The Student Room Group

Am I a bad person for wanting good-looking kids?

The thread about having kids had me thinking:

If I have kids, they'll be adopted, since I'm gay and don't think it would be good to use surrogacy as one of us would be a biological father and the other wouldn't.

But I was saying to a friend yesterday that I would want to adopt a kid that had good-looking parents. If your kids are good-looking then they'll tend to be more popular, be happier etc. Given that the only thing you do know about potential adopted kids is what they might look like, it seems logical to me to choose ones that will have the higher chance of looking good.

My friend said I was a bad person for thinking this, and that I should love my kids equally, whoever they are. From my view, I would love them no matter what, but given the choice between the ones with good-looking parents and ones without, I can't see why you wouldn't do this.

Does this make me bad? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Treeroy

If I have kids, they'll be adopted, since I'm gay and don't think it would be good to use surrogacy as one of us would be a biological father and the other wouldn't.

But I was saying to a friend yesterday that I would want to adopt a kid that had good-looking parents. If your kids are good-looking then they'll tend to be more popular, be happier etc. Given that the only thing you do know about potential adopted kids is what they might look like, it seems logical to me to choose ones that will have the higher chance of looking good.

My friend said I was a bad person for thinking this, and that I should love my kids equally, whoever they are. From my view, I would love them no matter what, but given the choice between the ones with good-looking parents and ones without, I can't see why you wouldn't do this.

Why don't you ask a model to have your baby? Maybe give her some money to carry your baby for 9 months. Because she's a model, the baby will look a lot like her and you'll have your good looking baby which you can claim to be of your creation. Then you can carry it around with you and make other people jealous until it stops stops becoming a kid and develops feelings.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy

It doesn't make you bad. But..

I've seen good looking people have ugly kids. Just as I've seen ugly people have good looking kids. It's not just about what the parents look like, they all have the potential for the "beautiful" alleles.
As one of those kids who grew up with ****ing triple glazed glasses and a nerdy social group, I say u are only human wanting your kid to grow up looking good, but to make a decision based on their possible appearance just seems low to me...
(edited 10 years ago)
You're just setting yourself up for potential disappointment surely?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by stephanieuwa
It doesn't make you bad. But..

I've seen good looking people have ugly kids. Just as I've seen ugly people have good looking kids. It's not just about what the parents look like, they all have the potential for the "beautiful" alleles.

Obviously, and I understand that. But a good looking couple has a higher chance of producing a good-looking kid than an ugly couple does.

Original post by Клейтон
As one of those kids who grew up with ****ing triple glazed glasses and a nerdy social group, I say u are only human wanting your kid to grow up looking good, but to make a decision based on their possible appearance just seems low to me...

Well, you'd have to make a decision either way, and I think it's better to base it on what the child might actually be like, as opposed to anything else. No?
(edited 10 years ago)
I think everyone wants good looking kids. No one wants ugly kids, do they? But tbh I've seen that good looking people create ugly kids, and vice versa. Not saying that's always the case but it happens. I was an ugly kid, although I'd say I've gotten better now I'm older, although still not pretty.
Reply 7
I can see the appeal to wanting to have the 'perfect' children, BUT.......Even if you do adopt good looking kids when there at a young age, they could still be ugly when they're grown up. Any number of things can make people appear to be less good looking no matter what there parents look like. Also, i doubt theres any proof that they would be any happier then any other child.
Yes I think that would be fake and superficial op. I also think it will go some way to cementing that superficial trait gay people are presented to exhibit (not my views media etc)
Nope. I agree completely.

That's why I'd only want to marry someone good looking.

This might sound really weird.. But whenever a boy hits on me or whatever, I think "what would our kids look like" - that's how you know :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by fabstrawberry
I think everyone wants good looking kids. No one wants ugly kids, do they? But tbh I've seen that good looking people create ugly kids, and vice versa. Not saying that's always the case but it happens. I was an ugly kid, although I'd say I've gotten better now I'm older, although still not pretty.

This might sound weird but good looking people have very clear skin, proportion and such that carries down generations. A kid from two attractive parents has all of the attributes like clear skin and such only their actual facial features are arranged in a way which is displeasing on the eye.

Attraction is based on synergy and cohesion. Features have to compliment each other.

But what do I know?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy
Obviously, and I understand that. But a good looking couple has a higher chance of producing a good-looking kid than an ugly couple does.

Well, you'd have to make a decision either way, and I think it's better to base it on what the child might actually be like, as opposed to anything else. No?

I dunno.. depends on the chromosomes tbh
It's not bad but to be honest most kids are ugly/chubby when they're young and can end up looking top notch after puberty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ILovePancakes

This might sound really weird.. But whenever a boy hits on me or whatever, I think "what would our kids look like" - that's how you know :tongue:

Ikr? So true.
Original post by Treeroy

Is it bad to be ugly? Are ugly people to be shunned? My parents weren't really ugly (not when I was born at least, there was just a total ***** up with the genes thing) and it's a baby. If it's a baby girl, it takes about twelve years to develop boobs and they'll go saggy in about forty years + some kids of their own. If it's a baby boy, he'll go wrinkly too eventually. Why not pick a child based on the levels of intelligence of its parents. You know, something that will actually get them somewhere in life, something that lasts forever...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Treeroy

OP this is you and your kids in the future

051111_angelina_jolie_brad_pitt-spl259260_003110603132519.jpg
Original post by ILovePancakes

but are u good looking
Original post by fabstrawberry
Ikr? So true.

are you good looking? Would a good looking partner choose you? if not, what would you bring to the table? :confused:

no wonder why I don't visit this part of the forum smh
Original post by Thugnificent.
are you good looking? Would a good looking partner choose you? if not, what would you bring to the table? :confused:

no wonder why I don't visit this part of the forum smh

no? i'm just agreeing with someone..
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
It's not bad but to be honest most kids are ugly/chubby when they're young and can end up looking top notch after puberty

Posted from TSR Mobile

This guy got the ****in idea! The benevolent goddess that is Emma Blackery explains all in this video...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHGPUzPGI_Y
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending