to you!!:banana:
Reply 193
haha literally!! I would cry with happiness if news values came up as a 9 marker!! in my opinion 9 markers are vital and in order to get a good grade you need to be spot on with the 9 marker, so if news came up i will be celebrating in my little chair in the exam hall haha:biggrin:

Most deff! Tbh I struggle and worry more about the 9 markers because they're usually specific and it's easier to gain marks in the 18, 33 markers (obviously)...hopefully it's a simple 9 marker:redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
yeah ownership and control would be rather good to be fair! Jeeeesh don't remind me about crime and deviance, that is stressing me out! It's sooo complicated and there is so much to remember! I'm hoping suicide will come up in crime and deviance as a 21 marker because i did a past question and got full marks but the chances of that coming up is unlikely!:frown:
Yes, fingers crossed, good luck to you!!:banana:

good luck to you to!!! crime and deviance is such an awful exam.. so much to know in terms of theory ah! and could you help me with how i'd structure an essay based on postmodernism and media?? x
Reply 195
i hope there isn't a 33 marker on moral panics! what on earth could you include for 33 marks? I cant think of a lot! I can understand if they gave us a 9 marker on examples of moral panics but 33 would be so harsh! :frown:
Reply 196
hoping representations of social class doesn't come up! I hate it so much and I don't really understand it/have enough information on it
Reply 197
Original post by rosa94
i hope there isn't a 33 marker on moral panics! what on earth could you include for 33 marks? I cant think of a lot! I can understand if they gave us a 9 marker on examples of moral panics but 33 would be so harsh! :frown:

Are moral panics part of mass media?!?! Uh oh I have done nothing for them if they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by Nash96
Are moral panics part of mass media?!?! Uh oh I have done nothing for them if they are

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah its barely anything its about a page in the book at the end of the new media/globalisation topic in my book! I just hope aqa wont be harsh and ask a big question on it. don't worry! I know barely anything on it either! just a few examples of moral panics
Reply 199
Original post by rosa94
yeah its barely anything its about a page in the book at the end of the new media/globalisation topic in my book! I just hope aqa wont be harsh and ask a big question on it. don't worry! I know barely anything on it either! just a few examples of moral panics

Hey guys i have some notes on theories of moral panics I'm not sure how accurate the info is in regards to theories but the 'models' proposed by goode and ben yehuda are accurate i'm sure. These might be of use to you if you're worried about a 18 or 33 marker on moral panics!:redface:

Moral panics are referred to as an exaggerated over-reaction by society to a perceived problem, often inspired by the media. Goode and Ben-Yehuda suggest that moral panics produce ‘folk devils’; stereotypes of groups who are perceived as deviant and their behaviours are evil and threaten the social order in society.
There are several stages to a moral panic. The media exaggerate and distort a particular event or behaviours of a social group. Moral entrepreneurs put pressure on the media to make statements condemning the deviant group/activity. The public are more conscious of the group/event and panic by reporting acts to the police that are usually unrelated, however are perceived as harmful as a result of the media’s distortion. The ‘folk devils’ may then react to the moral panic by becoming more deviant in the process. Thereafter, more arrests/convictions are made and are then reported by the media. An example of a moral panic is shown by Cohen’s research of the media’s reaction to the disturbances between two groups of largely w/c teenagers the ‘Mods and Rockers’ in the 1960’s.
Cohen suggests that the media’s portrayal of minor confrontations between the two groups produced a deviance amplification spiral. This resulted in the creation of a moral panic. The media produced a stigmatisation for the two groups as ‘deviants’. Cohen suggests that the media further amplified the deviance by defining the two groups and their subcultural styles and identifying two distinct identities. This encouraged polarisation and helped to create a self-fulfilling prophecy for an escalation of conflict, as more youths ‘joined in’ on the groups and acted out the roles the media had assigned to them.
Neo-Marxists suggest that moral panics are a product of news values and the desire for media owners to make maximum profit. Spencer-Thomas’ ideas regarding the media using the concept of news values can be applied when assessing the media’s role in the creation of moral panics. Journalists and editors use the concept of news values in order to determine if a story/event is ‘newsworthy’. Gultang and Ruge’s examples such as; ‘extraordinariness’ and ‘negativity’, are illustrated in moral panics inspired by the media such as the horse meat scandal in 2013, the threat of young thugs dressed in ‘hoodies’ in 2008 (Fawbert), and many more stories that are considered to hold news values.
Thus, the media take stories like this, alert their audience by exaggerating the problem; which consequently results in more profit for owners and a moral panic is formed.

Neo-Marxist ideas regarding moral panics are based on Marxist notions that, the ruling class use ISA and RSA to uphold capitalist ideology. In this case, the ruling class used RSA’s such as the mass media to serve capitalist society. Neo-Marxists suggest that the media’s role in creating moral panics serve an ideological purpose. Neo-Marxist, Stuart Hall’s research into the coverage of black muggers illustrates the media’s role in creating moral panics, together with producing labels of particular groups or, ‘folk devils’. Hall’s study concluded that this moral panic inspired by the media, had the effect of labelling all young African-Caribbeans as deviants. It severed the triple ideological purpose of turning white w/c against black w/c i.e. divide and rule; diverting public’s attention away from capitalism’s mismanagement; and as a means of justifying repressive laws and policing proposed to be used against said ‘problem groups’. Consequently, Neo-Marxists suggest that we are encouraged to view certain social groups as a threat, as the capitalist class use their power and influence via media coverage by creating moral panics in order to conceal the real dysfunction and problems in society; the capitalist system.

Goode and Ben-Yehuda propose three models that explain the extent to which the media plays a role in the creation of moral panics. The grassroots model rejects the idea that the media generate the panic, because they cannot create a concern where none has existed before. Thus, this model suggests that the panic starts when the public become anxious about a specific issue. This concern is merely expressed by the media and politicians, not generated by them. The elite-engineered model suggests the opposite. This model somewhat represents Marxist ideas concerning the media. The model proposes the idea that ‘elites’ (those in power) deliberately undertake a campaign to create fear and panic in order to divert attention away from the 'real problems’ in society. Hall’s research of the media reaction to ‘mugging by black youths’ illustrates how, although the situation is perceived as an example of hegemony at work, it is in fact a conspiracy of the ruling class elites to conquer the public. The moral panic of mugging was engineered by the elites, as a means of concealing the real problem; the crisis of capitalism. Lastly, the interest-group theory opposes the elite-engineered model. Interest-group theory challenges the idea that elites and controllers of the media are at all involved in the creation of moral panics. This approach suggests that the production of moral panics comes from middle-level groups; professional associations, media professionals etc. It suggests that these are the people who benefit from moral panics, not the media and it’s owners. Therefore, the media, to an extent, play a role in the existence of moral panics, but more so, their role is not to create, but to maintain the moral panic for the benefit of middle-level groups.
It could be argued, that the media do not create moral panics, but rather their role is to be an advocate for the existing concerns of their audience. However, it seems that the media benefit largely by further expressing the harmful consequences of particular moral panics. Therefore, it is clear that the media’s ultimate role is to produce moral panics in order to continue to sell.

I know this is long but hopefully someone can take something from this :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending