rd7g13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I know the details of the Vendee in quiet depth however would someone be able to help me with the causes of it, specifically religious political and economical factors. And any schools of thought, thanks.
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Found this paragraph online

The extensive historiography on the Vendée reveals the wars’ significance and popularityfor studies of the French Revolution. Until recently, historiography of the French Revolution hasemphasized its continuity and impact on the present. For the Marxist historians, there is a direneed to explain the Vendée as anachronistic reaction in the context of the inevitable socialconflict and the rise of the bourgeoisie. Marxist interpretations emphasize extreme religiosityand royalist sentiment to portray the counter*-revolution as a backwards anomaly.
3 But in thewake of Furet and post*Marxist interpretations of the Revolution, closer examinations haverevealed the Vendean conflict to be far more complex. Charles Tilly’s detailed study found asomewhat prosperous and independent peasantry in the West growing increasingly distrustful ofa strengthening bourgeoisie or ‘urban’ influence.4 Traditionally suspicious of reform, the ruralpeasantry appear to have been agitated as much by the threat of socio*economic reform as by theCivil Constitution of Clergy and Levée en Masse.5 Thus, socio*economic origins have come tothe forefront against traditional perspectives of the Vendée as an ideological conflict.

3 Claude Petitfrère, “The Origins of the Civil War in the Vendée,” French History 2, no. 2 (June 1988): 189‐191.
4 Charles Tilly, The Vendée (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1966), 340.
5 Petitfrère, 192‐193; David Andress, The French Revolution and the People (London: Hambledon & London, 2004),195.

http://www.jmu.edu/mwa/docs/2009/2009%20LeCompte.pdf
rd7g13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Cheers pal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads