The Student Room Group

Philosophy

The course chosen for my degree is Philosophy but I have heard many things about it being less-respected than other degrees and of course I would like a degree that is respected and not looked down upon, do you guys agree that it's a bad course?
Reply 1
The degree itself is well respected, but has poor job prospects. The skils it teaches you however, are very useful for the world of work.
Reply 2
Thank you both!!!! It was between Physics and Philosophy so which do you reckon would be the better one?
What do you want to do?
Reply 4
Original post by samthemiller
What do you want to do?

Philosophy right now but that could just be as I have done A-Level Physics but never done Philosophy so idk!!!!
Reply 5
I won't agree with that, there is time for everything. Proceed with the course, no knowledge is wasted.
Reply 6
I disagree with what you've heard. From personal experience, whenever I tell someone I do philosophy they pull and impressed face as if to say "wow, that's hard". I think people are under the impression it's very challenging (it is), mind-boggling and only for the super-smart, so it's respected in that sense.

But I think some people also think that while all that may be, it's also "useless" for finding a job and learning anything that will help in a career or future life. I can see where they're coming from, but I find philosophy to be a valuable subject. I can't (or don't really want to) put it into words, but philosophy has really stretched me and educated me on a number of things that no other subject could have ever done (I also do it with Psychology, though).

It's not a waste. It doesn't lead to anything specific, but neither does something like English literature or History, if you think about it. With these subjects, you use transferrable skills in any career you intend to continue with post-uni.

It's an excellent course. I am, however, apprehensive about straight-philosophy. If you are too, look at joint-philosophy courses. I think there's only so much philosophy one brain can take before they start to get confused, frustrated or wanting to do something different. I have yet to have that problem with joint-philosophy and still find it fascinating and engaging. I'm glad I have that break of psychology, though.
Philosophy is looked upon quite highly in my experience. It is a humanity that is as respected as the sciences. I think oxford and Cambridge have a list and its very high on it.
Job prospects are not narrowed, my Phil teacher said many of his friends then went on to be very wealthy even though there jobs now are nothing to do with Phil. You have to take the skills you learn away from the degree rather than the facts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
That is an insightful repsponse, OP (lou_100). I originally applied to study Philosophy as a single honours. Though, after much deliberation, contacted my university and requested to be transfered to study Philosophy & Hispanic Studies. Philosophy is a great subject to combine with others. It causes you to think articulately, analyse data rigorously and generally improve, or at least widen, your perception of everyday life. It will provide you with an arsenal of mental equipment that will supplement any other subject, and, for matter of fact, your skills in many occupations also.

I'll leave you with this though; whatever you choose to study, just be certain that it is something you love. Something you are willing to dedicate 4 years of your life to. It is a sad reality how so many individuals place education as solely a means to employment, albeit this is important, but disregard the intrinsic value of educating yourself to be a wiser and better person also. If you choose what you love, or enjoy the most, you will have a beneficial and highly gratifying academic career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending