I hope you make a full recovery.
thanks my "deep psychological problems" are fading fast
Loki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
With respect, your opinion that the whole argument against euthanasia is based on considering death to be worst than suffering is very limited.

We really need to get away from seeing things in such simple, uncomplicated terms and explore the repercussions of what is being proposed i.e. the killing of someone because they want to be killed.

Do you remember the recent case in the news of the man in Germany who practiced cannibalism - he ate the bodies of those who said they had a desire to be eaten! Why should we have all that we desire? We are not in isolation - we live in communities - and everything we do has an effect on that community. But that is bringing the discussion into an expanded realm!
It probably is limited, but I make a point of not trying to delve too deep into things without questioning what the whole thing is firmly based in.If the whole of society saw death as this wonderful and positive step then this debate wouldn't exist.

In fairness to the bloke in Germany, I agree partially with some of it.Obviously not the whole eating people and suffering thing but I can see why.Firstly,he had consent.Secondly,he believed that eating someone was a spiritual experience that would allow him to take on some of the traits that the 'victim'(for lack of a better word.Volunteer perhaps?) had.In that respect,I find it hard to condemn it as it would suggest that I believed my morals and my beliefs to be right and better than his.And they're not.The idea behind death is completely a personal thing.However, I think what counted against him in court was the idea of suffering and that he had been kept alive and made to suffer.Death does not equate to suffering and thus the 'victim' was made to suffer against his will.That I disagree and can condemn easily.

If you really wish to debate the repurcussions of such a thing, surely you could argue that the effect of death on family and relatives can be seen as negative and a reason not to support euthanasia.
drago di giada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
After councelling death will definately be what they want. I wouldn't want some interfering bloody social worker pestering me on my death bed.
lol, yes, and thats assuming that you CAN be spoken to.. if you are a vegitable.. then how are they going to talk to you?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
lol, yes, and thats assuming that you CAN be spoken to.. if you are a vegitable.. then how are they going to talk to you?
The fact that you refer to a fellow human being as a vegetable illustrates your disdain for human life.

Did you know that the last sense to pack up before death is hearing? Even if this vulnerable person was unable to talk they can hear. The caring profession always speak to a person as though they were awake, even if they are in a coma.

Incidentally, it was reported a few months ago that someone who was in a coma awoke after 18 years. So where there is life there is hope.

However, I do not believe in taking heroic measures to revive a person who is clinically dead unless there is evidence to the contrary that this is desirable.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't know if any participant of this thread studies law but I've heard of some euthanasia cases:

try Airedale NHS Trust v Bland (1993)
DPP v Preddy

I think in those situations you could argue to use it...
m00se
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
it was reported a few months ago that someone who was in a coma awoke after 18 years
What I found coolest was his first words on waking, after being asked how he was feeling...

"Horny"

The man's witty...
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by m00se)
What I found coolest was his first words on waking, after being asked how he was feeling...

"Horny"

The man's witty...

No m00se - not "horny", he said "hungry"!
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
No m00se - not "horny", he said "hungry"!
lol, you come up with some really good remarks.. I have to admit that.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
lol, you come up with some really good remarks.. I have to admit that.

Thanks pal

Where have you been recently - haven't come across any of your posts in the last few days?
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Thanks pal

Where have you been recently - haven't come across any of your posts in the last few days?
yeah sorry about that, I had a few things to do.. been really busy.(yet another college fair *rolls eyes*)
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)

Suicide is better, all round. No one is left with the guilt.

What about people who are physically unable to commit suicide? I think there is a need for euthenasia, but it must be carefully monitored.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
What about people who are physically unable to commit suicide? I think there is a need for euthenasia, but it must be carefully monitored.
I agree.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (181)
18.81%
Labour (492)
51.14%
Liberal Democrats (130)
13.51%
Green Party (55)
5.72%
Brexit Party (15)
1.56%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.42%
SNP (15)
1.56%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.42%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)
0.42%
UKIP (10)
1.04%
Other (9)
0.94%
None (35)
3.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise