username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Glucose in the small intestine is taken up from the lumen by an S-GLUT cotransporter.
On the basal surface glucose passes into the blood stream by facilitated difussion.
So far is this correct?

If so does this mean that HYPOTHETICALLY if someone did not eat anything but injected themselves with sugar (e.g: they are being fed through injection) that glucose could be taken UP by these intestine epithelial cells from the blood stream?
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.

If you are injecting into the blood stream….then I am not sure why you would think it would be taken up by the intestinal epithelial cells.

Intestinal epithelial cells absorb whatever they need from the intestine not the blood.
username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
No.

If you are injecting into the blood stream….then I am not sure why you would think it would be taken up by the intestinal epithelial cells.

Intestinal epithelial cells absorb whatever they need from the intestine not the blood.
I mean that if someone wasn't eating (AT ALL) and they were being fed via their blood stream (parenteral nutrition) could the transporters bring sugar FROM the blood stream TO the intestinal cells?
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
I mean that if someone wasn't eating (AT ALL) and they were being fed via their blood stream (parenteral nutrition) could the transporters bring sugar FROM the blood stream TO the intestinal cells?
No. The body would just use the glucose straight from the blood,

It wouldn't bother taking it back to the intestine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (723)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (919)
42.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (406)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.34%

Watched Threads