The Student Room Group

Why are some people a lot more attractive than others?

Surely natural selection would have just left us with attractive people? I'm average and it sucks that some people are just naturally more attractive (therefore more successful in life, there's loads of studies on it)
Why? Were we a lot uglier in the past or something and the people today are actually an improvement?

I'm not trying to say unattractive people wouldn't have had kids at all but surely the amount of attractive people having kids would be greater right? So why are really attractive people a minority?
Apparently the ugly people get together and bang :dontknow:
Reply 2
It's important to remember that judgment of attractiveness is very subjective to each individual, so people who you would consider 'unattractive' would be 'attractive' to others, meaning perhaps we can't definitely say great attractiveness is in the minority.

I don't think there's a definitive answer but, having enjoyed studying relationship psychology, I find this a really intriguing question. :smile:
Original post by ohland
Surely natural selection would have just left us with attractive people? I'm average and it sucks that some people are just naturally more attractive (therefore more successful in life, there's loads of studies on it)
Why? Were we a lot uglier in the past or something and the people today are actually an improvement?

I'm not trying to say unattractive people wouldn't have had kids at all but surely the amount of attractive people having kids would be greater right? So why are really attractive people a minority?

I have heard the idea (I can't remember where so I'm not sure how scientific it is) that people are more attractive now than they were in the past, partly because of genetics but mostly because of better diets, better medical care, cosmetic products etc. It's kind of subjective I guess because people's idea of attractiveness is partly (though by no means fully) influenced by society and also because there's always going to be a spectrum of attractiveness if you look at people at any time throughout history. If you look at it objectively and judge us by every person who has ever lived, we're all hot :tongue:.
I agree that it vary from person to person, But still some people are so attractive to every one.
Hmm question asked on TSR, I wonder what the possible explanation could be....?

Ah yes, I've got it! Feminism.

These days women aren't women any more and men have become feminised so society is getting uglier.
Original post by ohland

I know of an attractive couple with an unattractive kid...
Reply 7
Humans have developed some traits which defy natural selection, you may have noticed
Reply 8
well attractive is a subjective term anyway really
Perception, duh.
There will always be people who are more attractive because it's comparative. Do you think our monkey-like ancestors attractive? I think not.
Reply 11
Luck of the draw, there'll always be someone more attractive than you (or quite a lot in some people's case).

Quick Reply

Latest