Edinburgh, St Andrews or Aberdeen?

Watch this thread
coultra1
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi everyone!

I applied for medicine this year and have been lucky enough to get offers from Edinburgh, St Andrews and Aberdeen. I'm having a very difficult time choosing, however, as there are so many different things about each university which appeal to me.

I live fairly close to St Andrews (around 20 minutes ) and I'm not sure how much this would affect my university experience. I'd definitely want to move away from home but I don't know if it would be worth it in the case of St Andrews.

St Andrews and Aberdeen are both conditional offers but I think the conditions should be achievable provided I work hard!

Any advice or opinions on any of the universities would be greatly appreciated!
georgiehewitt03
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I've heard the medicine department at Edinburgh is amazing! Think about whether you want to be in a city or not- your life away from your academic studies would be hugely affected by the differences between places like Edinburgh and Aberdeen and then St Andrews
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I would say Edinburgh is the best medical school out of those options.
Haybo96
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
All of these are great uni's and I don't think you would have made a mistake picking any over the others.

Maybe think about what course you would prefer: more traditional with PBL (Edinburgh) or systems based (Aberdeen), not sure about St Andrews.

Do you want early patient contact and clinical skills or pre clinical and clinical divide?

Would you be ok with studying first at St. Andrews and then moving to another Uni for clinical training?

Which setting do you prefer? A large city a sort of medium city or a more small town/ city?

I would start with thinking about these questions and try to decide what the best course would be for you. You can also think about how important all these aspects are, so maybe you don't care as much about the course and the setting of the Uni is more important for example.

That was kind of my thought process when I was trying to decide.

Congratulations on your offers anyway and good luck for the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
I would say Edinburgh is the best medical school out of those options.
Suppose that's entirely dependent on how you're judging "best". Mind elaborating for the OP?

(Original post by Haybo96)
x
This is a great post, mate, but just thought I'd add that Edinburgh has a systems-based curriculum, too! Traditional isn't synonymous with subject-based teaching.

Also want to add that a lot of "integrated" courses have a quite clear pre-clinical/clinical divide. You'll just get some form of early contact shoved in with the pre-clinical stuff. This can vary from a complete gimmick (seeing one pt. per semester), to some useful clinical teaching (seeing patients and learning useful clinical skills in a controlled setting).
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Suppose that's entirely dependent on how you're judging "best". Mind elaborating for the OP?

It just seems to have the best reputation for medicine out of the 3 universities posted.

Just adding my opinion - I certainly wouldn't want OP to make a university choice solely on the basis of my post! :p:
ukmed108
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by coultra1)
Hi everyone!

I applied for medicine this year and have been lucky enough to get offers from Edinburgh, St Andrews and Aberdeen. I'm having a very difficult time choosing, however, as there are so many different things about each university which appeal to me.

I live fairly close to St Andrews (around 20 minutes ) and I'm not sure how much this would affect my university experience. I'd definitely want to move away from home but I don't know if it would be worth it in the case of St Andrews.

St Andrews and Aberdeen are both conditional offers but I think the conditions should be achievable provided I work hard!

Any advice or opinions on any of the universities would be greatly appreciated!
I would choose Edinburgh, but only because you want to move away from home and Edinburgh seems to be in the center of things. St Andrews is also a fine choice as if you are on the Scottish Route you can spend your clinical years in any medical school if your choosing (allocated based on your grades).
HugeBicepLAD
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
£dinburgh.

Me & University
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi, apologies this is a bit on the long side, but I think it's all relevant :') I'm torn between Edinburgh and St Andrews, Edinburgh being for Philosophy and English and St Andrews being for straight Philosophy. I had an offer for St Andrews last year but missed it by one grade! I'm on a gap year now preparing to resit a few exams and get the grade up and was told by St Andrews last year that they would consider me again but obviously as second priority to first round applicants.

Admittedly, I haven't got an offer from St Andrews this year yet, but I do have an unconditional offer for Edinburgh so I don't technically need to resit, and I'm from England so I should get up to £7,000 in the Edinburgh Bursary. Basically I don't know what to do if I did get a second offer from St Andrews as I would probably be considerably poorer but the course seems to be of a slightly higher quality and I love the place, plus the key reason for the gap year was to improve my grades and reapply to St Andrews! I haven't visited Edinburgh Uni yet but I already think I'll like it so I'm in a bit of a catch 22 until I hear from St Andrews one way or the other, and will be if I get an offer!

Any advice would be much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.58%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.26%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17.89%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
24.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.05%

Watched Threads