The Student Room Group

When the hell is the BBC going to make something awesome?

There's been a few shows such as Sherlock that puts out a measly three episodes a piece and Doctor Who which has fifty years resting behind it but in general the UK dramas have been sucking. Atlantis was absolutely awful and The Musketeers was only good compared to the other dramas being put out but doesn't hold a candle to even House of Cards. The characters development, writing. direction and plots are so lackluster.

All the awesome must-see TV that people are buzzing about and becoming obsessed about seem to be coming from across the pond. Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, True Detective, Hannibal, House of Cards etc or those high quality crime dramas from scandinavia and Europe.

The Musketeers was fine but I don't clamour for every episode, I could easily miss two (and I did) and watch them later. I was so desperate for Game of Thrones I stayed up until 2am for season 4 episode 1. When is the BBC going to produce something like that?
Reply 1
Why should they? They get a free ride being the only channel able to extort unearned money through the TV licence fee. They know they can't compete because all they're capable of is cooking shows and property purchase shows for people too decrepit to reach the TV remote to put something decent on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rome was pretty good back in the day, but I think even that was a joint venture with HBO.
The USA can produce better shows as they have more potential viewers & their cable system works better in terms of funding channels. The BBC mostly makes cosy dramas for old folk to watch as they're a public service. The fact they're shutting down BBC3 shows this is their agenda so don't expect all that much new & groundbreaking stuff in the future.
Reply 4
Sure the BBC makes a killing from the TV licence. But that budget has to be split with kids shows, the news and about a million other things. The difference with the us is dedicated production companies such as HBO, AMC and Showtime put their entire budget into their shows. This means they can afford to pour millions into multi-season shows such as Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. The BBC simple doesn't have the cash. On a positive note, the moving of BBC3 online will give £30mil to the BBC drama department for future productions, so I hope we get something decent this year.
Have you seen Being Human?
Original post by TroyAndAbed
The fact they're shutting down BBC3 shows this is their agenda so don't expect all that much new & groundbreaking stuff in the future.

Several years too late, I might add. As a Channel BBC Three had no reason to exist other than delivering sub-par comedy and endless reruns of Family Guy and American Dad. BBC Three did have some good programmes don't get me wrong (Little Britain and Russell Howard's Good News) but BBC Three and BBC Four could have merged them, or have them stripped out and placed on a BBC Two schedule.

Until BBC Three start producing some good programmes there's no way I will watch BBC Three. I think the last time I watched it was for the reairing of the Olympic Closing Ceremony O.o

The reason why people are getting angry about BBC Three closing is they are no longer riding the gravy train for their programmes. Good riddance.
Reply 7
Wasn't house of cards British.
To be air the BBC does a lot of good stuff, the just don't become terribly well known or well remembered because the series are short and sweet. Hustle, Spooks were fantastic but short seasons and they ended it on a high. The problem with Americans is they run stuff into the ground. Remember house? That was great, but then they churned it out season after season until eventually it was like "ahh I wonder what's wrong??? of course it's ****ing lupus again."

Like other people have said the BBC has relatively little funding by comparison, the cable networks have adverts every 4 seconds and a massively increased viewership. Not to mention the networks only do entertainment, not news and online interactive stuff like red button and i player stuff... not to mention all the amazing live stuff the BBC airs that the cable networks don't have to do.

Also you're saying why don't the BBC have big stuff like walking dead and game of thrones... don't forget they're all different companies funding their own star series, AMC, FOX, HBO, Warner etc so only effectively having to put their eggs in one big basket.

You're giving the BBC a pretty unfair wrap considering all the awesome stuff they do that the companies you're comparing them to wouldn't even have the structure or forethought to consider.
Reply 8
Have you seen Call the midwife?
Think about how big USA is in comparison , how big of a budget they have etc

Also I think in general Britain makes much more good quality TV then the US . the BBC being the worlds biggest broadcast organization and all , we should be proud.

Quick Reply

Latest