RoneeAnne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have applied to study maths and have gained all my offers. I have decided on Warwick as my firm choice but can't decide between either Kent ABB or Sussex AAA as my insurance.
I have been to both of them and thought they were both nice and feel I would be happy at either.
I know it's only insurance but it is an important decision as I may end up going to one of them. If anyone could give me any advice on their opinions of both unis are that would be really helpful :confused:
czechmishaout
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is your condition for your firm choice? An insurance should be something that has lower requirements than your first choice. If things go wrong, are you more likely to get an AAA or ABB?
I'd go for the ABB option, if you have no preference either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your insurance needs to be one that you would be happy to go to if you missed your firm. It should also be lower than your firm offer, so that if you miss your firm you've still got your insurance (Clearing is a stressful thing, not to be entered into lightly).

What's the offer from Warwick?
What are your predicted grades?
Do you think your predicted grades are realistic?
Would you be happy to go to Sussex or Kent? Any particular preference between the two?
Do they give accommodation to insurance applicants?
RoneeAnne
Rep:
?
(Original post by czechmishaout)
What is your condition for your firm choice? An insurance should be something that has lower requirements than your first choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick wants A*A*A or A*AA so both options are lower and I'm pretty confident I could achieve the grades needed for them.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoneeAnne)
Warwick wants A*A*A or A*AA so both options are lower and I'm pretty confident I could achieve the grades needed for them.
In that case, go for the place you think you'd be happiest.

Have you had a look at the modules on offer at each uni? They can vary enormously, and it's really important to choose a course you'll enjoy.
RoneeAnne
Rep:
?
The thing is I would be happy at either uni. I have looked at the modules and both courses look like ones I would enjoy. I really can't decide
Millie1986
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you would be genuinely happy at either and there is nothing to sway you one way or the other (societies, location, travel, accommodation, reputation, ranking, etc) then personally I would go for the lower offer just to take the pressure off just that bit more. Hopefully you will get into Warwick and it will be irrelevant, but if you were ill during exam time or something and didn't get the grades you were hoping for then it would be good to be confident that you'd still get into your insurance. Sometimes people pick an insurance too high and end up missing both firm and insurance and have to go through clearing.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoneeAnne)
The thing is I would be happy at either uni. I have looked at the modules and both courses look like ones I would enjoy. I really can't decide
Have you visited both?

Also, start to look at things like how much bursary (if any) you would get, accommodation guarantees, societies on offer etc.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lots of advice here about making Firm/Insurance choices - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (88)
24.51%
No (271)
75.49%

Watched Threads