The Student Room Group

Sleep 4-5 hours a day?

I hear some people sleep 4 hours a day and they feel the same as if they had 8 hour sleep. Is this true and if it is can you explain it to me. Also the people who do this say that they have more time to to something productive instead of wasting 4 more hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not recommended, I find when you lack sleep that your revision will be hindered, your going to be far less productive since you cannot cover as much work, mainly due to a need to sleep
Reply 2
Original post by TheMagican
Not recommended, I find when you lack sleep that your revision will be hindered, your going to be far less productive since you cannot cover as much work, mainly due to a need to sleep

Yes i agree however if you research about it quite a few people with certain genes are able to do this. It is quite amazing if you ask me. Like the amount of time you save. You roughly have an extra month of time within 10 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel the same whether I sleep 4 hours or 8 but it depends on whether you can still function with that amount. I wouldn't recommend it if you're revising though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MidnightDream
I feel the same whether I sleep 4 hours or 8 but it depends on whether you can still function with that amount. I wouldn't recommend it if you're revising though :smile:

Yeah true i don't think i should risk it before gcse i might do it in the summer as we have 3 months of school ahah i might also try lucid dreaming as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by usmaandada121
I hear some people sleep 4 hours a day and they feel the same as if they had 8 hour sleep. Is this true and if it is can you explain it to me. Also the people who do this say that they have more time to to something productive instead of wasting 4 more hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yesterday I slept for only 3 hours (because I stayed up to finish the chapter I was revising) and I can tell you I DID NOT feel the same as if I had slept for 8-9 hours!!! I felt very tired in the morning and wanted to have a nap at 5 p.m... :tongue: I guess everyone's different, though. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Some people can get by on less sleep, but reguarly sleeping less than 5/6 hours a day is associated with a 12% higher death rate than those who sleep 7-8hours.
If you usually have around 8 hours, you probably can't function well on significantly less sleep.
Yay, revision. :hmmm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I have functioned on 2/3 hours many a time. However the last time I 'tried' (never really have a choice) I nearly passed out in my 9am. I try and get more sleep now, and honestly, I am much happier for it. You think it might not be making much of a difference at the time, but you're just telling yourself that; the difference is pretty big when you're on the 'greener' side.
Reply 8
Original post by usmaandada121
Yes i agree however if you research about it quite a few people with certain genes are able to do this. It is quite amazing if you ask me. Like the amount of time you save. You roughly have an extra month of time within 10 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, I don't know how you got that figure. But according to my calculations, you get about 2 months extra every year.

Regarding your qs, I dont think I can survive on 4 hours sleep xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If I get less than 5-6 hours of sleep I'm just in a terrible mood all day and unable to concentrate. Some people can get by with an incredibly short amount of sleep, but for most people 7-8 hours is best. Personally I'd rather get the extra few hours sleep and wake up refreshed than have to get through revision while being sleep deprived. The odd all-nighter for an exam or essay doesn't hurt, but stuff getting 4 hours sleep every day just for a few extra hours of revision.
Reply 10
Original post by Swanbow
If I get less than 5-6 hours of sleep I'm just in a terrible mood all day and unable to concentrate. Some people can get by with an incredibly short amount of sleep, but for most people 7-8 hours is best. Personally I'd rather get the extra few hours sleep and wake up refreshed than have to get through revision while being sleep deprived. The odd all-nighter for an exam or essay doesn't hurt, but stuff getting 4 hours sleep every day just for a few extra hours of revision.

I just did it once because I couldn't quit in the middle of the exercices I was doing! I just had to finish them. :smile: I've never heard of a human being doing it everyday... it's physically impossible!!! They aren't working to their full potential if they do it; and they'll probably end up losing some valuable marks in their exams!! :smile:

x

Have your 8-9 hours of sleep!!! :wink: It's important especially during revision.
I do, I roughly feel the same whether I get 2 hour of sleep or 10. Once you take a cup of coffee in the morning and take a cold shower, its all the same and that's six hours saved. Yes, it probably increases some health risks but its not going to be a long term thing; just for three/four months before exams and then you can make up for that during summer holiday by sleeping 13 hours a day.
Reply 12
Original post by Jenn.
I just did it once because I couldn't quit in the middle of the exercices I was doing! I just had to finish them. :smile: I've never heard of a human being doing it everyday... it's physically impossible!!! They aren't working to their full potential if they do it; and they'll probably end up losing some valuable marks in their exams!! :smile:

Some people can get by with little sleep, but for the vast majority it isn't a good idea :smile: I know that Margaret Thatcher, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton all managed on 4-6 hours sleep a night, don't know how they managed :lol:
Reply 13
I can't imagine ever getting 8 hours of sleep, especially during the week. What a waste of time!
Reply 14
Original post by Steinweg
Given your many posts on the football forum, I expect that you at least on occasion watch football matches. Ninety minutes of kicking a ball about - what a waste of time!

What was the need for that? I make a living from it so it's anything but a waste of time, smart arse.
Reply 15
Original post by Steinweg
Given your many posts on the football forum, I expect that you at least on occasion watch football matches. Ninety minutes of kicking a ball about - what a waste of time!

At least he enjoys every moment of it, unlike sleeping where you are unconscious.

For the record i've slept for less than 4 hours a day for the last week. Im not normally like this but i feel fine most of the time. There is that period between 3-5 pm where i could sleep just by blinking.
Reply 16
Everyone needs different amounts of sleep to function properly the next day :smile: The average is 8 hours per night but it's totally dependent on the individual. Thomas Edison needed 3-4 hours sleep a night to function perfectly but Einstein needed 10! Try having less sleep and if you don't function well the next day then increase the amount until you find a balance that suits you :smile: I sound like such a geek but I've been studying this in Psychology hahaha
Ive been sleeping for about 6 hours for the past few weeks, it doesnt really make a difference from sleeping 8 hours tbh
I sleep on average 5 hours a night, sometimes even 3-4. It's weird for me, because I always feel more tired if I was to sleep 8-9 hours a night than if I slept the amount I do now. I go to sleep at around 1 and have to wake up again at half 6 (public transport, joy) and can still fully function for the rest of the day, apart from right after I wake up (but hey, I doubt anyone wakes up feeling completely refreshed nowadays).

I know it's not good for you but I waste a lot of time having to travel to and from school (walking and catching buses) so by the time I get home, eat, do revision/homework, go to any extracurricular activities and shower, it takes up the whole of the evening and night anyways.

I'm used to it: been doing it since year 10.
Reply 19
Original post by pane123
What was the need for that? I make a living from it so it's anything but a waste of time, smart arse.

Have you earned your living from getting an alleged high score of 194 on Flappy Bird, also?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending