The Student Room Group

Would I get into A-Level Physics if I didn't take Additional Science @ GCSE but...

Entrance Requirements for physics are : BB (Core & Additional) or >, and B in Maths or >.

I didn't do Additional but got a B at Core Science and an A* at Maths.

Do you think they'll allow me to do the course?

All my other GCSE reflect high grade potentiality like English Language and English Literature (A at Both)
Reply 1
Nobody on here can say; it's an internal issue to be dealt with by the school or college. If you did get an A* in maths and bought the revision guide for Additional Science and studied it over the Summer without taking the exams, they might let you. You need to phone whoever is in charge of the A-Level admissions and ask them.

You need to ask the name of who you speak to, write down all the details of the conversation, and the date and time of when you phone, in case in the future they try to go back on what they've said.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It depends on the individual college. Mine wouldn't let me do physics even though I got an A* in core science and A in double - all because I got a C in maths -.-

I just kinda accepted it and didn't put up a fight. However, my friend got into computing without meeting the entry requirements whatsoever because he convinced everyone that he loved it that much + has lots of experience.

You'll have to ask the admissions team of the college in question and sound passionate about it. In the end they're only making it easier for you. I was told that if I didn't meet the grades I'd struggle more than others but if your hearts set on it you'll have to convince them :tongue:
Reply 3
To be honest, the requirements are there because many things you learn in additional science crop up in a level, as do some aspects of the triple course. I am taking physics this year and I have found it really hard because I didn't do triple and most of the class did. As the others have said, if you agreed to read up on the additional course in your free time they may make an exception but you would have to ask your science teacher. If you do decide to go for it, remember physics is difficult and that you may well start out behind.
Reply 4
Original post by aliendays
It depends on the individual college. Mine wouldn't let me do physics even though I got an A* in core science and A in double - all because I got a C in maths -.-

I just kinda accepted it and didn't put up a fight. However, my friend got into computing without meeting the entry requirements whatsoever because he convinced everyone that he loved it that much + has lots of experience.

You'll have to ask the admissions team of the college in question and sound passionate about it. In the end they're only making it easier for you. I was told that if I didn't meet the grades I'd struggle more than others but if your hearts set on it you'll have to convince them :tongue:

Yeah, what did the guy get who did computing?

And my problem is I didn't take the course (additional), so I don't know whether they see it the same way.

Obviously, they'll question me why I didn't do it...
Reply 5
Original post by DestinySky
To be honest, the requirements are there because many things you learn in additional science crop up in a level, as do some aspects of the triple course. I am taking physics this year and I have found it really hard because I didn't do triple and most of the class did. As the others have said, if you agreed to read up on the additional course in your free time they may make an exception but you would have to ask your science teacher. If you do decide to go for it, remember physics is difficult and that you may well start out behind.

Yeah, thanks mate. Alongside, I'm doing double maths ( hence A*), would that help me?
Reply 6
Maths is definitely a really useful thing to have as there is a large unit in the course that is pretty much purely maths, it is also good that you are confident re-arranging and putting things in standard form because these feature heavily in all areas. However don't go into physics relying solely on the fact that you are good at maths, in some of the areas, in particular quantum physics and waves you also have to understand the concepts and be able to explain what's going on, people associate maths with physics and often overlook this aspect, which is often the most challenging part. When making your choice I would bear the written aspect in mind and perhaps look at a past paper or two and see if this is something you are happy to do.

Quick Reply

Latest