The Student Room Group

No LLB? No experience? No work placement? No TC.

So, I went to my uni's careers service, and I asked the representative about getting legal experience during my post-uni/ pre-GDL gap year, and he looked at me as though I were deranged.

He went on for about 15 minutes about how pointless it is to apply for work placements, as an undergrad, if you don't do an LLB. He basically just said my 'only hope' was to do CAB volunteering and enquire about shadowing at high-street firms.

Thoughts?

Edit: Although, I did get a VS rejection from Wilsons the day before. :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Iridescenzo
So, I went to my uni's careers service, and I asked the representative about getting legal experience during my post-uni/ pre-GDL gap year, and he looked at me as though I were deranged.

He went on for about 15 minutes about how pointless it is to apply for work placements, as an undergrad, if you don't do an LLB. He basically just said my 'only hope' was to do CAB volunteering and enquire about shadowing at high-street firms.

Thoughts?

Edit: Although, I did get a VS rejection from Wilsons the day before. :confused:

That sounds so wrong to me. I have been on a gap year this year, and have built up three weeks of work experience, gone to loads of open days and spent lots of time speaking to solicitors. You can defo build up work experience in a gap year. Look at winter vac schemes as well. There is no reason you can't get vac schemes without doing law degree.

Also it might be good to build up general business experience/ do some travelling if you want to work at an international firm.

I have gotten through a couple of TC applications and I have no vac schemes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by aspiringlawyer13
That sounds so wrong to me. I have been on a gap year this year, and have built up three weeks of work experience, gone to loads of open days and spent lots of time speaking to solicitors. You can defo build up work experience in a gap year. Look at winter vac schemes as well. There is no reason you can't get vac schemes without doing law degree.

Also it might be good to build up general business experience/ do some travelling if you want to work at an international firm.

I have to admit that travelling isn't one of my main reasons for getting into law; I'm more interested in regional practice.
If you don't mind my asking, what's been your 'main' pursuit during your gap year? Do you have a job; have you been temping in between placements, etc.?
I have to admit that travelling isn't one of my main reasons for getting into law; I'm more interested in regional practice.
If you don't mind my asking, what's been your 'main' pursuit during your gap year? Do you have a job; have you been temping in between placements, etc.?

I went travelling for three months (not for everyone, especially if you are going for regional) and then I worked in a small company for another three months. Look out for jobs that help you gain good skills, like team work and commercial awareness. Now I am tutoring (better paid than working full time!) and applying to training contracts/ vac schemes. I really wasn't on top of things with vac scheme aps. If I was doing it again I would start much earlier.
Reply 4
I went travelling for three months (not for everyone, especially if you are going for regional) and then I worked in a small company for another three months. Look out for jobs that help you gain good skills, like team work and commercial awareness. Now I am tutoring (better paid than working full time!) and applying to training contracts/ vac schemes. I really wasn't on top of things with vac scheme aps. If I was doing it again I would start much earlier.

That sounds interesting.

I was looking into paralegal work, but the problem is that, half the time, firms stipulate that you have to have the LPC. This is, obviously, a bit of a catch-22, because I don't intend to do the GDL until I get a TC. I was a bit lackadaisical with the VSs as well, unfortunately, but my academics and ECs are passable. I wonder which avenues are best to pursue. I missed most of the grad scheme deadlines, and finance isn't an option, since you're stuck with them for at least 3 years, unless you feel like paying back all of your tutelage fees.
That sounds interesting.

I was looking into paralegal work, but the problem is that, half the time, firms stipulate that you have to have the LPC. This is, obviously, a bit of a catch-22, because I don't intend to do the GDL until I get a TC. I was a bit lackadaisical with the VSs as well, unfortunately, but my academics and ECs are passable. I wonder which avenues are best to pursue. I missed most of the grad scheme deadlines, and finance isn't an option, since you're stuck with them for at least 3 years, unless you feel like paying back all of your tutelage fees.

With so many people unable to get TCs, quite a lot are now paralegaling, so its pretty hard. And most of them do seem to want the LPC, I think firms are basically using them as cheaper versions of trainees. Annoying really. I would really recommend working for a smaller company if you can't get a grad scheme. You get so much more responsibility, and if you don't want to do a grad scheme long term it might not be worth the effort.
Reply 6
With so many people unable to get TCs, quite a lot are now paralegaling, so its pretty hard. And most of them do seem to want the LPC, I think firms are basically using them as cheaper versions of trainees. Annoying really. I would really recommend working for a smaller company if you can't get a grad scheme. You get so much more responsibility, and if you don't want to do a grad scheme long term it might not be worth the effort.

This might seem like a lazy or facile question to act, but how did you find your position in your current company? Besides Reed, jobs.ac.uk, totaljobs etc. etc. etc., should I look anywhere else when the time comes?

Incidentally, my university's running a graduate fair in June; is it worth going to that?
Reply 7

Thoughts?

The representative is badly wrong. Most of the main law firms offer vacation placements to students either with or without a law degree, just as they also offer training contracts to such students. Apply, apply, apply (and don't restrict yourself to regional firms either ... the majority of the placements on offer are in London, so you can't afford to be picky at this stage).
This might seem like a lazy or facile question to act, but how did you find your position in your current company? Besides Reed, jobs.ac.uk, totaljobs etc. etc. etc., should I look anywhere else when the time comes?

Incidentally, my university's running a graduate fair in June; is it worth going to that?

I would go to the grad fair. Just chat and see what those companies are looking for. Some of them might be looking for people to start ASAP. I signed up to lots of intern companies like inspiring interns, instant impact, enternships, as well as looking on site like workinstartups, and signed up to gradlist. There are lots of minimum wage jobs out there in small companies/ start ups if you are in a position to take them.
Reply 9
Original post by Crumpet1
The representative is badly wrong. Most of the main law firms offer vacation placements to students either with or without a law degree, just as they also offer training contracts to such students. Apply, apply, apply (and don't restrict yourself to regional firms either ... the majority of the placements on offer are in London, so you can't afford to be picky at this stage).

I applied to 7 firms for VSs and have yet to receive any positive responses. I missed the January deadline :facepalm:
They were a mix of London and regional. None in Birmingham, though, annoyingly. I'll get some more in once I've dealt with my dissertation, which is currently consuming my life.

I would go to the grad fair. Just chat and see what those companies are looking for. Some of them might be looking for people to start ASAP. I signed up to lots of intern companies like inspiring interns, instant impact, enternships, as well as looking on site like workinstartups, and signed up to gradlist. There are lots of minimum wage jobs out there in small companies/ start ups if you are in a position to take them.

Should I take a stack of CVs? I'll take a look at those sites.
I'd prefer something in the Midlands, as I'm probably not in the best position to move long-term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending