The Student Room Group

C4 Binomial expansion

Taken from OCR C4 paper 2013 Q2
(9-16x)^3/2 expand first 3 terms. This gives 27-72x+32x^2
Next part I don't get....
State set of values for which the expansion is valid.
I can see why x<9/16 but I can't understand why x>-9/16 as stated in the mark scheme.
Reply 1
What is the condition for (1+x)^r to have a valid expansion in general?

(here r is just any number e.g. 3/2).
Reply 2
As a general rule, the expansion of a binomial with a negative or fractional index is only valid if |r|<1 (This can be proved using geometric progressions, but I forgot the proof.)
In this case |16x/9|<1, and therefore -9/16<x<9/16
Reply 3
Thank you for the replies, but I'm still unsure.
Can anybody else add light to this issue.
The examiners report simply states that many candidates avoided answering the last part (Valid set of values for x).
Reply 4
Original post by xlaser31
The examiners report simply states that many candidates avoided answering the last part (Valid set of values for x).

Do you understand the general condition

Do you realise that whilst 1+12+(12)2+(12)3+....1 + \frac{1}{2} + (\frac{1}{2})^2 + (\frac{1}{2})^3 + .... converges

1+3+32+33+....1 + 3 + 3^2 + 3^3 + .... does not

Do you realise that the fraction could be negative and still converge and that the 3 could be negative and still diverge

This gives us (1+r)n(1+r)^n converging if |r|<1, i.e. if -1<r<1
Reply 5
Original post by xlaser31

Do you understand the general condition

Do you realise that whilst 1+12+(12)2+(12)3+....1 + \frac{1}{2} + (\frac{1}{2})^2 + (\frac{1}{2})^3 + .... converges

1+3+32+33+....1 + 3 + 3^2 + 3^3 + .... does not

Do you realise that the fraction could be negative and still converge and that the 3 could be negative and still diverge

This gives us (1+r)n(1+r)^n converging if |r|<1, i.e. if -1<r<1 for all values of n

Quick Reply

Latest