The Student Room Group

How do I use SPss???

I need to use spss but i have no clue what i AM DOING.
From what I know there are 100 participants who took part in two happiness questionnaires. One group was happy and the other group was unhappy and I am meant to analyse the results and say who is more agreeable in terms of personality.
Original post by vanessap
I need to use spss but i have no clue what i AM DOING.
From what I know there are 100 participants who took part in two happiness questionnaires. One group was happy and the other group was unhappy and I am meant to analyse the results and say who is more agreeable in terms of personality.

Buy andy field's textbook http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering-Statistics-using-IBM-SPSS/dp/1446249182/ref=sr_1_1/280-6236650-4952739?ie=UTF8&qid=1397041208&sr=8-1&keywords=discovering+statistics (or get it from your library).

Look up "comparing two means" and the "beast of bias" chapter and it will explain everything. If your data is normally distributed you will want to use a t-test, if not then a non-parametric test will have to be used.
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
Buy andy field's textbook http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering-Statistics-using-IBM-SPSS/dp/1446249182/ref=sr_1_1/280-6236650-4952739?ie=UTF8&qid=1397041208&sr=8-1&keywords=discovering+statistics (or get it from your library).

Look up "comparing two means" and the "beast of bias" chapter and it will explain everything. If your data is normally distributed you will want to use a t-test, if not then a non-parametric test will have to be used.

thank you. Okay so I used a t test and I thing theres aproblem with my results because the group with the higher mean has a smaller sd than the group with the lower mean
Reply 3
Original post by iammichealjackson

I got the book and it doesnt really help. I have done my t test and worked out the mean and sd .
also there is no beast of bias chapter?
(edited 10 years ago)
thank you. Okay so I used a t test and I thing theres aproblem with my results because the group with the higher mean has a smaller sd than the group with the lower mean

Hey. It depends which edition you are using. IF the groups have unequal variances then you can use the Unqual variances t-test (which is reported in SPSS underneath the standard t-test). Your variables have to be normal to use both.

I got the book and it doesnt really help. I have done my t test and worked out the mean and sd .
also there is no beast of bias chapter?

Firstly, Andy Field's textbook is amazing, please don't diss it or It will make me upset. I know that textbook has all the info you need because ive been using it constantly for the past 3 weeks! So you really need to look harder (there will be a chapter or section about assumptions of statistical tests somewhere).

Are the variances (SDs) unequal? Firstly, its worth looking at how much they are unequal by, and if its significant. You would have got the output for levene's test when doing the t-test (which tests the hypotheses that the variances are unequal?).

The unequal variance t-test is reported so you can use that if the variances are very unequal (so i don't see what the problem is).
Reply 6
I would use a MANOVA, which allows for the analysis of multiple DVs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending