The Student Room Group

Improving commercial awareness - biggest events of last 10 years

Hey all,

In preparation for my upcoming job in the legal sector, I am attempting to become more commercially aware. I am in the process of reading books and newspapers to understand how the City ‘works’ and to keep abreast of current affairs. However, these sources are usually light on historical examples of major commercial events of the last 10 or so years.

In order to have a more rounded commercial awareness, I would be grateful if people could point me in the direction of major takeovers, hirings/firings, transactions, shifts in economic policy etc that have significantly affected the City of London during the last 10 years.

I am aware that this is a vast enquiry, but hope only to be pointed in the right direction of the most important events, so that I can then direct my own research.

If anyone knows of any other forums where this might be better placed, then please let me know.

Many thanks,
Chris
Reply 1
This is an unanswerable question.

You should probably start with reading some pop economics. Michael Lewis' - Boomerang or Liars Poker, Gillian Tett's - Fools Gold, or Joseph Stiglitz's - The price of inequality.

Be mindful though that all of the above books are pretty critical of the City and the financial sector more generally.
Reply 2
Without doubt the biggest commercial event of the last 10 years is the 2008 financial crisis. Getting your head around that and the plethora of information on it would be a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending