Olympus health protein?

Watch
Ghandia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone, normally I buy my protein and supps from bulk powders/my protein but came across this ridiculously priced stuff...

http://www.olympushealth.com/olympus...otein-5kg.html

23.49g protein per 30g serving at £32.99 per 5k, or £29.99 if I buy two....

The issue I'm having is that it's a blend of whey, casein and soya protein.
I was already considering buying some casein concentrate for pre bed time shakes/bulking mixes so the fact that it's not a whey concentrate does not concern me.

The issue I have is the stigma surrounding soya protein due to its oestrogen content,or something like that. Evidently I'm no expert on the matter, hence why I'm asking! As soya protein is generally cheaper than other sources I'm assuming that a large proportion of this sites protein is going to be soya based but is this really so much of an issue?

The point I'm getting at is whether or not soya content is an actual problem or not, or if there are any blindingly obvious flaws I'm missing with this product?
username369234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stick to whey protein concentrate. Olympus health is a **** blend, you don't know the exact ratio of ingredients, a lot of users of such blends report stomach issues, poor quality sources of protein.

If you really are strapped for cash, get some, as at the end of the day it is protein. But, I would advise anyone to stretch a little further and get a WPC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hxf95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have had it before and let me tell you it was a pain in the a** to mix. I got it before the price increase so I enjoyed it. It was the mass gainer though so I HAD to blend it every time i drank it and it would still have chunks. If you dont mind the mixing and are short on cash go for it buddy
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The evidence on soy is quite limited. There are case studies of men eating a very large amounts of soy (10+ servings) and getting hormone related issues but studies where no difference has been found. It would seem to suggest that there are some people with sensitivity to soy when eaten in large amounts though I'm not sure it's clear if other factors have been totally ruled out. There was a study where soy protein was compared to whey post work out and while they both had the same testosterone level (same men took both at different times), the peak was shorter when taking soy. But the cause of that isn't known for sure and whether it matters for strength/muscle gain isn't known for sure.
Rick Jones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but I took over Olympus Health in December last year, and I'm happy to detail the components that make up PRO-XL. First, let me say that It IS a budget blend, no hiding that fact, and whilst you will get 22g of useable protein from a 30g scoop (with water), it's never going to mix as easily, taste as good or absorb as quickly as am entirely whey-based product, but we're currently selling 5kgs for £29.90. You couldn't buy whey at cost for that, so we make no bones that it is a blend as follows (I have made small improvements in batches post Jan 2016):

@32% is soy isolate – we don't totally skimp and use bean meal or soy concentrate, which would contain lots of flavonoids/phytoestrogens, and the isolate we use is quite high in amino acids and not much else. Most of the oligosaccharides are gone too, so it should be digestible for almost everyone.

@30% is whey concentrate – from grass-fed Irish cattle, and full of immunoglobulins and CLA, not bad stuff at all, and the cheapest form of whey we could get our hands on.

@28-30% is Micellar Casein – from the same cattle mentioned above. It accounts for some of the 'chalkiness' that some people dislike in PRO-XL, but it's decent quality casein, and very high in glutamine.

@8-10% is whey isolate. Too expensive to use a lot of, but it absorbs rapidly and helps the protease enzymes kick in fast to aid digestibility. They tried removing it to cut costs in 2014, but it was definitely a lesser product with even this small amount removed. This whey isolate is foamy as anything, and is is actually the residue that you see in the shaker, so wash it round and drink it, don't waste it!

There's some arginine added too, which accounts for the shortfall in the above ratios. It's a cheap amino acid but has some positive effects on metabolism. I'm well aware of 'spiking' being a problem in the industry, but this is a tiny amount that the previous management wanted in so that they could legitimately claim 80% protein. I intend to strip it out and if we do add a discrete amino, I'd prefer it was leucine, as this gets us to the 'magic' BCAA ratio for post training. That'll be happening by April.So there you have it. No bull, straight from the horse's mouth.

Best,

Rick Jones, CEO, Olympus Health
Rick Jones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but I took over Olympus Health in December last year, and I'm happy to detail the components that make up PRO-XL.

First, let me say that It IS a budget blend, no hiding that fact, and whilst you will get 22g of useable protein from a 30g scoop (with water), it's never going to mix as easily, taste as good or absorb as quickly as am entirely whey-based product, but we're currently selling 5kgs for £29.90. You couldn't buy whey at cost for that, so we make no bones that it is a blend as follows (I have made small improvements in batches post Jan 2016):

@32% is soy isolate – we don't totally skimp and use bean meal or soy concentrate, which would contain lots of flavonoids/phytoestrogens, and the isolate we use is quite high in amino acids and not much else. Most of the oligosaccharides are gone too, so it should be digestible for almost everyone.

@30% is whey concentrate – from grass-fed Irish cattle, and full of immunoglobulins and CLA, not bad stuff at all, and the cheapest form of whey we could get our hands on.

@28-30% is Micellar Casein – from the same cattle mentioned above. It accounts for some of the 'chalkiness' that some people dislike in PRO-XL, but it's decent quality casein, and very high in glutamine.

@8-10% is whey isolate. Too expensive to use a lot of, but it absorbs rapidly and helps the protease enzymes kick in fast to aid digestibility. They tried removing it to cut costs in 2014, but it was definitely a lesser product with even this small amount removed. This whey isolate is foamy as anything, and is is actually the residue that you see in the shaker, so wash it round and drink it, don't waste it!

There's some arginine added too, which accounts for the shortfall in the above ratios. It's a cheap amino acid but has some positive effects on metabolism. I'm well aware of 'spiking' being a problem in the industry, but this is a tiny amount that the previous management wanted in so that they could legitimately claim 80% protein. I intend to strip it out and if we do add a discrete amino, I'd prefer it was leucine, as this gets us to the 'magic' BCAA ratio for post training. That'll be happening by April.

So there you have it. No bull, straight from the horse's mouth.

Best,

Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rick Jones)
Don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but I took over Olympus Health in December last year, and I'm happy to detail the components that make up PRO-XL.

First, let me say that It IS a budget blend, no hiding that fact, and whilst you will get 22g of useable protein from a 30g scoop (with water), it's never going to mix as easily, taste as good or absorb as quickly as am entirely whey-based product, but we're currently selling 5kgs for £29.90. You couldn't buy whey at cost for that, so we make no bones that it is a blend as follows (I have made small improvements in batches post Jan 2016):

There's some arginine added too, which accounts for the shortfall in the above ratios. It's a cheap amino acid but has some positive effects on metabolism. I'm well aware of 'spiking' being a problem in the industry, but this is a tiny amount that the previous management wanted in so that they could legitimately claim 80% protein. I intend to strip it out and if we do add a discrete amino, I'd prefer it was leucine, as this gets us to the 'magic' BCAA ratio for post training. That'll be happening by April.

So there you have it. No bull, straight from the horse's mouth.

Best,

Interesting, cheers for posting
TheOpinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Interesting, cheers for posting
Isn't this a dead thread, it was back in 2014...
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheOpinion)
Isn't this a dead thread, it was back in 2014...
It was bumped by Rick, above
Rick Jones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apologies for thread-necro... I just figured that any indexed discussions on our protein could use an update, as we see lots of site referrals coming from them. If what I'm doing isn't allowed, please feel free to take my posts down, I really don't mind and I figured it was best to be open about what I was doing here, rather than the sneaky shilling of products I see on other forums!

Rick
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apologies for thread-necro... I just figured that any indexed discussions on our protein could use an update, as we see lots of site referrals coming from them. If what I'm doing isn't allowed, please feel free to take my posts down, I really don't mind and I figured it was best to be open about what I was doing here, rather than the sneaky shilling of products I see on other forums!

Rick
I look after this sub forum, your post is fine
TheOpinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
I look after this sub forum, your post is fine

Rick
As Angry Cucumber said. I apologise if I came across at rude
Rick Jones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not at all... I apologise for the unexplained zombie-thread!

R
bulldogz13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great budget products from Olympic health!!! I've tried 3 different flavours of xl protein blend, banana, toffee, and cookies and cream, I only wish there was a simple vanilla in this range... I've also tried 3 different flavours of the xl mass gainer, the chocolate, the strawberry, and the cookie's n cream... I also bought a very cheap 500g tub of creatine, all is fine, some flavours are better than others, but this company is hard to beat for value, the only other choice when on a tight budget I've found, is xl nutrition (the xtra protein n carbs) and the optimum health range of proteins from the same company, and with the similarity in names I guess this was exactly the market that Olympic health (vs the name 'optimum health') aimed for...
But I think these companies are all great, making it easy to sustain your macros on even the tightest of budgets. .. No frills nutrition... Some of which is even very palatable.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (61)
29.61%
No (145)
70.39%

Watched Threads