The Student Room Group

In a Real Pickle, Need Advice - Desperate!

Firstly, please read this whole thing. I know it's long, but I wanna give the full story. How to start this...
I've been an absolute fool this year. I postponed my Advanced Higher Physics investigation until the last minute. However, I managed to do all the experiments and write it up.
But... one of my experiments wasn't working. I panicked, and came up with a stupid, stupid plan - to hand in a first draft to my teacher with faked results as a placeholder, so I could get commentary on layout/methodology/uncertainties, and then to run as many results as I could before the Easter break and plug them into the investigation write-up over the holiday.
Unfortunately, the teacher realised they were faked. I tried to explain that they were only a placeholder, but he shouted over the top of me and wouldn't let me even attempt to explain. It was a stupid idea, but I was panicking and I'd barely slept in a week.
I just received a letter from this teacher saying that I will still be able to submit my investigation and sit the exam, but that my SQA certificate will show "incomplete course" due to my daybook/investigation apparently not being high-quality enough.
Thing is, this teacher hasn't fully read my investigation (which is marked by the SQA anyway, not him) and hasn't even seen my daybook yet. He's saying he's going to fail me completely regardless of what I hand in after Easter, and there's nothing I can do.
I can't even attempt to persuade him to give me a chance - he's verbally expressed, both privately and in class in front of other pupils, that he "hates" me (yeah, quote.) He told my parents that he wished I would do worse in my exams. I once spent six months asking him for a replacement jotter once a week, and he refused every time, telling me to go home and look for my old one - then told my parents I'd lost my jotter and never bothered to replace it. He loathes me, and now I've been a fool and placed the ball in his court. I said at the beginning of this year, to my friends, that he would find a way to screw me over, and being a complete moron I faked those results as a placeholder and handed him a way to do it. Note: I usually get on with my teachers and am friends with several, so this isn't me saying the teacher hates me because he's a teacher. This guy genuinely despises me. He has a right to be angry at me, I accept that, but he's using this as an opportunity to be vindictive and ensure I don't get a grade for Physics, as he's pretty much said he's wanted to happen to me for years.
And it's not just me. He's also refused to mark my friend's (who he's expressed similar dislike for) investigation at all, saying he's too busy on the same day he accepted first drafts from others, meaning my friend will be submitting a first draft with no teacher input.

Anyway. Not getting the grade wouldn't be the end of the world - I have a single unconditional offer, to Edinburgh, my home city - but I desperately, desperately want to go to Imperial College London, and they require an A. My plan is to email Imperial and ask whether, assuming I achieve an A-worthy percentage in the investigation and exam, I'd be allowed to go there anyway, regardless of getting "incomplete course" because of the damn daybook. But that's kinda all I can do and if they say no... well, I'm effed.
I guess I'm partially venting, here, and partially asking if anybody has any other ideas about what I can do. Hell, I've been a goddamn idiot, I know that, but I've learned from my mistakes after this honestly terrifying affair, and I don't reckon I deserve to have my future badly damaged for it. Sigh.
OH MY GOODNESS.

explain to your teacher, or maybe even your year head if you don't think you'll be able to get through to your teacher, that you need it to get to your desired university. Explain, if you can, to your teacher, why you faked the results. Maybe try complimenting him on his teaching skills or something??

It sounds completely ridiculous to be honest. (not on your part, on the teacher's).

PS, did you include a list of tables, graphs and illustrations in your investigation? did you do it immediately after the contents? It's just confusing, because were else would it go? Yet it says that you need to have your summary immediately after your contents page.
Thanks. I hope you get it sorted.
PPS,

What if your teacher actually loves you and wants you to do well?
like Snape in Harry Potter.
Take it up with the head of your science department or head of your school and explain your situation. If there was anyone else in the classroom at the same time as you ask them to vouch for you to be sure that you aren't made out to be a liar, if none of these options work try emailing SQA and ask their opinion. Also you could write an evaluation of your faked results so they don't look as fake and if the teacher goes hold on you didn't show me this say that you tried to explain but he quite rudely wouldnt let you
Reply 4
Bring you're parents into school, teachers tend to fear them
Reply 5
Original post by jadoreétudier
OH MY GOODNESS.

explain to your teacher, or maybe even your year head if you don't think you'll be able to get through to your teacher, that you need it to get to your desired university. Explain, if you can, to your teacher, why you faked the results. Maybe try complimenting him on his teaching skills or something??

It sounds completely ridiculous to be honest. (not on your part, on the teacher's).

PS, did you include a list of tables, graphs and illustrations in your investigation? did you do it immediately after the contents? It's just confusing, because were else would it go? Yet it says that you need to have your summary immediately after your contents page.
Thanks. I hope you get it sorted.

I tried explaining to the teacher; he wouldn't listen to a word I had to say. As in, every time I opened my mouth, he'd interrupt with "I'm not interested". I'm going to try to get a meeting with both him and my guidance teacher - in front of her, he'll have to listen to me. Problem is, he's the Head of Science at my school.

My investigation is fine, and is being submitted. The deadline hasn't even passed yet. He's just claiming it's of "insufficient quality" despite that fact, and despite barely having seen it, and having not seen the daybook at all.

Original post by jadoreétudier
PPS,

What if your teacher actually loves you and wants you to do well?
like Snape in Harry Potter.

Yeah, I thought that when he first confronted me over it, even though he intentionally tried to humiliate me in front of my friends about it - that he was trying to teach me a lesson, and that he was protecting me by (in his head, not knowing they were placeholder results) stopping me handing in obviously faked results. But when he sent that letter (and, of course, sent it secretly right before Easter, so I'd have no opportunity to do anything about it for the next two weeks), that idea was turned on its head - he's failing me off of the course, that's not helping me do well, that's going out of his way to ensure I don't.

Original post by caitlindavids0n
Take it up with the head of your science department or head of your school and explain your situation. If there was anyone else in the classroom at the same time as you ask them to vouch for you to be sure that you aren't made out to be a liar, if none of these options work try emailing SQA and ask their opinion. Also you could write an evaluation of your faked results so they don't look as fake and if the teacher goes hold on you didn't show me this say that you tried to explain but he quite rudely wouldnt let you

The teacher is the head of the science department, and the head of the school is best buddies with him and... let's say would not take my side, having had an issue with me since a disagreement between us back in S2 or S3 (I left my school trousers down south when visiting my dying grandfather, tried to explain why I was wearing black jeans, he gave me detention anyway and said he'd "heard it all before", which I was sorta not okay with.)
I'm scared of asking the SQA because, in the end, I did fake results, even though it was only my first draft and wasn't submitted to the SQA themselves, and if they decided to be awful about it they could take away all of my qualifications for this year on the basis of faking results etc.
And unfortunately they're very obviously fake results - they're ridiculously accurate, virtually perfect - which, you'd think, would work in my favour because I wouldn't be stupid enough to actually try passing them off as my own. So I can't explain them off that way.
You can see why I feel sorta trapped in the situation.

Original post by scotland101
Bring you're parents into school, teachers tend to fear them

Yeah, think me and my mother are going to try to get an appointment with him and my guidance teacher, see if we can talk some sense into him or something. Problem is, policy at my school is to allow things like this to be decided by the department, and he's the head of the science department. All the power falls to him, really.

