albany-geography
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm doing my AS levels this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice and/or predictions on the topics which are likely to come up this year. I've got at least 30 case studies to try and get my head around and would love a bit of direction so that I can focus on some more than others.. Any advice is welcome, I'm aiming for an A thanks
Motivated
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing OCR as geo too, and I'm so scared, do you have any idea what the june 2013 questions were? and wow 30 case studies??!! which topics are you doing?
albany-geography
Rep:
?
You can find any of the past paper questions here - http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/download-past-papers/
I'm doing rivers, coasts and cold environments and then rural change, urban change and tourism.. I've looked through all my notes and don't think I'll need to learn 30 case studies in detail, but there are still quite a few to do how about you?
Adikurdyla
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How did you find it? I thought the essay question for both the cold/hot environments was horrendously worded
Gregorysmithem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Adikurdyla)
How did you find it? I thought the essay question for both the cold/hot environments was horrendously worded
I did the rivers essay, which was really nice! Overall coast questions and cold environments weren't too bad!
Adikurdyla
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gregorysmithem)
I did the rivers essay, which was really nice! Overall coast questions and cold environments weren't too bad!
that's good! I did the coast question and thought it decent, although i had a total mind block about the hard engineering question and couldn't think of much to write
Gregorysmithem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Adikurdyla)
that's good! I did the coast question and thought it decent, although i had a total mind block about the hard engineering question and couldn't think of much to write
I wrote about East Anglian coastline and things they've done there such as groynes and rip rap and how they work
Gregorysmithem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gregorysmithem)
I wrote about East Anglian coastline and things they've done there such as groynes and rip rap and how they work
What grade are you aiming for?
Matt2025
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What types of impacts did you talk about in the rivers essay? Long/short term economic/social/environment positive/negative?
Gregorysmithem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Matt2025)
What types of impacts did you talk about in the rivers essay? Long/short term economic/social/environment positive/negative?
I talked about uk flood 2007 went into detail with lots of case study specifics facts and figures etc about how much it cost...then talked about social issues, such as how communities were affected
then did Bangladesh 1998 and talked about ecomomic impacts again and how the industries were greatly affected as it's an LEdc and heavily reliant on subsistence farming.....then I talked about environmental degradation but also some positives as it brought fertile alluvium up onto floodplain for farming! What did you put?
spookz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My friends told me overall the paper was generally easy. I was quiet jealous I did Physical last year and thought it was quiet tricky as some of the questions were so vague.
albany-geography
Rep:
?
i picked the coast long essay which i found quite easy - spoke about processes at barton-on-sea and west africa
river short questions were okay although had a mind blank on the 'why would these human activities be placed here' question
cold environment questions weren't the best either, although writing about vegetation was my ideal question!

aiming for an A but definitely going to have to do well in the human exam on friday to achieve that, are you guys nervous? any predictions on what might come up?
username1065368
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Any predictions for the essays tomorrow? I think I'm gonna focus on Urban, Energy and Tourism?
michsitiy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tryhardkid)
Any predictions for the essays tomorrow? I think I'm gonna focus on Urban, Energy and Tourism?
i have a feeling that energy mix would be one don't know why?
how did you revise for urban i am finding it really hard dont know whether to leave it and focus on energy, tourism and rural. :confused:
albany-geography
Rep:
?
i'm going for rural urban and tourism, think urban for the long essay but i've got so many case studies and havent left myself enough time to remember them all
michsitiy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by michsitiy)
i have a feeling that energy mix would be one don't know why?
how did you revise for urban i am finding it really hard dont know whether to leave it and focus on energy, tourism and rural. :confused:
. I knew energy mix was gonna come up lucky guess. Did anyone do the energy 25 mark question and how did u find it?
username1417378
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2607520
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise