AS English Lit Watch

BeautifulBossx~x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is anyone doing The Beauty Queen of Leenane??? I have it for my course work and managed to run dry of ideas on how black comedy links to The Beauty Queen. Also is anyone doing Small Islands and the Great Gatsby??? :confused::confused::confused:
BeautifulBossx~x
Rep:
?
(Original post by s100ia)
I am studying both Small Island (hate it) and The Great Gatsby (love it)
What is there to hate about Small Island??? Great Gatsby I don't really know can't say I dislike though Anyway have you got any ideas on Narrative for both texts??
BeautifulBossx~x
Rep:
?
(Original post by s100ia)
I just don't find Small Island as interesting as Gatsby.
And nope, I'm going to start my revision notes on Thursday. Wbu?
Loool feeling the stress exams are closing in, I haven't quite finished small island and Gatsby I haven't even started preparing my notes! I planned to start revising last night but um didn't go so well :L. What other texts are studying for the subject? I find the subject just draining tbh coursework etc
BeautifulBossx~x
Rep:
?
Yeah I'm doing Auden also. Auden is the worst Lool this one poem by Auden called 1st of September is horrible to analyse and depict a story from! Yuup same I won't settle for anything less I worked to damn hard on that coursework to get anything less than an A! if you don't mind me asking what text did you do for your coursework? And um I'm looking at Cardiff (although my mind is pretty much set on Cardiff) York, Southampton, East Anglia and Keele. I want to do Law and Criminology. You?
Dougieowner
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started revising for the exam a few days ago, going through important quotations for the novels and trying to get alternative interpretations for them all. I'm studying The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby - both books are great so I hope I do well when I'm answering the questions on them. I'm planning to do Section B with both novels and then another poem that I didn't answer for Section A because I think the Section B questions work better with novels. The questions seem more open since they have to cover all texts on the syllabus.

I'm studying Rossetti and Auden poems. I don't mind poems, but I find some of them annoying. I agree with BeautifulBossx~x that 1st September is really annoying. There's a lot of context but not much of a story... I don't really like Victor either. In the exam I hope the Auden poem is 'Musée des Beaux Arts' because I like that one (maybe because it's a short poem so I can remember everything?! Some of the poems (especially Rossetti's Goblin Market) are so long. Although they'll only ask you to write about a small section, it's still a bit annoying.) James Honeyman and As I Walked Out One Evening aren't too bad either.

For Rossetti I hope either In The Round Tower or An Apple Gathering come up. They haven't been on the exam before and I think I can analyse both of them well. I'm revising through all of the poems this week and then I'm going to do practise questions on them next week to consolidate my knowledge...
BeautifulBossx~x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dougieowner)
I started revising for the exam a few days ago, going through important quotations for the novels and trying to get alternative interpretations for them all. I'm studying The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby - both books are great so I hope I do well when I'm answering the questions on them. I'm planning to do Section B with both novels and then another poem that I didn't answer for Section A because I think the Section B questions work better with novels. The questions seem more open since they have to cover all texts on the syllabus.

I'm studying Rossetti and Auden poems. I don't mind poems, but I find some of them annoying. I agree with BeautifulBossx~x that 1st September is really annoying. There's a lot of context but not much of a story... I don't really like Victor either. In the exam I hope the Auden poem is 'Musée des Beaux Arts' because I like that one (maybe because it's a short poem so I can remember everything?! Some of the poems (especially Rossetti's Goblin Market) are so long. Although they'll only ask you to write about a small section, it's still a bit annoying.) James Honeyman and As I Walked Out One Evening aren't too bad either.

For Rossetti I hope either In The Round Tower or An Apple Gathering come up. They haven't been on the exam before and I think I can analyse both of them well. I'm revising through all of the poems this week and then I'm going to do practise questions on them next week to consolidate my knowledge...
The Kite Runner is amazing! Tear up every time! Your really lucky! I'd trade in Small Island for The Kite Runner any day! How are you finding the Great Gatsby? And if you had to choose one of these novels which would it be and why?
Dougieowner
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BeautifulBossx~x)
The Kite Runner is amazing! Tear up every time! Your really lucky! I'd trade in Small Island for The Kite Runner any day! How are you finding the Great Gatsby? And if you had to choose one of these novels which would it be and why?
It is! I'm about to get back to annotating some more chapters now (I have two copies - an older that I use to annotate in class and a newer one which I copy up annotations in need. In class I make notes really quickly so they're a bit messy...)

My favourite of the two is probably The Kite Runner because it has a more captivating plot with loads of emotion, but having said that as I continue to study The Great Gatsby and learn more about it, I'm loving that one even more as well.

Also earlier today I did a practise Section A question for a Rossetti poem and I think my answer seems ok. I also managed to write much more than I thought I could
BeautifulBossx~x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dougieowner)
It is! I'm about to get back to annotating some more chapters now (I have two copies - an older that I use to annotate in class and a newer one which I copy up annotations in need. In class I make notes really quickly so they're a bit messy...)

My favourite of the two is probably The Kite Runner because it has a more captivating plot with loads of emotion, but having said that as I continue to study The Great Gatsby and learn more about it, I'm loving that one even more as well.

Also earlier today I did a practise Section A question for a Rossetti poem and I think my answer seems ok. I also managed to write much more than I thought I could
Interesting. My answer is simple Lool I prefer The Kite Runner hands down! Not to say that I don't like the novel its just that Nick Carraway just gets on my nerves. He's biased thinks he's morally superior, unreliable and just downright irritating. But heey that's just my opinion. Other than that its a decent novel :L speaking of notes are you doing a question on narrative???
mollsbolls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing The Great Gatsby (love it) and Enduring Love which I hate! Can't get my head around it or distinguish the narrative techniques McEwan uses! The stress is real.
BeautifulBossx~x
Rep:
?
(Original post by mollsbolls)
I'm doing The Great Gatsby (love it) and Enduring Love which I hate! Can't get my head around it or distinguish the narrative techniques McEwan uses! The stress is real.
Haha the struggle is real :P
pova_power15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, just wondered if any of you have any good notes on Gatsby, Kite Runner or Rossetti? Really scared for this exam...
bradshawsl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pova_power15)
Hey, just wondered if any of you have any good notes on Gatsby, Kite Runner or Rossetti? Really scared for this exam...
All of the above! I'm doing Gatsby for section A and the latter two for section B (along with Browning). Pm me if you want me to email you any notes
bradshawsl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in a state of shock that everybody seems to love The Kite Runner! :eek:
DemiLL
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey does anybody have any notes or essays on Rossetti's 'An Apple Gathering' and 'In the Round Tower...' ? I appear to have nothing on them and there's a good chance either of them could come up in the exam! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Missgeehughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing Gatsby and Enduring Love for my novels and Browning and Tennyson for poetry. I did Enduring love for my section A in the mock exam and managed to get an A, however I do feel that poetry is WAY easier for Section A Part A because you can easily pick out form/structure/language.. so it's a hard decision! I hope all of your exam prep is going well <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (27)
11.44%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.17%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.97%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.39%
No (170)
72.03%

Watched Threads