Thanks very much for the responses and moral support, guys. Honestly helps a lot right now!
(edited 10 years ago)
This might be a tad naive of me to ask but, why did you admit to them being faked? Its not like they can prove it...
Original post by AmisThysia
Firstly, please read this whole thing. I know it's long, but I wanna give the full story. How to start this...
I've been an absolute fool this year. I postponed my Advanced Higher Physics investigation until the last minute. However, I managed to do all the experiments and write it up.
But... one of my experiments wasn't working. I panicked, and came up with a stupid, stupid plan - to hand in a first draft to my teacher with faked results as a placeholder, so I could get commentary on layout/methodology/uncertainties, and then to run as many results as I could before the Easter break and plug them into the investigation write-up over the holiday.
Unfortunately, the teacher realised they were faked. I tried to explain that they were only a placeholder, but he shouted over the top of me and wouldn't let me even attempt to explain. It was a stupid idea, but I was panicking and I'd barely slept in a week.
I just received a letter from this teacher saying that I will still be able to submit my investigation and sit the exam, but that my SQA certificate will show "incomplete course" due to my daybook/investigation apparently not being high-quality enough.
Thing is, this teacher hasn't fully read my investigation (which is marked by the SQA anyway, not him) and hasn't even seen my daybook yet. He's saying he's going to fail me completely regardless of what I hand in after Easter, and there's nothing I can do.
I can't even attempt to persuade him to give me a chance - he's verbally expressed, both privately and in class in front of other pupils, that he "hates" me (yeah, quote.) He told my parents that he wished I would do worse in my exams. I once spent six months asking him for a replacement jotter once a week, and he refused every time, telling me to go home and look for my old one - then told my parents I'd lost my jotter and never bothered to replace it. He loathes me, and now I've been a fool and placed the ball in his court. I said at the beginning of this year, to my friends, that he would find a way to screw me over, and being a complete moron I faked those results as a placeholder and handed him a way to do it. Note: I usually get on with my teachers and am friends with several, so this isn't me saying the teacher hates me because he's a teacher. This guy genuinely despises me. He has a right to be angry at me, I accept that, but he's using this as an opportunity to be vindictive and ensure I don't get a grade for Physics, as he's pretty much said he's wanted to happen to me for years.
And it's not just me. He's also refused to mark my friend's (who he's expressed similar dislike for) investigation at all, saying he's too busy on the same day he accepted first drafts from others, meaning my friend will be submitting a first draft with no teacher input.

Anyway. Not getting the grade wouldn't be the end of the world - I have a single unconditional offer, to Edinburgh, my home city - but I desperately, desperately want to go to Imperial College London, and they require an A. My plan is to email Imperial and ask whether, assuming I achieve an A-worthy percentage in the investigation and exam, I'd be allowed to go there anyway, regardless of getting "incomplete course" because of the damn daybook. But that's kinda all I can do and if they say no... well, I'm effed.
I guess I'm partially venting, here, and partially asking if anybody has any other ideas about what I can do. Hell, I've been a goddamn idiot, I know that, but I've learned from my mistakes after this honestly terrifying affair, and I don't reckon I deserve to have my future badly damaged for it. Sigh.

I don't know if this is standard across Scotland, but in my school the lab records were always cross marked with another AH Science teacher. So, I'd ask him to get it cross marked. If he says no, then go to your year head and say that you've been told that you've failed your investigation part of the course (basically your nab) and you want to be able to get it remarked because you passing or failing affects you going to uni (mention this, they want people to go to good unis because it makes the school look good.) Also, the lab books are effectively a nab. So, I'm pretty sure you're at the least entitled one resit.

Also, because he'd likely be the person to mark the 'resit' I'd ask if another teacher can do it, because "while it does sound childish I feel like he's discriminating against me"

Also, because you've admitted to faking your results, in your argument to the year head you should say that you did fake your results, but NOT in your lab script, and the results that you gave in your first draft of the report were placeholders for your actual results so you could go on and write the next parts of the report which depended on results. Make sure to him that you STRESS that those results were placeholders, and that they're not in your lab book. Perhaps mentioning that he's failing you without actually looking at the lab book would be a plan too.
Reply 8
Original post by Pennyarcade
This might be a tad naive of me to ask but, why did you admit to them being faked? Its not like they can prove it...

They were very obviously faked, since I wasn't planning to actually submit them. I was calculating the permeability of free space, which is about 1.25x10^-6 H/m. No way I could have gotten it perfect with the equipment we had.

Original post by TheFOMaster
I don't know if this is standard across Scotland, but in my school the lab records were always cross marked with another AH Science teacher. So, I'd ask him to get it cross marked. If he says no, then go to your year head and say that you've been told that you've failed your investigation part of the course (basically your nab) and you want to be able to get it remarked because you passing or failing affects you going to uni (mention this, they want people to go to good unis because it makes the school look good.) Also, the lab books are effectively a nab. So, I'm pretty sure you're at the least entitled one resit.

Also, because he'd likely be the person to mark the 'resit' I'd ask if another teacher can do it, because "while it does sound childish I feel like he's discriminating against me"

Also, because you've admitted to faking your results, in your argument to the year head you should say that you did fake your results, but NOT in your lab script, and the results that you gave in your first draft of the report were placeholders for your actual results so you could go on and write the next parts of the report which depended on results. Make sure to him that you STRESS that those results were placeholders, and that they're not in your lab book. Perhaps mentioning that he's failing you without actually looking at the lab book would be a plan too.

That's not standard, no - none of my other teachers know anything about investigations, and admit so when you ask them about it. He's the only teacher in the school who even knows how to do uncertainties at Advanced Higher level, and they make up something like 25% of your mark. I could ask, however - the lab book will be marked on pass/fail criteria that any teacher could mark based upon...
And my school are obsessed with statistics, so that might work in my favour too. Good idea. It'd look good on their record for me to go to Imperial.

That's exactly the thing - the fake placeholder results are not in any piece of work being submitted for marking by the SQA on a pass/fail basis.

I think it will absolutely hinge on the fact that he's failing me without having seen what I have written - failing me on coursework that's not even been submitted! If I can say that, and ask for a different teacher to be able to mark my lab book using the SQA criteria, then I might have a chance.

This is excellent advice - thank you!
Original post by AmisThysia

That's not standard, no - none of my other teachers know anything about investigations, and admit so when you ask them about it. He's the only teacher in the school who even knows how to do uncertainties at Advanced Higher level, and they make up something like 25% of your mark. I could ask, however - the lab book will be marked on pass/fail criteria that any teacher could mark based upon...
And my school are obsessed with statistics, so that might work in my favour too. Good idea. It'd look good on their record for me to go to Imperial.

That's exactly the thing - the fake placeholder results are not in any piece of work being submitted for marking by the SQA on a pass/fail basis.

I think it will absolutely hinge on the fact that he's failing me without having seen what I have written - failing me on coursework that's not even been submitted! If I can say that, and ask for a different teacher to be able to mark my lab book using the SQA criteria, then I might have a chance.

This is excellent advice - thank you!

Let us know how it all works out. If you're looking for another teacher to mark it, I'd probably look at your schools AH Chemistry teacher, because they'll probably be the next best marker for you. And the AH Chemistry investigation can have some uncertainties in it too, so they'll have a basic understanding of them. Although, theres no guarantee they'll actually mark it. I wouldn't stress TOO much though, you have a very good case. Plus your teachers being highly unprofessional, and you have proof of this (classmates).
He sounds awful! But just out of curiosity, what course are you applying for at uni?
Reply 11
Original post by TheFOMaster
Let us know how it all works out. If you're looking for another teacher to mark it, I'd probably look at your schools AH Chemistry teacher, because they'll probably be the next best marker for you. And the AH Chemistry investigation can have some uncertainties in it too, so they'll have a basic understanding of them. Although, theres no guarantee they'll actually mark it. I wouldn't stress TOO much though, you have a very good case. Plus your teachers being highly unprofessional, and you have proof of this (classmates).

It's pretty difficult not to stress, but I shall just focus on my revision! And I really don't want to drag my classmates into this. He's already bordered on intentionally hindering one of them, and I don't wanna put any others in danger. It's not really fair to ask them to get involved against a teacher.
Thank you! I'll certainly post in this thread with the outcome.

Original post by Rachael Lamb
He sounds awful! But just out of curiosity, what course are you applying for at uni?

Either Maths and Physics, or Physics with Theoretical Physics, depending on the uni. So yeah, my Physics grade this year is pretty important! xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending