The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2014 - Discussion and help thread

Does anyone have any ideas what will come up in the 2014 Higher modern paper 1, I'm stressing out about studying for it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
“Critically examine the view that there is little opposition to the Communist Party in China”

So basically this is the question for the higher modern studies essay. I'm really confused, I don't know what I should talk about. Can someone be nice enough and give me some advice and help?
I did the introduction:
China is ruled and organised by one political party the Communist Party of China (CPC). This party came to power in 1949 and claims to have 78 million members in which the majority of these members are males over the age of 35. Females and younger adults are under-represented in the CPC. Unlike political parties in the UK, the CCP id deeply involved in the lives of ordinary people, watching over and influencing what they learn at school, watch on TV and access on the Internet, their jobs and housing, even the number of children they have. Over the years the CPC has been good at removing all elements of opposition and it maintains a strong grip on politics. The little opposition to the Communist Party is shown by the lack of widespread protests in China despite not having freedom that we have in the UK. Also, Chinese people do not have tradition of democracy as we do. However, some groups do show opposition (but tend to be crushed if they don’t co-operate with the governments) and these are often the dissidents.

Please, I'm really stuck and I need to hand in this essay on Monday
Thank you!
I'm too late - but I had this essay question the other week.
I spoke about an activist firstly, then went on to speak about opposition through religious movements (falun gong). And finally I spoke about how there are eight other officially recognised political parties in China.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How on earth do you write this essay. "Trade not aid is more effective in promoting development in Africa. Discuss." I know lots about aid but the only notes I have on trade are the drawbacks that cash crops etc have on development.
Reply 4
My teacher thinks that these topics will come up:
Q1B- How the powers of the Prime Minister can be limited by other parts of government
Q1D- Voting Behaviour- Social class is the main factor influencing voting behaviour
B5- Government response to wealth or health inequalities
C8- Human rights or political power in China
C9- immigration in the United states
Original post by Bubblyminty
I have been looking on the SQA website and they tell you not to paraphrase the essay question. And that the introduction should be VERY brief.

My teacher (who is a nutcase) insists that we write a full intro which tells the examiner what the essay will discuss. Surely this is a total waste of time considering we only get 22 minutes to write the essay?

I have looked at example essays which virtually get full marks and they do none of this.

What am I supposed to do? My teacher lectures me for not writing a proper introductory paragraph in my essays!

Hello,
I think it's a personal choice, however I think that it is a big waste of time to focus on putting detail into an intro. 22 minutes is not enough time as it is without having to write a huge intro. You are better to spend the time on your points and if you give a full enough answer with plenty evidence and analysis you will get the marks based on that and not the intro. So if i where you I'd just rebel against my teacher, or write fuller intros in class but for the actual exam don't :smile:
Reply 6
I agree with everyone above. You only have 22 minutes so keep the intro brief. I usually just do a very brief outline of the arguments i will speak of and thats all.

Also, in my school there is this retired teacher who used to mark modern studies exams and he suggests the same thing as you do not actually receive any marks for your introduction.
Reply 7
My teacher as well as a past sqa examiner think the following:
1B - pressure groups
1D - factors affecting voting behaviour

not sure about predictions on the rest sorry
My teacher along with other modern studies teachers predicted:

Q1A- Relationship between scottish parliament and uk parliament
B5- Government response to health inequalities
C8- Implications of China's market economy on social and economic inequality
C9- Ethnic minorities
Reply 9
Hi! Does anyone have any predictions for the 2014 paper? The predictions last year seemed to be pretty accurate so here's hoping☺️
Here's what I think

A4- Voting Behavior
B5 - Factors that affect health - thinking poverty
C9 - Immigration
C11 - NGO's or effectiveness of aid
So I thought I would get a thread going since the exam is literally 3 weeks today!!

How are you guys feeling about it?
Very Very under prepared!!!!!! Oh no!!! You? How many essays is everyone memorising? :O GOOD LUCK!!!! X
Original post by MillieBell02
Very Very under prepared!!!!!! Oh no!!! You? How many essays is everyone memorising? :O GOOD LUCK!!!! X

Aaaah I'm the exact same as you!! I feel as if i know nothing at all!!

I'm thinking of writing out a bunch of essay plans and learn a bunch of facts for paper 1 and the DME...so nervous right now! :frown:
I have a lot of BKU- if you want?! :smile:
It's the essays and all the examples!!!! Which topics do you do?? I'm praying for immigration essay!!!!! It's fab! :biggrin: X
Here is some (hopefully) helpful BKU :wink:

-13 million people live in relative poverty in the UK
-9/10 single parents are mothers
-87% of all cashiers are women
-5Cs - cleaning/caring/catering/cashiering/clerical
-52% single parent families live in relative poverty
-In full time employment men receive 20% more than women on average per week
-27% scots are obese :O
-3 main killers in Scotland are cancer/stroke/heart disease
-men are 20% less likely to visit the doctors than women
-VAT rose from 17.5% - 20% in 2011
-the black report identified the link between health and wealth in 1980

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! :biggrin:
If in doubt just make BKU up...they will never know :wink: aha!

Do you have an essay plan for individualism v collectivism?? :O
Here is some (hopefully) helpful BKU :wink:

-13 million people live in relative poverty in the UK
-9/10 single parents are mothers
-87% of all cashiers are women
-5Cs - cleaning/caring/catering/cashiering/clerical
-52% single parent families live in relative poverty
-In full time employment men receive 20% more than women on average per week
-27% scots are obese :O
-3 main killers in Scotland are cancer/stroke/heart disease
-men are 20% less likely to visit the doctors than women
-VAT rose from 17.5% - 20% in 2011
-the black report identified the link between health and wealth in 1980

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! :biggrin:
If in doubt just make BKU up...they will never know :wink: aha!

Do you have an essay plan for individualism v collectivism?? :O

Ahhh thank you this helps a lot!!
I'm doing:
A4 - voting systems and voting behaviour
B5+B6 - Social issues
C9 - USA
C11 - Politics of development

Hoping for really good questions to come up!! And I don't have a individualism vs collectivism plan, however i know people that did higher last year so i'll ask them if they do!
Original post by Christopher199
Ahhh thank you this helps a lot!!
I'm doing:
A4 - voting systems and voting behaviour
B5+B6 - Social issues
C9 - USA
C11 - Politics of development

Hoping for really good questions to come up!! And I don't have a individualism vs collectivism plan, however i know people that did higher last year so i'll ask them if they do!

Aww! That would be great,thanks!!! :biggrin:
Do you have an American dream essay? :smile:)
X
Aww! That would be great,thanks!!! :biggrin:
Do you have an American dream essay? :smile:)
X

I'm probably going to be working on one in the next few days....been working on immigration and powers of the president recently :tongue:
My teacher thinks it's going to be

social class influencing voting behaviour
Backbench powers or PM powers. Maybe pressure groups
Gender and Race - Causes
Collectivism vs Individualism
CCP opposition in China or Human Rights in CHina
Immigration for the USA or maybe social and economic inequality in the form of an American dream type thing.

Quick Reply

Latest