Graduate scheme offer, awaiting a decision from another

Watch this thread
fireice7
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#1
I've received an offer for a graduate scheme, lets call it company A and I'm awaiting the result from the final stage of the application process for another company, lets say company B. I know that the result for this will come next week because they have a fixed schedule for the application process.

Now, I have no idea if I will be offered a place at company B but company A want a decision this week. If I don't get an offer from company B, I would definitely accept company A but I'm not sure which I would go for if I get both.

I was wondering how best to go about this? Should I accept company A and worry if I get an offer from B later or should I try to ask for a bit more time to make a decision or should I do something else?
0
reply
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#2
Report 8 years ago
#2
(Original post by fireice7)
I've received an offer for a graduate scheme, lets call it company A and I'm awaiting the result from the final stage of the application process for another company, lets say company B. I know that the result for this will come next week because they have a fixed schedule for the application process.

Now, I have no idea if I will be offered a place at company B but company A want a decision this week. If I don't get an offer from company B, I would definitely accept company A but I'm not sure which I would go for if I get both.

I was wondering how best to go about this? Should I accept company A and worry if I get an offer from B later or should I try to ask for a bit more time to make a decision or should I do something else?
If you accept the offer from company A, that's it. You can't accept any other offers as you've entered into a verbal contract with company A. You could ask for more time to decide, you have nothing to lose from asking.
Which do you prefer? If you'd happily do the role at company A then just take that one.
0
reply
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#3
Report 8 years ago
#3
(Original post by fireice7)
I've received an offer for a graduate scheme, lets call it company A and I'm awaiting the result from the final stage of the application process for another company, lets say company B. I know that the result for this will come next week because they have a fixed schedule for the application process.

Now, I have no idea if I will be offered a place at company B but company A want a decision this week. If I don't get an offer from company B, I would definitely accept company A but I'm not sure which I would go for if I get both.

I was wondering how best to go about this? Should I accept company A and worry if I get an offer from B later or should I try to ask for a bit more time to make a decision or should I do something else?
If it's a graduate scheme the position likely won't start until the summer or autumn, so you could easily accept company A's offer then, upon (hopefully!) receiving company B's offer, hand in your notice to company A.
1
reply
P-K
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#4
Report 8 years ago
#4
But if you decide on Company A anyway then you won't have any problem. What is stopping you from making this decision now?
0
reply
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#5
Report 8 years ago
#5
(Original post by Shelly_x)
If you accept the offer from company A, that's it. You can't accept any other offers as you've entered into a verbal contract with company A. You could ask for more time to decide, you have nothing to lose from asking.
Which do you prefer? If you'd happily do the role at company A then just take that one.
I didn't think verbal agreements were binding in any way?

I mean, they don't have any legal basis, unlike a contract which is a legal document. I think, as long as the OP hasn't signed a contract committing to either company, he/she is free to choose.
0
reply
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#6
Report 8 years ago
#6
(Original post by FDR)
I didn't think verbal agreements were binding in any way?

I mean, they don't have any legal basis, unlike a contract which is a legal document. I think, as long as the OP hasn't signed a contract committing to either company, he/she is free to choose.
No, but you can be blacklisted from certain companies for backing out of a verbal contract.
0
reply
fireice7
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#7
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#7
(Original post by P-K)
But if you decide on Company A anyway then you won't have any problem. What is stopping you from making this decision now?
What's stopping me, is that I know will receive the outcome to my application with company "B", next week.

(Original post by FDR)
I didn't think verbal agreements were binding in any way?

I mean, they don't have any legal basis, unlike a contract which is a legal document. I think, as long as the OP hasn't signed a contract committing to either company, he/she is free to choose.

(Original post by Shelly_x)
No, but you can be blacklisted from certain companies for backing out of a verbal contract.
This is what I was thinking about. How binding is accepting an offer compared to signing an employment contract? I feel that that the best course of action is to accept the offer on the table and then worry if (and it's a big if) get another offer next week but the blacklisting has worried me.
0
reply
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#8
Report 8 years ago
#8
(Original post by fireice7)
What's stopping me, is that I know will receive the outcome to my application with company "B", next week.






This is what I was thinking about. How binding is accepting an offer compared to signing an employment contract? I feel that that the best course of action is to accept the offer on the table and then worry if (and it's a big if) get another offer next week but the blacklisting has worried me.
Verbally accepting an offer is not binding whatsoever. It has no basis in law, and HR departments know that.

Let's say you verbally accept an offer from A, but haven't received the contract yet, but then get an offer from B. You're perfectly entitled to ring up A and tell them that you've changed your mind. They might be annoyed, but they won't blacklist you, and you won't have done anything wrong. If you signed a contract then reneged, you could be in trouble.
0
reply
fireice7
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#9
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#9
(Original post by FDR)
Verbally accepting an offer is not binding whatsoever. It has no basis in law, and HR departments know that.

Let's say you verbally accept an offer from A, but haven't received the contract yet, but then get an offer from B. You're perfectly entitled to ring up A and tell them that you've changed your mind. They might be annoyed, but they won't blacklist you, and you won't have done anything wrong. If you signed a contract then reneged, you could be in trouble.
What about written correspondence ie an email reply? (Not a contract)

Would the same principles apply?
0
reply
alibee
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#10
Report 8 years ago
#10
(Original post by fireice7)
This is what I was thinking about. How binding is accepting an offer compared to signing an employment contract? I feel that that the best course of action is to accept the offer on the table and then worry if (and it's a big if) get another offer next week but the blacklisting has worried me.
Why are you worried?

I would think that if you verbally accept an offer and then back out of it, your chances of being employed by that company in the future are close to zero. Why would they waste their time on you in the future knowing that you're an unreliable candidate?

The main question you should be asking yourself is whether you would ever want to work for them in the future. Presumably if the company was so appealing to you, you'd be accepting this position now.
0
reply
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#11
Report 8 years ago
#11
(Original post by fireice7)
What about written correspondence ie an email reply? (Not a contract)

Would the same principles apply?
I'd argue that in case, the same principles do apply, however having written your acceptance, backing out may be more awkward.

It also depends on what information has been sent to you; for example, if they sent you a contract or document by email outlining your employment conditions (pay, holiday, benefits, working hours, start date etc), then replying and accepting is probably closer in terms of principles to accepting a contract.

If they haven't sent you that info to you, then you've got more grounds to back out, as you could say that upon reading the contract, you were unhappy with something. For example, lets say you accept A's offer by email, they then send you the contract a week later, and you've then got an offer from B, you could call A and say that after reading the contract, you decided you couldn't accept it because (for example) the pay is lower than you expected.

Obviously if you can, avoid making any commitment which you may have to back out of, but you'll be in a lot less trouble backing out of a verbal agreement than a legally binding contract.
1
reply
alibee
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#12
Report 8 years ago
#12
Practically speaking, even if you signed the contract, you'd have plenty of time between now and September to give your notice. It makes very little difference.

At the end of the day, if you tell them you don't want to work there, they're not going to try and use the law to force you to because, even if they were somehow successful, you'd hardly be the star employee.
1
reply
Pipsico
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#13
Report 8 years ago
#13
I actually got offered a grad role because the original grad they chose backed out after a month (still 6 months before starting)

They ran another assessment centre and I got offered the place. It happens all the time, just hold onto the contract as long as you can before signing.


Posted from TSR Mobile
1
reply
fireice7
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#14
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#14
Hmmmm, lots to think about, thanks for all the replies!
0
reply
tomorrowtomorrow
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#15
Report 8 years ago
#15
(Original post by fireice7)
Hmmmm, lots to think about, thanks for all the replies!
All this talk of blacklisting. You may get blacklisted for reneging on a verbal agreement to take the job... I definitely wouldn't say it's certain as it completely depends on the company. If you are, big deal. It's one company. I mean who applies to the same company twice anyway?
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads

View All