The Student Room Group

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Is physical attraction to someone a basic requirement before you start to have emotional feelings?

Scroll to see replies

No.
I think it's usually more of a case of 'lust at first sight.' If you see someone whom you're instantly attracted to, you have no reason to think that they could possibly be your soul mate because you don't really know them. You're just admiring their physical attractiveness.
Reply 3
I believe in lust at first sight, yes! Love at first sight...? Not really.

I dont think you have to be physically attracted to someone straight off to be able to develop feelings, it can be something that grows. If they are really handsome/ripped/whatever then you'll notice that straight off, but the little things you start to notice about someone, the particular colour of their eyes, how strong their hands are, stuff you would spot immediately they walked into a room, are the things that become very attractive as you develop the emotional side.
I do believe in it... Not in 'proper', deep love at first sight, but more of a connection at first sight.

I know somebody who told me that within 2 minutes of first talking to her now husband, she knew that she would one day marry him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No
Reply 6
Nah, don't believe in love, let alone that rubbish!
Though I don't believe in love at first sight, I do think physical attraction (not necessarily looks, just how you physically connect) is very important in getting those romantic feelings; things that make you think 'I'd love to see that smile every day."

I do believe in "love" at first date, in the sense that I think you can tell if you're going to fall madly in love with that person afterwards. Happened with my partner.
(edited 10 years ago)
No.

WHAT IS LOVE?!
/deep/
Reply 9
Original post by LolaLowe
I believe in lust at first sight, yes! Love at first sight...? Not really.

I dont think you have to be physically attracted to someone straight off to be able to develop feelings, it can be something that grows. If they are really handsome/ripped/whatever then you'll notice that straight off, but the little things you start to notice about someone, the particular colour of their eyes, how strong their hands are, stuff you would spot immediately they walked into a room, are the things that become very attractive as you develop the emotional side.

Totally agree...
Reply 10
Fancy the pants off at first sight, yes. Love, no. Mind you, there are occasionally people who meet and find each other attractive and very quickly establish a rapport, get married quickly and celebrate their 50 year wedding anniversary. Quite rare though.
Nope. I think there's being physically attracted to/liking the 'look' of someone instantly. Love goes further than just physical attraction though, you have no idea what someone's like the minute you first lay eyes on them, so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Though I don't believe in love at first sight, I do think physical attraction (not necessarily looks, just how you physically connect) is very important in getting those romantic feelings; things that make you think 'I'd love to see that smile every day."

I do believe in "love" at first date, in the sense that I think you can tell if you're going to fall madly in love with that person afterwards.

How can you possibly tell that?
Original post by elpistolero7
How can you possibly tell that?

I'll admit, it does sound crazy when you haven't experienced it. I promise you though, when you're there in the moment, listening to that person speak, looking at them and admiring them, and just thinking 'wow, this man is incredible, it's like looking into a dream of what I want from a relationship', you know it exists.

It happened with my current partner. I was running seriously late from work due to long meeting. He arrived at the restaurant at 3, and I didn't get there until 5. I was amazed he waited to two hours for me. I thought 'what a gentleman!'

We were supposed to see each other for an hour or two, and ended up spending six hours in the restaurant, talking and laughing. I'd never met anybody like him before - he was so passionate, and attentive, and cracked the most hilarious jokes that I still think back to today and laugh. We talked about everything, our childhoods, my recent split, politics (both diehard Tories), and just random stuff. I'd never laughed so hard in my life.

At the end of the date, he gave me a single rose (he had been pinning for me for a little while), held my hands around his, and said "I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world, inside and out. I'll do anything to have you as my girlfriend." I knew one day I'd be marrying him.
No but I believe in infatuation at first sight :smile:
Love is something that is built through mutual respect and an understanding that you can commit your life to the other person

You can find someone attractive
You can like someone
You can discover mutual interests

All of this can happen very quickly but love - it needs more than a look/date
Lust at first sight yes, not love.
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I'll admit, it does sound crazy when you haven't experienced it. I promise you though, when you're there in the moment, listening to that person speak, looking at them and admiring them, and just thinking 'wow, this man is incredible, it's like looking into a dream of what I want from a relationship', you know it exists.

It happened with my current partner. I was running seriously late from work due to long meeting. He arrived at the restaurant at 3, and I didn't get there until 5. I was amazed he waited to two hours for me. I thought 'what a gentleman!'

We were supposed to see each other for an hour or two, and ended up spending six hours in the restaurant, talking and laughing. I'd never met anybody like him before - he was so passionate, and attentive, and cracked the most hilarious jokes that I still think back to today and laugh. We talked about everything, our childhoods, my recent split, politics (both diehard Tories), and just random stuff. I'd never laughed so hard in my life.

At the end of the date, he gave me a single rose (he had been pinning for me for a little while), held my hands around his, and said "I think you're the most beautiful woman in the world, inside and out. I'll do anything to have you as my girlfriend." I knew one day I'd be marrying him.

Well I definitely haven't experience anything like it. First date with my current girlfriend was a disaster :lol: which is probably why I was skeptical at the statement. Infact my first date with my ex was also meh :lol:.

I can see why the statement holds true in your case though. Sounds like one hell of a first date :smile:.

Cracking username btw :biggrin:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by guppygould
Nah, don't believe in love, let alone that rubbish!

awww. Do you need a hug? :console:
Original post by elpistolero7
Well I definitely haven't experience anything like it. First date with my current girlfriend was a disaster :lol: which is why I was skeptical at the statement.

I can see why the statement holds true in your case though. Sounds like one hell of a first date :smile:.

Cracking username btw :biggrin:.

Haha! What happened there? :smile:

I don't think it's a requirement for everyone to have - your relationship won't necessarily be unsuccessful because you didn't get that 'first date feeling' I just think that we both knew what we were looking for, and it happened to be exactly each other.

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending