The Student Room Group

Girls, were you picked on during school?

I've been called a liar,b*tch and someone so ugly that I'll never get a bf and I wanted to know, how did you overcome it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I was - nothing major, just occasional "Are you a boy or a girl?" queries and people laughing at me when I sang, even though I was good. And some girls in my year just not liking me for some reason. Some of the "popular" guys were mean to me too.

It upset me at the time and I was lonely at school till about year 9 when I found a great friendship group, and I was good at sports and music, which I think helped maintain a level of confidence despite the background hum of nastiness.

I also got over it as I got older and grew in self-awareness - this included a mixture of blossoming with puberty and braces and realising I wasn't ugly, as some people seemed to want me to believe.

Since school, some of the guys who were mean/indifferent have tried to get in touch/ask me out. Ha.
Forever and ever.

At primary school I overcame it by fighting everyone

At secondary school I overcame it by collecting loads of evidence and taking it to the school. I asked them to stop it. I still hate those girls though. If I ever see them again I won't be so nice about it.

At uni I overcame it by making friends with everyone so she had no friends in our flat and the only people that liked her were really bitchy horrible people.
I was, and in my experience, you just have to stick it out :frown:
Try not to let it show that it upsets you (even though it does!), and find things outside school that you enjoy doing where there are nice people!

It all changed for me when I moved to sixth form - it just disappeared because no one knew who I was! It was just one person at my secondary school that started the whole lot - and without them there was no reason for people to think any less of me. It was like a breath of fresh air having all those people gone.
I was. Mostly because of my hair colour and because I was apparently "anorexic". It used to really upset me at the time, but now I like my hair colour and I know I'm not anorexic. Luckily it wasn't anything severe so it didn't take much to get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I was never bullied but I know that a few of my friends were when they were in secondary school, they have real self esteem issues now which is sad. Bullies are just people seeking attention because they have personal issues. The advice I give my friends is love yourself it doesn't matter what people think - they will either love you or hate you.
Yes. And it drove my confidence into the ground and turned me into an incredibly socially anxious, intensely paranoid and defensive nervous wreck.
Original post by redferry
Forever and ever.

At primary school I overcame it by fighting everyone

At secondary school I overcame it by collecting loads of evidence and taking it to the school. I asked them to stop it. I still hate those girls though. If I ever see them again I won't be so nice about it.

Same, except I still kicked the **** out of a few people in secondary. I ended up getting a few people arrested and dropping out of school at 14 :tongue:

As for the reason OP, I was bullied because I was arty and had no interest in playing pathetic popularity games or mainstream culture than the others did. I didn't worship the ground the so called popular people walked on and refused to conform and that pissed them off, cause you know, people with different opinions are automatically bad :lolwut:
(edited 9 years ago)
Nah not really
Yes, overcame it in high school by reporting and pretty soon, they wouldn't dare to even look at me.
Original post by Maid Marian
Yes. And it drove my confidence into the ground and turned me into an incredibly socially anxious, intensely paranoid and defensive nervous wreck.

I know the feeling. Over the past couple of years my social anxiety has got a lot better, due the support of my boyfriend and parents, but every now and then I'll be sat on a bus, or stood in the middle of a shop and the feeling comes back to me. Absolutely terrifying.
Not really just the occasional comments
In year 7 I had a bob haircut and chubby cheeks. That says it all. I was hideous, I needed time to grow into my face lol. I always felt like an outsider, kind of drifting between cliques year by year. I was a "nobody" in terms of popularity until year 9/10 when I developed physically/lost the baby fat/grew out my hair. It was horrible, I can remember feeling really awkward at lunch time when a guy would talk to me or when I was expected to hang around with only one group of girls. I'd always been a bit different to the other girls in that way. There was this one girl in the group who always tried to push me out of things and humiliate me. It stopped when I approached her whilst she was alone and asked her what her problem was... power in numbers, you know? She backed off after I expressed how sick I was getting of her bs. My heart was beating so fast haha I can remember every word I said and how I did my best to dominate the conversation. After that, some girls turned against me and I voluntarily left the group. I made friends with a "nerd". I'm still friends with her to this day, she's a medical student at my uni now. I ****ing hated school. I hated all the girls and guys. I remember trampolining in P.E. in year 7 and seeing the "nerd" being laughed at by a group of girls. I defended her because my parents always told me that I should. They then laughed at me lol. It's crazy how things like that actually stick with you.

Now I'm at uni, I have met the nicest group of people who are so diverse. I'm glad I wasn't popular just for the sake that I got good grades and left that **** hole. The popular girl who bullied me now has 2 children and works part time at Burger King... Take from that what you will.
Yes quite a bit in year 7 by a group of horrible girls who were jealous of me and they would always throw paper at me and call me a nerd and tell me that I was anorexic and that I had a big nose. They once pulled my hair and punched me. I overcame this by moving schools and punching one of them in face.
Oh hell yeah. I have the gap in my tooth to prove it. Although, I will admit I deserved the 'bullying' in Year 7 ( no longer call it bullying because I was annoying, weird and scared the crap out of some of my classmates with some of the things I did/ said). That was probably due to my previous experience in primary school though
Reply 15
Yep

A combination of not being one of the popular stunning sporty girls with a tiny waist which instantly made those girls and their male counterparts the right to tread me into the ground a bit. That and another girl decided to make my life hell and spread rumour upon rumour making my life hell for a couple of years.

Overcame it by ignoring it and showing people that despite not being a natural supermodel I was actually a nice and decent person; although wasn't enough to win over a lot of the first mentioned.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Same, except I still kicked the **** out of a few people in secondary. I ended up getting a few people arrested and dropping out of school at 14 :tongue:

As for the reason OP, I was bullied because I was arty and had no interest in playing pathetic popularity games or mainstream culture than the others did. I didn't worship the ground the so called popular people walked on and refused to conform and that pissed them off, cause you know, people with different opinions are automatically bad
:lolwut:

Yup, exact same for me!

OP, I just stuck it out and surrounded myself with people who weren't judgemental hypocrites :tongue:
It got me down, but I think I just told myself that I'd rather be myself and be "weird" than change everything I did so the "cool" kids liked me, I didn't want anything to do with them anyway! :rolleyes:
Yes. Was bullied for years by a group of about 20 girls from the year below- started with silly name calling and abuse online, then turned to throwing things at me and shouting at me whenever they passed me in the corridor.

I tried to tell the school, but nothing was done. Then it got worse because they found out I tried to 'tell on them'. One girl brought in a knife to stab me, and ended up being expelled (and then ended up in prison for actually stabbing someone!)
Bullying continued to the point where I was getting death threats and abuse every single day at home and school. Ended up in hospital from an attempted over dose.

Still didn't stop, school didn't do anything. Only stopped when I eventually stopped reacting to it, realised they weren't worth my time. I guess they got bored.
Original post by bumblebee342
Yup, exact same for me!

OP, I just stuck it out and surrounded myself with people who weren't judgemental hypocrites :tongue:
It got me down, but I think I just told myself that I'd rather be myself and be "weird" than change everything I did so the "cool" kids liked me, I didn't want anything to do with them anyway! :rolleyes:

Yeah same. The thing that really confused them was I didn't want to be friends with them, I didn't like them. I just wanted them to leave me alone and let me do my own thing. They just couldn't accept that not everyone thinks the sun shines out their arse :lol:

I had no desire to be around them because I found them really boring and conventional. Since leaving school it's so much better
Surprisingly not, no.

I say surprisingly because I would have been an easy target. I wasn't a girly girl in the slightest, played football, wore shorts instead of skirts etc. wore glasses, was a bit of a nerd.

It probably helped that my parents were friends with the popular kids' parents :tongue: and in primary school I think the boys thought it was cool that I played football.
But no, I never had any trouble.

Quick Reply