The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

places to avoid plymouth

Hi all, I'm probably going to be starting plmouth uni in october and i was wondering if anyone on this site could give me some general advice about areas to stay and also go out. Many people keep telling me to avoid Union st, in the city centre and also Crownhill, as it is full of marines lol. Would just like some general advice. Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
A bit late reply, I'll be a 2nd year in september hope you'll enjoy my advice.

Union street is only good on wednesdays as most of the societies have their socials.
So most of the students stay on North Hill near the uni on week-ends, mostly in two "clubs" Cuba and Bang Bang. In cuba you'll see girls going topless for a bottle of bubbly, Bang bang will always be emptier than Cuba.
But on fridays and saturdays they will be full as they're converted houses. You'll always end up your night there.

Oceana's good, you'll have to take a taxi or wait for the party bus, they'll ask for but show your student card and it'll only be 3£. But only for the weekends, go there for freshers during the week but once freshers' over it'll be mostly empty during the week.

I can give you more advice but it'll take me a long time, if you have any more questions don't hesitate!
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
It seems that Shelsy has already covered most of the points. :smile:

'Cubang' is fine :biggrin:, but gets very crowded on weekends, and I've seen large queues even at half three in the morning. It's one reason why I preferred going to the SU (which has decent student nights on Saturdays, and slightly more room) or going to Oceana (which is usually busy on Mondays and Thursdays, but at least there is a fair bit of room to pull a few dance moves :wink:) Personally, if the disco room was closed though, even Oceana is a bit 'meh' really (I don't like the Ice room).

I often went into Walkabout on wednesdays for the sports clubs, and I really wanted to give it a go. But try as I might, I found it really bad, as the queue for the bar goes into the dancefloor, and there will be people basically in the queue, just talking around with their drinks. That and people seem to smash a lot of glasses and it gets quite congested (on par with cuba congestion). And that's before you get to the aw-ful bathrooms. :eek:

I can't say that there is too many 'must avoid' areas in Plymouth. You just need to have a bit of common sense about you. Even on Wednesdays, I would go no further than the traffic lights near the Toys 'R Us on Union Street.
Reply 3
Original post by jammy4041
It seems that Shelsy has already covered most of the points. :smile:

'Cubang' is fine :biggrin:, but gets very crowded on weekends, and I've seen large queues even at half three in the morning. It's one reason why I preferred going to the SU (which has decent student nights on Saturdays, and slightly more room) or going to Oceana (which is usually busy on Mondays and Thursdays, but at least there is a fair bit of room to pull a few dance moves :wink:) Personally, if the disco room was closed though, even Oceana is a bit 'meh' really (I don't like the Ice room).

I often went into Walkabout on wednesdays for the sports clubs, and I really wanted to give it a go. But try as I might, I found it really bad, as the queue for the bar goes into the dancefloor, and there will be people basically in the queue, just talking around with their drinks. That and people seem to smash a lot of glasses and it gets quite congested (on par with cuba congestion). And that's before you get to the aw-ful bathrooms. :eek:

I can't say that there is too many 'must avoid' areas in Plymouth. You just need to have a bit of common sense about you. Even on Wednesdays, I would go no further than the traffic lights near the Toys 'R Us on Union Street.

That's right me and Cubang such a beautiful lovestory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Union Street is not as bad as what it's made out to be. Walkabout is good on a Wednesday (student night) as most societies go there.
Cubang is alright for after a night out (open till 6am on Friday and Saturday).
North Hill is basically the place to be, you have Odd Bar, Bac Bar, Roundabout etc.

Oceana is the best place IMO. the party bus is free on Oceana Student Nights (Monday, Friday and Saturday I think), and it picks you up on North Hill (on Wednesdays it goes to Walkabout)
I left a couple of years ago now, but from what I remember going far down Union Street is probably not a good idea. But overall the central area of Plymouth is fine. It's a safe city tbh.
If you like 50's/rockabilly style music then Tiki Bar on a Friday is great.
Devonport, Crownhill, Swilly, Union Street, (past the traffic lights away from city centre).

Everything you need is in the city centre, so it's not like you ever need to go to the rough areas anyway
Reply 8
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Devonport, Crownhill, Swilly, Union Street, (past the traffic lights away from city centre).

Everything you need is in the city centre, so it's not like you ever need to go to the rough areas anyway

Whats so bad about Union Street? I hear so many people telling others not to go there.
Original post by Blobar
Whats so bad about Union Street? I hear so many people telling others not to go there.

Union Street is home to a lot of pubs, clubs, "adult houses and entertainments". Factor in alcohol, and the fact that it's not very well lit, and it will be a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking down Union Street, beyond Toys R' Us, after 1000pm most days.
Union street is split into two, the way I see it. Beyond the Pavilions and Toys R Us is where the hardened drunkards like to be along with a strip club etc.

On the other end of the road we have revolutions, walkabout, union rooms (which I think is a whethespoons) and more which is where the younger lot like to hang out and it's less scary.

North hill, which is the student hub of nights out, is pretty much directly opposite the university. This includes clubs like Bang Bang and cuba which are always packed.

The Barbican is also another place which seems alright. It's fairly quiet on weekdays though.

I live in Crownhill and there is only one pub on the little street of shops, which is essentially a dive from what I hear. But Crown hill is quite far away from the uni so you will probably never see it unless you live there yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending