The Student Room Group

Unis for Graphic / Illustration courses?

Heyo! A bit about myself: I graduated last year with an animation diploma and total GPA of 3.2. My score is pretty bad as 3D animation modules pulled my marks down by a lot (2.9 for Year 2). Year 1 was a decent 3.1, and Year 3 was a 3.6 as I chose illustration and character designing modules.

I've managed to convince my father to allow me to go study overseas, but money is quite an issue (I'm hoping not to spend more than 80-100K SGD) so I've decided to stick to design courses and the few unis that have advanced standing. I have been reading some of the forum posts and also doing my own research on uk unis, but it is pretty hard when there are so many to choose from, unlike in Singapore where there are only around 10+ unis and art schools.

Going for open days is definitely out of the question as I'm in SG. I'm looking for a uni that has good student prospects, staff that are open to ideas and not just try to force their views on you, and a vibrant study environment. Not interested in those located in expensive cities like London.

My other dilemma is whether to take a graphic design course or an illustration course? I know illustration is one of the pathways in graphic design, but I'm just not sure whether to take that or to do one that is more focused on illustration? Or one that has both (like the one in De Montfort)? Is there any difference at all??

I'm decent with Photoshop, not really that great with Illustrator, and I prefer to draw traditionally. And because I'm looking to be able to skip 1-1.5 years ahead, I'm afraid that I would lose out as I didn't do foundation year and am only skilled in a few areas. However, I really cannot afford to study 3 full years.

I'll be attending an education fair where representatives from some of the unis will be coming down to SG, so I hope to gain some insights here first.

I've attached a list of the UK unis that have advanced standing agreements with my school, and a LINK to some of my works (my old portfolio, 3 illustrated children books and photos of my recent sketches). I'm also open to unis that are not on the list!

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading!

adv standing uk.png

Quick Reply

Latest