Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I completed my sociology A level last year, getting high A's in every exam. I made my own revision material, so I thought I'd give you it incase it helps you.
    It's for a mix of the exams. Namely, Education, Beliefs in society and Crime and Deviance.

For Crime and deviance I made a website - http://sociologymofo.tumblr.com/

Anyother questions just hit me. I made the revision resources for me, so they may not help you/make sense to you. But I'd gladly help you out if you need it! hope this helps.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Beliefs in society.docx (72.3 KB, 3866 views)
  2. File Type: docx model aanswers.docx (26.5 KB, 3687 views)
  3. File Type: pptx Religion PP.pptx (216.1 KB, 3238 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very muchh!!! x
    Did you do exam last year, what did you achieve in the end?? If ya don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloriousgloria)
    Thank you very muchh!!! x
    Did you do exam last year, what did you achieve in the end?? If ya don't mind me asking

For Family (AS) I got 2 marks off full marks, the same with Education.
    For Crime and Deviance (A2) I got an A and for Beliefs in society I got a high A

I studied really hard though - after school for an hour or two, then during the weekend/exam leave I studied for about 5-6 hours a day. (with breaks obviously) I did lots of different revision techniques though!

ReputationRep:
    You are literally a life saver. Thank you sooo much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_say)
    I completed my sociology A level last year, getting high A's in every exam. I made my own revision material, so I thought I'd give you it incase it helps you.
    It's for a mix of the exams. Namely, Education, Beliefs in society and Crime and Deviance.

Anyother questions just hit me. I made the revision resources for me, so they may not help you/make sense to you. But I'd gladly help you out if you need it! hope this helps.
    hey i was wondering if by chance (aka a miracle) you have any of your notes for AS sociology?
    anything would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freudine)
    hey i was wondering if by chance (aka a miracle) you have any of your notes for AS sociology?
    anything would be helpful

For Family or for education? For education, I do. But for family I don't, I used this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...MPVEA907M3W00W ( I got two marks off full marks by using this to revise! )

I'll attach my education now - I made one, and my friend and I made the other one together. You may have learnt different studies though so beware! Also I created a blog as well but I put quite a lot up but not LOADS - http://sociologyeducation.tumblr.com/

I haven't got revision material for method in context however, I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp.../dp/0007418329 for the method in context.
    If you're struggling with MIC questions, or just the normal sociology questions let me know and I'll do my best to help you!!

Sorry if I didn't help!
    Attached Files
  4. File Type: docx education.docx (40.1 KB, 982 views)
  5. File Type: doc Sociology revision Education.doc (61.0 KB, 16546 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_say)
    For Family or for education? For education, I do. But for family I don't, I used this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp...MPVEA907M3W00W ( I got two marks off full marks by using this to revise! )

I'll attach my education now - I made one, and my friend and I made the other one together. You may have learnt different studies though so beware! Also I created a blog as well but I put quite a lot up but not LOADS - http://sociologyeducation.tumblr.com/

I haven't got revision material for method in context however, I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Supp.../dp/0007418329 for the method in context.
    If you're struggling with MIC questions, or just the normal sociology questions let me know and I'll do my best to help you!!

Sorry if I didn't help!
    I would like to thank you for all the help and resources you have providdd , excellent notes.

Im doing beliefs in society and wondered if you had anything on secularization ? Its the last topic im going over and had almost twenty pages in my text book so im finding it hard to seperate what I need to know and all the other unnecessary information.

Any tips on this sub topic ?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_say)
    For Family (AS) I got 2 marks off full marks, the same with Education.
    For Crime and Deviance (A2) I got an A and for Beliefs in society I got a high A

I studied really hard though - after school for an hour or two, then during the weekend/exam leave I studied for about 5-6 hours a day. (with breaks obviously) I did lots of different revision techniques though!
    wows that's amazing! *jealous* Do you have any tips on essay structure and writing? or How do you formulate your answers? specifically for the 33 markerss. Even though I may know information there's the case that I suck at applying the info?

ReputationRep:
    Hi as the person above said? I need try getting an A in beliefs in society and crime and deviance but. I really don't know how to structure the essays! The 33 markers for beliefs and methods, the 18marker for religion, and 21 for crime?

Could you please share your exam technique and structure? and btw congrats on those amazing grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J56)
    Hi as the person above said? I need try getting an A in beliefs in society and crime and deviance but. I really don't know how to structure the essays! The 33 markers for beliefs and methods, the 18marker for religion, and 21 for crime?

Could you please share your exam technique and structure? and btw congrats on those amazing grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry for the late reply! For the essays, always remember it's a debate - it's as simple as that really.

I'll go through what I did in my exams :
    For crime : the 21 marker was "assess" so with assess, you always do a back and forth - for every postive point, make a negative one/opposite for example if you're talking about the functionalist perspective and you say x/y/z make sure you say that however this doesn't take into account x/y/z and the marxist perspective does and says... it's only 21 marks so do a little intro, around 6 + points, and 6 - opposite/negative points, do a little conclusion. Try and make your points as detailed and sophisticated as you can.
    The thing with getting an A in sociology is you really have to be 'Sorry for the late reply! For the essays, always remember it's a debate - it's as simple as that really.

For crime : the 21 marker was "assess" so with assess, you always do a back and forth - for every postive point, make a negative one/opposite for example if you're talking about the functionalist perspective and you say x/y/z make sure you say that however this doesn't take into account x/y/z and the marxist perspective does and says... it's only 21 marks so do a little intro, around 6 + points, and 6 - opposite/negative points, do a little conclusion. Try and make your points as detailed and sophisticated as you can.
    The thing with getting an A in sociology is you really have to be 'Sorry for the late reply! For the essays, always remember it's a debate - it's as simple as that really.

The thing with getting an A in sociology is you really have to be 'inventive' per say, try making points that aren't that generic (which the marker is going to read 60+ times) also try and remember background (stuff you haven't learnt in class) statistics/research if you can

For For the 15 marker MIC question (the one that only asks about a specific method) make sure you've done your research on other studies that have used that method for example suicide studies, list around 5 strengths, and 5 weakness' if you can. Try to be detailed again. It helps, remember to study the strengths and weakness - I used a table sorta layout to help organise it.

The 33 marker science questions is a difficult one, because there are so many topics it could be so it's really hard to revise it all! That's why crime was so hard there was like 50+ things it could be.

My advice for this is, the same as before - make sure you know the pro's and con's (so who said it was a science/who didn't - who said it was value free/who didn't etc) then throw some inventive blagging skills in there, try to relate it to certain views/studies (if it's relevant). My 33 marker was the science one, so I literally (probably not the best advice) but down everything I could think of and added points which related to eachother, added a few points about paradigms, and certain advancements in science, but mostly just went for all the points/philosophers /scientists who commented on this. (sorry if that's not helpful) but the structure for the 33 marker is like every other question. A nice intro, then make a point for, make another point against, add some relevant info, do this around 10 times if you can. Add some info that will impress, and do a really concise conclusion.

For Beliefs in Society :

9 marks is the easy one - 3 points that are detailed.

18 marks - it's usually an assess questions, so like before, make sure you have the two sides of the argument, and conclude that it's a range of factors that equal this. do around 6 for points and 6 against points, and a conclusion that's not too big or you'll waste time but make sure it's around a paragraph (5 sentences ?)

For the 33 marker - if it's an assess a theory (e.g marxists, functionalist, new right etc) Make sure you say what they contributed to the x/y/z then say "however, it doesn't explain x/y/z and the perspective of x/y/z does this. Also, I had the assess the Marxist theory question, so I added as much relevant extra stuff I could! Talking about Cuba, revolution, poland/russia etc.If you want an A make sure you do background reseach even if it's a little, it'll help impress the researcher!

if you get an "extent" question, it's similar, so you point out who/what they agree with, then go back on yourself and argue the opposite view! It's a debate remember.Always argue! It's hard because it's so many marks! but as long as you give a good set of points for and against.

Time wise: for crime you get 2 hours (if you don't get extra time) the recommendation for the time on the exam is about right, but it depends how fast you write! If you get stuck, leave a large portion in the work book and go to the next question! Go back to it when you're done, you'll probably gain some ideas. NEVER LEAVE A QUESTION OUT! I had a friend who only wrote 2 points for the 33 marker and ended up with a E. So even if you can't write a big essay, get bullet point down if you run out of time, it'll all help!
    sorry if this doesn't help!

Any other questions let me know! I'll try and be more helpful in the future!

ReputationRep:
    wows that's amazing! *jealous* Do you have any tips on essay structure and writing? or How do you formulate your answers? specifically for the 33 markerss. Even though I may know information there's the case that I suck at applying the info?

I answered the how I formulated my answers in another reply on this thread, but to answer the "applying the info", I guess just make sure you write something that makes it seem like it's related, if you're really stuck for instance.
    "The x perspective argues against this and states .... this is supported by various evidence including .... "

I'm not really sure how to help, but what helped me was mind mapping ideas! so for every question that could come up i made mind maps - I added colour coded for perspective, fed off that bubble and put research that could be used. So when I was in the exam and a question came up, I knew which thing went where for which perspective/idea. Practice mock essays if you can, and get your teacher to mark it. I have some model answers of that website for Crime - sociologymofo.tumblr.com - and I have some attachments for model answers for Beliefs if you want some examples of essays.

Anything else? I'm really happy to help, if your finding this helpful at all haha!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but the links dont work. They appear to be 'broken'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienceboy16)
    Sorry, but the links dont work. They appear to be 'broken'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the attachments or the links to the website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_say)
    the attachments or the links to the website?
    The attachments

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienceboy16)
    The attachments

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, they're working for me (on my partners laptop) I have the latest version of Word so it might be that? I'm not too sure.. sorry! :/ I don't know what to do

I don't know if they're working for other people ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_say)
    I answered the how I formulated my answers in another reply on this thread, but to answer the "applying the info", I guess just make sure you write something that makes it seem like it's related, if you're really stuck for instance.
    "The x perspective argues against this and states .... this is supported by various evidence including .... "

I'm not really sure how to help, but what helped me was mind mapping ideas! so for every question that could come up i made mind maps - I added colour coded for perspective, fed off that bubble and put research that could be used. So when I was in the exam and a question came up, I knew which thing went where for which perspective/idea. Practice mock essays if you can, and get your teacher to mark it. I have some model answers of that website for Crime - sociologymofo.tumblr.com - and I have some attachments for model answers for Beliefs if you want some examples of essays.

Anything else? I'm really happy to help, if your finding this helpful at all haha!
    Thank you soon much, your advice is really helpful! I've started to do minmaps of possible essays. Another q, how long was yours in terms of pages (with handwriting size taken into account ) I tend to rely on quantity just writing loads of pages hoping it'll get me an A. But I don't think I'll have the time to do this as in my mock I couldn't start the 33 marker.. Ran out of time

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soon much, your advice is really helpful! I've started to do minmaps of possible essays. Another q, how long was yours in terms of pages (with handwriting size taken into account ) I tend to rely on quantity just writing loads of pages hoping it'll get me an A. But I don't think I'll have the time to do this as in my mock I couldn't start the 33 marker.. Ran out of time
    My exam or my revision?

I'm a really fast writer so I finished early, I think I wrote 7 pages? I really can't remember. Also, my handwriting is tiny.
    I know for the crime, the 21 marker was around 15 - 20 mins
    for the 15, I spent around 10 -15 mins
    I spent the rest on the 33 marker

for religion, I spent around 7 mins for the 9 marker
    and 18 marks - 15 - 20 mins
    the rest for the 33 marker

But like I said, I'm a really fast writer. but, spend the most time on the 33 marker.

Don't rely on quantity, quality is much better as the marker doesn't want to read 10+ pages of repeated/genetic answers. Make sure you know research/studies and background info if you can! (statistics, new going on now etc)

Make sure you plan your time, practice essays if you can, you'll find out where you're going wrong and being able to plan your time. It's also good revision.

Try to aim for 6-8 pages of good quality answers.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do you have any model answers for crime and deviance? I'm struggling with the 33 markers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm Lauren! I am needing some help/guidance on Beliefs in Society, Unit 3 in A2 Sociology, more specifically Science and ideology. I am wanting to fully understand the points behind science in this topic in order to feel confident in a 33 mark essay question. From my findings, I have found some main points to include but I would like other peoples opinion on whether I am on the right lines and some thoughts and ideas on other stuff to include. I have briefly explained the point I would bring up in an essay below-

Question: Essay the usefulness of science is the main ideological influence in society today.

Introduction: Weber argues we're in a period of disenchantment which started with the protestant reformation in the 16th century. Science has grown in society as it has allowed humans to explain, predict and control the world unlike no other belief system. People in society require legitimate knowledge and a universe of meaning. This has allowed science to thrive in these recent centuries.

Science as an open belief system- In this point, include Popper who argues science is governed by falsification and is open to criticism. Help understand and improve lives. Back this up by Sir Isaac Newton's quote "If I have been able to see further it was only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants". Then to criticise this point for AO2 marks, science has been negative to the world as it has bought upon danger knowledge like nuclear weapons. Other beliefs benefit people in ways science can't, for example Malinowski argues how religion helps people cope with life changing events like death. Science doesn't have the capability of this suggesting it doesn't influence all areas of society.

Science is socially constructed. So bring in Merton- science can only thrive if scientists follow the CUDOS norms and if it receives support from other institutions in society. Back that up with Kuhn point of paradigm. Then for a criticism for this point, bring in Polanyi who argues all belief systems reject challenges to their claims and science is no different so is a closed belief system. Furthermore, not all societies have access to scientific knowledge which supports the view that science is socially constructed so not the main ideology in society today.

Science in late modern and postmodern society. Mention Gidden's who argues science brings about uncertainly as theories can be reversed and discarded. Science is negative as it brings about danger and risk like the nuclear accident in Chernobyl. Criticise this with Gidden's again himself, which argues that the negative view of science is often balances by the positive view of science i.e. creating medicines and increasing life expectancy. A further evaluation point of Evan's Pritchard's study which shows science isn't always negative as it helps 'clear the air' in witchcraft communities. This element of uncertainty attached to science can allow people to opt out of the belief suggesting it isn't the main ideology.

Science and globalisation as produced risk. Globalisation has allowed in interchange on information, including science throughout different societies. Giving science a great opportunity to thrive and become the main ideological influence. However, Beck argues in late modern society, the risk is magnified by globalisation as people can connect and communicate. This educates people on scientists who have disagreement on theories which damages the credibility of scientific knowledge and research. For example- Charles Darwin's theory of evolution was criticised and rejected by many scientists leaving confusion and risk of knowledge being wrong. An evaluation point to bring in is Knorr-Cetina who outwardly argues that scientific study is highly constructed and far from the natural world so doesn't provide absolute truth. These points provide reasons why science may not be the main ideology in society.

Science in postmodern society. Lyotard argues that people have lost faith in metanarratives as they no longer inspire them. Widespread disillusion in science have allowed people to loose faith in claims. For example, theories of the afterlife have been rejected by science which people are disappointed in and don't want to believe it. Woolgar argues that scientists are just trying to make sense of the world, like everyone else. However, regardless of that point Frazer argues that scientific knowledge will slowly cause religion to disappear and be replaced by solid scientific knowledge.

In the conclusion, quickly bring in Marxists and feminists who argue science is only used to serve ruling groups i.e. biological ideas are used to justify male dominance. Also how according to Lyotard, science is becoming 'technoscience' as it is focusing on producing electronic goods and no longer logic and explanation of the world. Allowing it to have a less of an influence of beliefs in society newer days. The points raised above make it difficult to see whether science is the main ideology in society today. statistics show a decline in religion but not necessary an increase in scientific believes. This allows me to conclude that science differently has an influence on society newer days but not the main influence.

Thank you! Hope this all makes sense. I am open to any criticism so please be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_say)

Thank you! This is very useful. Also I was wondering for the crime and deviance bit..idk if I just haven't seen it but do you have any revision for a theory in general like for e.g. marxists view of society in general. You know the 33 marker that comes on the end of crime and deviance paper?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2016

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.