Is it normal after recovering from depression to ever wonder why you were depressed? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I experienced depression during my mid teenage years but consider myself now recovered from it. It was pretty severe back then so it's strange how I recovered from it but perhaps I just got stronger. However, I now find that whenever I read stories of people suffering from depression such as celebrities, I fail to understand why they suffer from it. It's difficult to explain, I do feel huge empathy for them because I know and understand what it's like, but I feel....detached from it. I just feel pity for them but I feel like I can't relate. Also, I used to have extremely low thoughts back then too but when I see articles or stories of people who have actually attempted I feel really sorry for them and again feel like I can't relate. I think 'Wow that is so awful. I remember I used to feel that way. I can't believe they felt that low that they attempted'.

I often look back on my experience with depression and wonder why I ever experienced it. I feel confused to why I ever suffered from it and sometimes resent myself for it because I lived a very blessed and privileged life. Sometimes I think 'I can't believe I ever used to feel so low'. I look back on moments when I used to cry daily and feel annoyed at myself for it and just don't understand why I felt so low.

Is this normal? Why do I lack so much empathy now that I've recovered?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
It's because your perception is changed when you're depressed. I'm depressed and I've been depressed before and I swear the depression I feel now is a thousand times worse. I know that I need to get over my depression so that I can hand in my uni work for deadlines Ect and that come June ill have time to sort out myself but I've been so depressed that I can't eat, I can't sleep and I can't concentrate. I know I'm screwing myself over by this because I'm doing crap at uni/missing deadlines but I can't stop myself.
I know other people who are depressed who think that the reason that they are depressed is stupid but they cannot stop it (myself included) and I also know people who can't understand why some people are depressed even though they themselves have been or are depressed. You cannot judge someone else's depression because you don't understand the circumstances surrounding it.
It's fine to look back on yourself and wonder why you were that depressed because your perception isn't as altered now as it was then.

I'd give anything to not feel like this at this moment.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's because your perception is changed when you're depressed. I'm depressed and I've been depressed before and I swear the depression I feel now is a thousand times worse. I know that I need to get over my depression so that I can hand in my uni work for deadlines Ect and that come June ill have time to sort out myself but I've been so depressed that I can't eat, I can't sleep and I can't concentrate. I know I'm screwing myself over by this because I'm doing crap at uni/missing deadlines but I can't stop myself.
I know other people who are depressed who think that the reason that they are depressed is stupid but they cannot stop it (myself included) and I also know people who can't understand why some people are depressed even though they themselves have been or are depressed. You cannot judge someone else's depression because you don't understand the circumstances surrounding it.
It's fine to look back on yourself and wonder why you were that depressed because your perception isn't as altered now as it was then.

I'd give anything to not feel like this at this moment.
I'm so sorry I wish I could give you the biggest hug ever right now. I wish depression didn't exist, it truly is a really horrible thing to experience. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you really are a very strong person. Do you receive counselling? Counselling does help. Also daily meditation and yoga for at least 30 mins - 1 hour everyday does help. Dancing and listening to upbeat music used to help me a lot. Spend time with friends. Do fun things. Be active it helps I tell you what, make a goal for yourself and for me to book a ticket to a music festival this summer. Trust me you won't regret it! You will have a great time. I feel so sad for you because I do know what it's like, I wish I could get a magic wand and get rid of it for you! Also, promise yourself to attend a Zumba class this month -it really helps also! I really really wish this depression will get better for you. Huge huge hugs :hugs: <3
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm so sorry I wish I could give you the biggest hug ever right now. I wish depression didn't exist, it truly is a really horrible thing to experience. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you really are a very strong person. Do you receive counselling? Counselling does help. Also daily meditation and yoga for at least 30 mins - 1 hour everyday does help. Dancing and listening to upbeat music used to help me a lot. Spend time with friends. Do fun things. Be active it helps I tell you what, make a goal for yourself and for me to book a ticket to a music festival this summer. Trust me you won't regret it! You will have a great time. I feel so sad for you because I do know what it's like, I wish I could get a magic wand and get rid of it for you! Also, promise yourself to attend a Zumba class this month -it really helps also! I really really wish this depression will get better for you. Huge huge hugs :hugs: <3
I havent had councilling or anything and I dont have time for it now with all my uni work. I did yoga-lates once and liked it but I spend every waking moment trying to do my uni work or working at my job because I want this so badly. I feel like any time I take out is time I've wasted.
I've been reciently diagnosed with dyslexia too, and they said I'm supposed to get sessions for that so I can improve but because I was diagnosed so late (I basically just thought I was lacking in comparison to everyone else and everyone, including my family have written me off as not particularly bright) I dont have the time to access all of the help available. I feel like I'm destined to fail. I want so badly to make something of my life and to pursue a masters course but I wont get in this rate (if I can ever afford it). I'm not even sure if I'll graduate.
This is the one thing I've done for me, and the only thing I have academically achieved at and I'm ruining everything I swear there must be something wrong with me.

I want to try meditation. to see if it helps. Do you have any tips?

PS. I'm sorry for offloading this on you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads