Help recover from bulimia Watch

tasha1993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hello my name is tasha I am 20 years old I am currently suffering with bulimia. I have had this for four years. I was wondering if anyone could give me any help/advice on getting better. I have currently dropped to under 7 stone which is scary.
yepyepyep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tasha1993)
hello my name is tasha I am 20 years old I am currently suffering with bulimia. I have had this for four years. I was wondering if anyone could give me any help/advice on getting better. I have currently dropped to under 7 stone which is scary.
See a doctor, go into therapy.
In the mean time go try to find support groups online or something, but stay away from pro mia sites.
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely get in touch with relevant support group, why not send mind an email?
They are a charity that work with mental health issues and should be able to give you advice and support on any specific issues.
I hope you can overcome this, admitting it and reaching out is such a difficult and daunting thing to do don't give up!
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by yepyepyep)
See a doctor, go into therapy.
In the mean time go try to find support groups online or something, but stay away from pro mia sites.

Im currently on the waiting list for therapy, however in the mean time i am getting worse, I am making myself sick even after a sip of water. I hate feeling full. I also suffer with bipola so when i feel depressed/ stressed this is when bulimia creeps up on me. I cant find any help groups out there i keep coming across sites that will make me worse. Is there any help groups in Birmingham you know?
yepyepyep
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im currently on the waiting list for therapy, however in the mean time i am getting worse, I am making myself sick even after a sip of water. I hate feeling full. I also suffer with bipola so when i feel depressed/ stressed this is when bulimia creeps up on me. I cant find any help groups out there i keep coming across sites that will make me worse. Is there any help groups in Birmingham you know?
Oh, that's not good. I'm sorry you're in that position. Try contacting your GP and let them know you're getting worse and need urgent medical attention. I don't know of any, sorry.
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgie_M)
Definitely get in touch with relevant support group, why not send mind an email?
They are a charity that work with mental health issues and should be able to give you advice and support on any specific issues.
I hope you can overcome this, admitting it and reaching out is such a difficult and daunting thing to do don't give up!
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom I also have bipolar so im under a mental health team who have refereed me to a psychiatrist for the bulimia im currently on a waiting list. I definitely will be looking into finding support groups because at the moment things seem to be getting worse.
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I suffer from Bulimia too. I would definitely say get some medical support. I have a psychiatrist which really helps me to get things out. I also stopped purging completely by forcing myself to do the opposite of whatever my eating disorder tells me to do. This was hell because my metabolism was so messed up I'd be gaining with every meal. Six months down the line, I rarely purge or restrict. But you have to want to get better otherwise you'll just relapse. Follow through with any support you'll be offered and you should be okay, at least temporarily.
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by yepyepyep)
Oh, that's not good. I'm sorry you're in that position. Try contacting your GP and let them know you're getting worse and need urgent medical attention. I don't know of any, sorry.
My GP does know but unfortunately I cant seek urgent medical care as i have a six month old baby. I would of admitted mysef to hospital but i have to look after my child she is my number one priority. I really want to get better but i just cant seem to get the help i need But thanks anyway
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chihiro95)
Hey, I suffer from Bulimia too. I would definitely say get some medical support. I have a psychiatrist which really helps me to get things out. I also stopped purging completely by forcing myself to do the opposite of whatever my eating disorder tells me to do. This was hell because my metabolism was so messed up I'd be gaining with every meal. Six months down the line, I rarely purge or restrict. But you have to want to get better otherwise you'll just relapse. Follow through with any support you'll be offered and you should be okay, at least temporarily.

Okay thank you so much, i am on a waiting list for a psychiatrist. Im not afraid of putting on weight, this whole sickness thing started because i was bullied at school and the stress from that made me phsically sick and then it just turned into bulimia. I dont binge i hardly eat i think i have become afraid of food. Im so glad you are getting better, keep up the good work.
Georgie_M
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom I also have bipolar so im under a mental health team who have refereed me to a psychiatrist for the bulimia im currently on a waiting list. I definitely will be looking into finding support groups because at the moment things seem to be getting worse.
I haven't had bulimia but I have suffered with mental health problems and mind will be able to tell you about online support groups and also ones in your local area. Sometimes all you really need is that support, just being able to get it out and discuss it with people who have gone through similar experiences can really help. Obviously this takes a lot of inner strength too, I know it's not an easy road and nothing's simple but it's worth pushing yourself, you'll have to in order to get better.
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgie_M)
I haven't had bulimia but I have suffered with mental health problems and mind will be able to tell you about online support groups and also ones in your local area. Sometimes all you really need is that support, just being able to get it out and discuss it with people who have gone through similar experiences can really help. Obviously this takes a lot of inner strength too, I know it's not an easy road and nothing's simple but it's worth pushing yourself, you'll have to in order to get better.
okay thank you ill defo contact mind
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay thank you so much, i am on a waiting list for a psychiatrist. Im not afraid of putting on weight, this whole sickness thing started because i was bullied at school and the stress from that made me phsically sick and then it just turned into bulimia. I dont binge i hardly eat i think i have become afraid of food. Im so glad you are getting better, keep up the good work.
You can do it. Recovery isn't easy but it's so worth it because you'll be able to live without thinking about it 24/7. Setting a recovery goal like getting the purging down to once a day if you're currently purging multiple times a day, then trying to go days without doing it at all may be helpful starting out. I was bullied too, mainly for my weight but other things as well. I developed an even more unhealthy relationship with food as a consequence, dieting all the time and eventually it got so bad I couldn't handle the sensation of food in my stomach. You can let go of this, I believe in you! And thank you
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
at the end of the day a therapist isn't going to give you a magical solution which enables you to just stop puking, you still have to force yourself to eat and not vomit at some point, so why not start now? set yourself a goal, like start by drinking 2lt of water a day without purging, then try and get through some breakfast... it is horrible and difficult but it is the same as you will face in therapy, by starting now you give yourself a head start to talk about some of the issues behind your disorder rather than spending every session talking about what you have/n't eaten
laureningham2013
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Tasha,

I was in exactly the same position but now I am much better. It's a sensitive subject to discuss on a public forum so if you or anybody else needs a chat and advice just email me:

laureningham2013 (at) gmail.com

xxx
tasha1993
Rep:
?
Omg I'm am totally shocked thank you so much to everyone that has replied to my thread, I'm gunna be honest I didn't expect much I expected to get negative comments but you have all Been very humble and comforting . Today I was able to eat I had a bacon sandwich, a packet of crisps, biscuits, and a banana a few prawn crackers. Not all in one sitting, everything was spaced out through the day. I have not purged once today and already I have gained bk some of my energy and motivation and even speaking to strangers about my disorder has helped me soo much. You all gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get me on to the pathway of recovery. You are all amazing people and I could not thank you enough. Sorry about the long message I get carried away sometimes advice is always welcom. I have started my journey of recovery but I have a very long way to go. Enjoy the rest of your night everyone xxx
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
at the end of the day a therapist isn't going to give you a magical solution which enables you to just stop puking, you still have to force yourself to eat and not vomit at some point, so why not start now? set yourself a goal, like start by drinking 2lt of water a day without purging, then try and get through some breakfast... it is horrible and difficult but it is the same as you will face in therapy, by starting now you give yourself a head start to talk about some of the issues behind your disorder rather than spending every session talking about what you have/n't eaten
Thanks so much doodle i am gunna set myself an eating schedule and im gunna stick to it. I will definitely start drinking more water too.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks so much doodle i am gunna set myself an eating schedule and im gunna stick to it. I will definitely start drinking more water too.
good luck keep asking your GP to write to the place you've been referred, often you can be bumped up the waiting list, and dont lose hope if it's really hard right now, it will get easier and it will be easier once you have the support of a therapist, but your priority right now needs to be staying out of hospital so you can be able to access that help in the best way and the way your behaviour was you wouldn't be staying out of hospital for long!
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
good luck keep asking your GP to write to the place you've been referred, often you can be bumped up the waiting list, and dont lose hope if it's really hard right now, it will get easier and it will be easier once you have the support of a therapist, but your priority right now needs to be staying out of hospital so you can be able to access that help in the best way and the way your behaviour was you wouldn't be staying out of hospital for long!

Thanks so much, i did relapse yesterday and i purged around 10 times, its going to a long road but i going to try my best to get through it.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I cant find any help groups out there i keep coming across sites that will make me worse.
Try here if you need to talk online to others affected, who are moving in a more positive direction:
http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forum

It's based in the US but is very definitely focussed on recovery and supporting people through recovery.

b-Eat in the UK also has message boards where you can chat with people looking towards recovery:
http://www.b-eat.co.uk/

Good luck.
tasha1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
Try here if you need to talk online to others affected, who are moving in a more positive direction:
http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forum

It's based in the US but is very definitely focussed on recovery and supporting people through recovery.

b-Eat in the UK also has message boards where you can chat with people looking towards recovery:
http://www.b-eat.co.uk/

Good luck.
thank you so much I really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (24)
70.59%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
17.65%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.76%

Watched Threads