Would you ever marry an android?

Watch
Necrosyrtes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
You've just come out of a cryogenic freezer you fell in whilst delivering pizza and the year is now 2192. Humanoid androids have been created which look human, think human and feel almost human. Consider the following situation:

You find a place which is offering the perfect android partner. This includes small, deliberate imperfections (because nobody really wants a perfect partner), but you can give them any personality/physical traits that you want (provided they don't conflict obviously - no tall-short people). Would you order a partner? Would you ever marry (i.e. get in a long term commitment kind of marry) it? Why/why not?
(money is no object)
They're exactly like humans, but they are mechanical instead of biological.

Spoiler:
Show

Personally, I would order a partner. I think a robot wife would be superior to a human wife. Also I want a wife who doesn't really want to talk to me very much (or me to talk to her), but I'm not sure if there are any real people like that, and if there was, how would they become my wife?
The only problem is, it might feel like I'm a slave owner, which I really don't want - I would like a wife, not a servant.

What about the situation where you meet an android normally and fell in love?
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, because after our love affair, all those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...
That's just what comes to mind with 'android' k
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Necrosyrtes)
You've just come out of a cryogenic freezer you fell in whilst delivering pizza and the year is now 2192. Humanoid androids have been created which look human, think human and feel almost human. Consider the following situation:

You find a place which is offering the perfect android partner. This includes small, deliberate imperfections (because nobody really wants a perfect partner), but you can give them any personality/physical traits that you want (provided they don't conflict obviously - no tall-short people). Would you order a partner? Would you ever marry (i.e. get in a long term commitment kind of marry) it? Why/why not?
(money is no object)

Spoiler:
Show

Personally, I would order a partner. I think a robot wife would be superior to a human wife. Also I want a wife who doesn't really want to talk to me very much (or me to talk to her), but I'm not sure if there are any real people like that, and if there was, how would they become my wife?
The only problem is, it might feel like I'm a slave owner, which I really don't want - I would like a wife, not a servant.

What about the situation where you meet an android normally and fell in love?
Call me old-fashioned, but I have this... thing. I prefer to marry things that are... y'know... alive. Otherwise it's not marriage.

Next!
Necrosyrtes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
No, because after our love affair, all those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...
I thought someone might make a Blade Runner reference The date I put is 200 years after the setting of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (or 210 years after Blade Runner was released).
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm gonna go with no..
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. I want biological children (i.e. real children).
Necrosyrtes
Rep:
?
(Original post by ILovePancakes)
I'm gonna go with no..
Why?

(Original post by Tootles)
Call me old-fashioned, but I have this... thing. I prefer to marry things that are... y'know... alive. Otherwise it's not marriage.

Next!
Ok, would you ever have a relationship with an android?
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, I don't even want to marry a human. I only accept gods. :pierre:
Necrosyrtes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
No. I want biological children (i.e. real children).
So I assume you wouldn't marry an infertile human?
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why?
It probably has something to do with the fact that it's not human and I wouldn't want to have a partner who has a piece of metal for a penis.
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Willing to bet japan would be monopolizing the trade and leading the worlds sex toy industry by then.
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So I assume you wouldn't marry an infertile human?
Correct. I wouldn't.
Necrosyrtes
Rep:
?
It probably has something to do with the fact that it's not human and I wouldn't want to have a partner who has a piece of metal for a penis.
Yes, but the only difference is the way the robot actually feels. To all other purposes it is a human. What if you found out after you already formed a relationship?
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, but the only difference is the way the robot actually feels. To all other purposes it is a human. What if you found out after you already formed a relationship?
Is the robot capable of emotion?
Necrosyrtes
Rep:
?
Is the robot capable of emotion?
Yes. They're exactly like humans, but they are mechanical instead of biological. Maybe I should clarify that in the OP.
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
My thoughts exactly. I've seen Bladerunner, if android = Roy Baty then love him though I do (he's my favourite villain/anti-hero), I think I'd prefer a human. Plus if Doctor Who's anything to go by, they're rubbish. :lol:
MsFahima
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. They're exactly like humans, but they are mechanical instead of biological. Maybe I should clarify that in the OP.
Can they poo?
Necrosyrtes
Rep:
?
Can they poo?
This is getting pretty complex. I will say yes, so long as they eat (if I were designing an android I'd make them able to eat, if even just for show).
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is getting pretty complex. I will say yes, so long as they eat (if I were designing an android I'd make them able to eat, if even just for show).
Can they breathe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed