Turn on thread page Beta

How urgent is it that we adopt the thoughts of the Zeitgeist Movement? watch

ReputationRep:
    Given our exponential movement towards mass unemployment, widening wealth gap, the environmental collapse of the planet, can we really sustain the present competitive method of organizing the world?

ReputationRep:
    No. We're ****ed.

How urgent? Almost so urgent that's it's become not urgent anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Could you explain what this thing is about in specific terms?

ReputationRep:
    I think our only chance lies in the Anti-Pretentious Pseudo-Intellectual Arse movement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    No. We're ****ed.

How urgent? Almost so urgent that's it's become not urgent anymore.
    This.
    The human race is destined to collapse as things are progressing, but I don't rate that as a bad thing.

The planet won't be effected because it can regenerate as it has done numerous times already. Just not in the human time scale.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here actually watched the documentaries by the Zeitgeist movement?

They are extremely interesting and very thought-provoking - you definitely won't see the world the same way. I'd urge anyone to have a watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    This.
    The human race is destined to collapse as things are progressing, but I don't rate that as a bad thing.
    I agree, any species that has the ability to spawn someone like you should meet a swift end.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain this "Movement".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gray Wolf)
    Can someone please explain this "Movement".
    Google is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, any species that has the ability to spawn someone like you should meet a swift end.
    I'm glad you agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Google is your friend.
    Any time I try to Google it I get, what looks like someone describing an acid trip. No real specifics of how the transition from say a monetary economy to the proposed could take place how certain problems would be tackled and so on. No explanation behind the propositions.

ReputationRep:
    Any time I try to Google it I get, what looks like someone describing an acid trip. No real specifics of how the transition from say a monetary economy to the proposed could take place how certain problems would be tackled and so on. No explanation behind the propositions.
    That's because there is none. The more mysterious it sounds the more people buy into it. It's completely impractical.

ReputationRep:
    It is because we have such entrenched dogma about the current system that the ideas put forward by the Zeitgeist Movement need to be understood before a transition can be mapped out or accepted. The practicalities of the transition will be much easier once people realize that the current system is unsustainable, and that there is a much more civilized way forward.

It would be a bit like showing a caveman how to use a computer, without telling him what it is for.

This link has a brief outline, but the full Zeitgeist Defined book has all the detail.
    http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/mission-statement
    or watch this

ReputationRep:
    That's because there is none. The more mysterious it sounds the more people buy into it. It's completely impractical.
    There is nothing mysterious about it. It is actually too practical for current thinking. It is the current system which will have no practicality in the very near future, as we will simply run out of resources, completely screw the planet and/or drastically reduce the population with war and famine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    There is nothing mysterious about it. It is actually too practical for current thinking. It is the current system which will have no practicality in the very near future, as we will simply run out of resources, completely screw the planet and/or drastically reduce the population with war and famine.
    That's fine. The current system is the one that best matches human behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine. The current system is the one that best matches human behaviour.
    Human behavior is conditioned by society. Change society change human behavior.
    Ignoring alternatives is 'fiddling while Rome burns'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    Human behavior is conditioned by society. Change society change human behavior.
    Ignoring alternatives is 'fiddling while Rome burns'.
    Human behaviour is by large parts due to human biology and evolutionary development. This is why many economic systems that were at odds with intrinsic human traits failed i.e. communism. Unless you can convince me that this not another post communist pipe dream I will have to remain sceptical.

(You can convince me by explaining specifics or directing me to a publication like "Das Kapital" i.e. a clear ideological frame work that does it for you.)

ReputationRep:
    Human behaviour is by large parts due to human biology and evolutionary development.
    Some are, but behaviors like competition, empathy etc. are conditioned much more by our social environment.

This is why many economic systems that were at odds with intrinsic human traits failed i.e. communism. Unless you can convince me that this not another post communist pipe dream I will have to remain sceptical.
    The Zeitgeist Movement is not communism. The versions of communism which we have had, have all been an amalgam of communism and capitalism as they have all used monetary systems and hierarchy. It is only in more recent times that the opportunity for organizing a true resourced based economy has become possible and necessary. We are today facing a massive growth in the consumer based style of living, which is totally unsustainable.

(You can convince me by explaining specifics or directing me to a publication like "Das Kapital" i.e. a clear ideological frame work that does it for you.)
    The book Zeitgeist Defined has all the detail - http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/orientation
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think there'll need to be a revolution in terms of wealth redistribution, since as soon as AI properly comes around, there'll be huge unemployment and huge centralisation of wealth. Unless we create a more effective means for people to contribute/earn money, we'll be ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Mike)
    I think our only chance lies in the Anti-Pretentious Pseudo-Intellectual Arse movement
    Concurred, hot air after all is apparently doing us no favours.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.